Security Concerns

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
bornagainpenguin

Security Concerns

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2015-09-13, 21:47

How safe are we, running a browser from May? I love Pale Moon and use it everywhere I'm able to but it concerns me a bit that I may be using a browser that has possibly missed many bug patches and I really would rather not be stuck moving to Chrome (no chance) or back to Firefox (ugh! I'd rather use Safari!) but I really don't know if I'm running with critical vulnerabilities or not. So are we safe or do you recommend we move to something else as we wait for further developments?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Security Concerns

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-13, 22:26

It's a bit of a toss-up at the moment. Most really serious recent security vulnerabilities were N/A for the Pale Moon code base, but it's starting to seriously fall behind.

Mac development seems to have stalled though, so I think for the moment you would be better off switching to something else until a new one can be built again. We have to rely on a Mac-capable maintainer/builder and it seems they are currently not able to keep up with the task of building something more recent. There are no real final release builds yet, either - you are running a prerelease build if you are using a Mac version.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-09-13, 23:53

I'm not an OS X user so don't yell at me if I'm wrong!

If you have wine installed, you should be able to use the windows version. I will say in my experience with wine on linux, the fonts kind of look ugly and sometimes things don't render right. I don't know how it would be with using wine on OS X, but that should still be kept in mind.

handy

Unread post by handy » 2015-09-14, 08:32

I'm using a VPN more & more these days. The trackers never stop finding new ways to do what they do, apart from any of those others out there that want access to our systems for their own benefit.

Apart from the very useful security add-ons that you can run on PM, you can also install this hosts file, found here it is updated from time to time - so if it is worth something to you, keep an eye on the website.

Also, have a poke around on the website (not the easiest site to navigate) you will find instructions for OS/X & for Linux (for Linux, just copy the extracted hosts file to the end of your old one here: /etc/hosts . I'm sure that you do the same thing on OS/X as you do for Linux, though the path is probably different than that of Linux' /etc/hosts .