Pale Moon 25.2.1 build

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
BitVapor

Pale Moon 25.2.1 build

Unread post by BitVapor » 2015-01-31, 07:13

Hi all,

Here's an unofficial Mac build of the latest version of Pale Moon:

http://splunge.dreamhosters.com/palemoo ... .mac64.dmg

I built it on a Yosemite machine (using the 10.10 SDK) and tested it briefly on a Mavericks VM. It should be backwards compatible back to 10.5 so I'm especially interested in hearing from the hold-outs. :)

I'll try to get the status bar and theme fixed this month.

bladestorm91

Re: Pale Moon 25.2.1 build

Unread post by bladestorm91 » 2015-02-01, 16:57

I hope the official build comes soon, it annoys me a bit that Google and other online sites don't recognize the browser and give me outdated or nonworking versions of them.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-01, 17:29

bladestorm91 wrote:I hope the official build comes soon, it annoys me a bit that Google and other online sites don't recognize the browser and give me outdated or nonworking versions of them.
That .. isn't going to fix poor UA detection used by such sites.. What?!

Venom3D

Unread post by Venom3D » 2015-02-03, 21:46

It's working just fine on my Mavericks iMac, though I had to manually set general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to true.

Glaurung

Unread post by Glaurung » 2015-02-07, 20:02

It loads and appears to work properly on 10.6.8. have not done much with it yet.

Problem: copying over my profile from firefox resulted in all the text input fields on all websites disappearing... not good. Is there any way to use sync to pull in my settings from firefox (using the old version of firefox sync, as found in pale moon 24)? Or is that no longer possible now that Pale Moon uses its own sync engine?

If not sync, then what are the minimum files I should copy over to retain my bookmarks, open tabs, and saved passwords/cookies?

Thank you so much for making this version. I was getting very tired of playing UI whack-a-mole with the mac version of firefox.

rampancy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by rampancy » 2015-02-10, 10:23

Works, looks, and feels perfectly fine on my Mac (OS X 10.10.2, 2011 11.6" MacBook Air). Unity Web Player and Silverlight still don't work (as far as I know), but they're not really significant deal breakers, IMO.

I really have to thank you for continuing to work on this. I've been really hurting for a lightweight, no-nonsense alternative Mozilla-based browser since the sad demise of Camino, and Pale Moon has really made me happy in that regard. :)

MoonSavvy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by MoonSavvy » 2015-02-10, 19:52

Working perfectly fine on Lion 10.7.5 running in 32-bit kernel mode (for GMA950 driver compatibility). Thanks to you, BitVapor, for creating this OS X build. As a regular user of Win and Mac platforms it is great to have this excellent browser on both. Makes for a completely reliable, fast and seamless browsing experience regardless of OS. Great work.

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2015-02-14, 15:06

Works great for me on 10.6 (Snow Leopard). :thumbup:

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I'll be back with anything I find. I enjoy the whole Camino-esque feel. PM looks like the closest thing to browsing bliss I've seen in a long time.

~HM~

himie

Unread post by himie » 2015-02-23, 20:48

Been using this build for a while everything synced fine from my windows palemoon and almost everything is working except for greasemonkey add-on which says it is incompatible with newmoon 25.2.1 is this a bug with newmoon or the add-on version check?

zombieman

Unread post by zombieman » 2015-02-23, 21:02

MacBook Pro, early 2011 edition... Not THAT long after an "Internet Recovery" to rebuild, but updated to 10.7.5, and "NewMoon" seems to be running pretty well - have done all my usual tweaks that I do to Pale Moon when I have to use Windows ;) and it's responding well. I turn the toolkit UI on for downloads, and turn off URL formatting, plus load up extensions Stylish (with a few homebrew CSS styles) and SocialFixer.

Thanks to everyone for their work on this. I love separate search boxes (so very rare now) so had kept my Lion 10.7 at Safari 5 (much to the annoyance of so many sites these days), but looks like there is a "better" option now. :D

realmdee

Unread post by realmdee » 2015-02-24, 07:29

Hi cyansmoker I would just like to say thanks for this OS X build of Pale Moon. Its eems to be working well on my mid 2009 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.5 for the most part. One thing I noticed though is the highlighting of the drop dawn menus in Yahoo mail seem not to be working. Also I was unable t register for this forum with this browser or Firefox ESR. I had to use Safari. This was because I was unable to see the confirmation code do to it being completely absent. And I seem to be getting older layouts of Google, but that dose not bother me as I kind of like it better.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-02-24, 13:47

realmdee wrote:Hi cyansmoker I would just like to say thanks for this OS X build of Pale Moon.
If I'm not mistaken, BitVapor is the person responsible for this OS X build of Pale Moon, not Cyansmoker.
Off-topic:
At one time, Cyansmoker was the maintainer of linux Pale Moon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-24, 13:51

Night Wing wrote:
realmdee wrote:Hi cyansmoker I would just like to say thanks for this OS X build of Pale Moon.
If I'm not mistaken, BitVapor is the person responsible for this OS X build of Pale Moon, not Cyansmoker.
Off-topic:
At one time, Cyansmoker was the maintainer of linux Pale Moon.
That's my bad for having it in the forum description XD I'll update that
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-02-25, 16:35

Works great on 10.9.5, thanks a lot. :)

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2015-03-03, 19:38

i actuallt prefer the older, much cleaner compatibility mode versions of google.

When needed, i have a user agent switch.

pdwalker

Unread post by pdwalker » 2015-03-10, 04:21

late 2011 MBP
OSX 10.10.2
no browser extensions (yet)

so far, so good

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-10, 09:45

With some luck and thanks to a generous offer, I *may* be able to get some mac hardware myself in the near future - which may help getting at least the front-end fixed up to a publishable state. It'd still be experimental at first, of course, but might get a bit more movement on the Mac front.
Not exactly dev class, but should have enough "oomph" to at least work with.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-03-11, 14:11

Great news for Mac users, and kudos of course to the source of the generous offer.