No more maintainer for OS X

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

No more maintainer for OS X

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-04, 08:27

I'm sad to inform everyone that as of immediately, we have no maintainer for Mac OS X anymore.
Our previous maintainer for Mac and Linux has decided to leave as per immediate effect.

For the time being I can build Linux myself, but Mac is a whole different story and it will have to be put on ice.

If you think you have what it takes in terms of hardware, knowledge of the Mac OS, and are willing to do some (small) code R&D/theme work, work with us to solve build issues, and be active in user support (which is going to be needed for Mac users moreso than Linux) to help us get a proper release of Pale Moon for Mac OS X going, then please get in touch with me. Be warned this is not trivial, and will require some dedication and free time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TanKe

Re: No more maintainer for OS X

Unread post by TanKe » 2014-11-13, 00:08

I never knew it was so hard to build mac apps....or maybe not enough mac geeks? I would like to know how to code but i don't. What i would like to know is If someone fails to do something that loves to do, then what's up with everything else?

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2014-11-13, 04:18

Back to Firefox v28 then I guess. If I'm going to run insecure, might as well go whole hog right?

Personally I've been very disappointed with my Macbook. When I first decided to go with OSX it was after Gnome 3.0 came out and Canonical switched to "unity" as their desktop. I remembered hearing about how well integrated OSX was and how if you needed an open source app you could install it with Fink. I believed it all. Especially when you kept seeing Macbooks show up at developer conferences in the pictures of events.

Then little bit by little bit stuff started to break. Perian went away. Various apps I missed simply didn't exist and I needed to build them myself. As well as the libraries and pretty much everything else too. Like the whole desktop everything else. I had no idea it was this difficult in Apple's garden.

As soon as I can get a clean download (I have the bug which causes downloads over a certain size to corrupt and my attempts to download OSX Maverick have failed for the last dozen times, but) my goal is to install OSX to an SD Card so I have a working system for my iPod and for any needed firmware updates, but then I'm installing Ubuntu-Mate and being done with OSX.

Why is it every application or operating system I like is determined to ruin the interface for some other platform. They pitch it as growing the base but all they do is lose the one they have now!

Forgive my rant. I'm frustrated with this whole situation. I know you're doing everything you can and when I use Pale Moon on my Linux boxes everything works great.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-13, 05:35

If, and I STRESS IF, you are going to run back to Firefox.. Don't use Firefox 28. The last version of ESR24 is most secure out of any pre-australis builds. Though it isn't maintained anymore and I discourage running any version of insecure Firefox.. (Well Firefox at all these days :P) but if that is your decision and you can't be dissuaded from doing so AND you are going to run an old version.. Then ESR24 would be your best choice out of a bunch of really bad ones.

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2014-11-13, 23:06

Matt A Tobin wrote:If, and I STRESS IF, you are going to run back to Firefox.. Don't use Firefox 28. The last version of ESR24 is most secure out of any pre-australis builds. Though it isn't maintained anymore and I discourage running any version of insecure Firefox.. (Well Firefox at all these days :P) but if that is your decision and you can't be dissuaded from doing so AND you are going to run an old version.. Then ESR24 would be your best choice out of a bunch of really bad ones.
Do you mean Firefox 24.8.1esr?

Frankly considering my choices are A) Run Chrome Lite and waste time mucking around trying to retain the Firefox experience I had before, B) Run the build of Pale Moon posted here (which is increasingly breaking while trying to use Google services, etc) C) switch to an entirely different browser altogether. I really don't want to do that last one and I'm not really enthused about playing 'what broke this time' by going to the main branch. I would have simply stuck with the last known version of Pale Moon but as I said it's breaking more and more...

I'm even wondering at this point if it'd be worth it to get the Windows build of Pale Moon and try it in Darwine until I can get Linux installed and be done with the whole thing. At least I know there is a working Linux build.

Venom3D

Unread post by Venom3D » 2014-11-14, 03:35

It's unfortunate that there's no more maintainer for the Mac build. Aside from the missing Status Bar, it was good while it lasted. Since I'm not a fan of either Safari or Australis Firefox, I'm now using PM4XP via PlayOnMac.