Flash doesn't work on Mac OS

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
flashnowork
New to the forum
New to the forum

Flash doesn't work on Mac OS

Unread post by flashnowork » 2024-01-11, 17:43

I tried installing various versions of Flash onto this browser, and it doesn't automatically appear. When I go into Library and drag the addon into the browser, it says "this addon cannot be install because it appears to be corrupt". I am also on a silicon mac if that makes a difference. Any solutions?

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Flash doesn't work on Mac OS

Unread post by wicknix » 2024-01-12, 03:41

Flash works fine on Intel MacOS. Highly doubt it’ll work on Apple Silicon. It might via Rosetta2, but i don’t own any M1/M2/M3 machines to verify. That being said, you don’t drag the flash plugin and drop it in the browser. You run the flash installer and let it drop the plugin in it’s proper directory which is typically /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ . The browser will automatically pick this up, which PM does.
Flash-Mac-Intel.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-12, 04:26

flashnowork wrote:
2024-01-11, 17:43
I tried installing various versions of Flash onto this browser, and it doesn't automatically appear. When I go into Library and drag the addon into the browser, it says "this addon cannot be install because it appears to be corrupt". I am also on a silicon mac if that makes a difference. Any solutions?
That could be the issue.

Apple Silicon Macs didn't exist back when Flash was still supported, so I doubt it was extensively tested. Flash was discontinued around December 2020, and the first Apple Silicon Mac launched in November 2020. They were definitely winding down Flash by that point, and not porting it to new platforms.

I know that Flash on Linux can be very sensitive to things like library versions, what video drivers you use, and the difference between Xorg and Wayland, meaning you can have to really fiddle with it to get it to work. I wouldn't be surprised if running on ARM is enough to break Flash Player on Mac.

So are you using a native ARM version of Pale Moon, or are you running the Intel version? Flash would obviously target the Intel Macs only, with older versions perhaps targeting PowerPC, but ARM was after its time. I don't use Mac myself, but I am painfully familiar with the woes of getting Flash Player to work on modern platforms.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2024-01-12, 05:29

What people have said is correct... I have tested Flash on Apple Silicon, but you have to use the Intel version in Rosetta 2 emulation.

There is no ARM (Apple Silicon) version of Flash and the Intel Flash plugin won't work with the ARM (Apple Silicon) Pale Moon.

I will say I have not tested it on Apple Silicon since MacOS 11... so it is possible there may be new problems on later MacOS versions that I am unaware of. On Intel I have used it in at least a limited capacity all the way through MacOS 14.