Newly installed Pale Moon crashes on open

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
jyscao

Newly installed Pale Moon crashes on open

Unread post by jyscao » 2023-09-24, 02:09

Hello, I'm a returning user of Pale Moon from many years ago. First time trying it out on a Mac though.
As the title says, I downloaded Mac OS ARM (OS X 10.7 or later) installer, confirmed the checksum matches, installed it on my laptop, tried opening it, and got the attached crash report saying "Pale Moon quit unexpectedly."

Here are some of my basic system stats:
  • OS - macOS 11.6
  • CPU - M1
  • Memory - 16 GB
If anyone knows what the problem might be and can help, that would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Newly installed Pale Moon crashes on open

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-09-24, 04:46

Before going more in-depth, can you do me a favor and try an older ARM build?

https://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/3 ... .arm64.dmg

For instance?

The last couple ARM builds were done with the new Xcode and I had problems with it on Intel running on old versions of MacOS... I didn't think the ARM versions would have the same problem, but I no longer have MacOS 11 installed on my ARM Mac (only 13 and 14 right now).

jyscao

Unread post by jyscao » 2023-09-25, 17:51

Good suggestion. I tried every Mac arm64 version here: https://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/32.x/
  • 32.0.* - “Pale Moon” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
  • 32.1.0 - “Pale Moon” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
  • all other versions except 32.4.0 - same "Pale Moon quit unexpectedly." error as my original crash report
And finally, 32.4.0 when installed works and opens the browser.

Hope that helps to give you some clues. Let me know if I can assist in any other way.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-10-03, 20:46

Thanks for testing that out, please try 32.4.1, I switched back to using Xcode 14.3.1.

Xcode 15 which the latest build was made using has a new linker and it seems to cause compatibility problems with older versions of MacOS. I started using it because I upgraded my ARM machine to MacOS 14 Sonoma and they try to force you to use Xcode 15 with Sonoma for some reason.

I'll stick with 14.3.1 until I can verify that things work with older versions of MacOS.

jyscao

Unread post by jyscao » 2023-10-15, 07:41

Appreciate your work. I'm successfully running 32.4.1 now. Although since my last message, I bit the bullet and upgraded from macOS 11 to 14, because my outdated OS version was really starting to hinder some of the software I wanted to use. Anyway thanks again for your efforts, I know open source work is (mostly) a thankless job. If I run into something else off, I'll make a new post. But as far as I'm concerned, this is no longer a real issue.