libnpjp2 on Mac OS with M2

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
dzuliani

libnpjp2 on Mac OS with M2

Unread post by dzuliani » 2023-07-27, 15:37

Hello everybody

I need to run Java from Pale Moon. Pale Moon is running on my new macbook pro with M2 CPU. I was able to install an old version of Java supported by the macOS (Ventura 13.4.1). Java is working because I can run some jar files directly from a shell terminal.
Unfortunately Java doesn't start when I try to run it from a web site that needs Java. I've read the trick for doing that on Linux (you need to create a link such: (ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/jre[ver]/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so), but what about the macOS? Is there any solution to this problem?

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: libnpjp2 on Mac OS with M2

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-07-27, 15:48

I'll have to try that myself later, but just so we are on the same page, can you tell me which Java you installed and which version of Pale Moon you are using? Are you using the native ARM version or the Intel version? It is possible that the Java version you installed's NPAPI plugin is Intel, so you'd need to be running the Intel version of Pale Moon to run Java embedded. Also check to see if the Java plugin is loaded by entering "about:plugins" in the URL bar.

I have not tried to do this on my M1, so I'll try to replicate it when I get some time tonight.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-27, 15:52

about:plugins should be able to at least show you is the NPAPI plugin is present or not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dzuliani

Unread post by dzuliani » 2023-07-27, 16:11

dbsoft wrote:
2023-07-27, 15:48
I'll have to try that myself later, but just so we are on the same page, can you tell me which Java you installed and which version of Pale Moon you are using? Are you using the native ARM version or the Intel version? It is possible that the Java version you installed's NPAPI plugin is Intel, so you'd need to be running the Intel version of Pale Moon to run Java embedded. Also check to see if the Java plugin is loaded by entering "about:plugins" in the URL bar.

I have not tried to do this on my M1, so I'll try to replicate it when I get some time tonight.
Hello,
Java version is: 1.8.0_192
Pale Moon Version is 32.3.1 (64-bit) Mac OS ARM
about:plugins -> No installed plugins found

as you stated the problem is probably caused by the ARM version of Pale moon installed I'll try the Intel one

dzuliani

Unread post by dzuliani » 2023-07-28, 06:54

Ok,

I've switched Pale Moon from the ARM native version to the Intel version and now it's working. Thank you so much.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-28, 07:20

The ARM native version requires and ARM native NPAPI plugin for the browser (unlike extensions, plugins are architecture-dependent as they are compiled binaries).
The JAva installer probably did not include an ARM native NPAPI plugin, which is why it did not show up in about:plugins. It likely supplied Intel plugins only.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite