New Moon vs Firefox Legacy?

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
EirikrHinnRauthi

New Moon vs Firefox Legacy?

Unread post by EirikrHinnRauthi » 2020-09-28, 08:44

Hello! I'm getting a few older MacBooks upgraded to Mountain Lion with NexPostFacto and have been researching web browsers to use.

It looks like Firefox Legacy for Mountain Lion is based off Firefox 71.
Which version of Firefox is New Moon based off of?

I just downloaded it on my High Sierra machine and all of the "what's my browser" sites just give the New Moon version along with "Firefox Variant" (which is like "bruh frfr?")

Alrighty that's about all. It just seems like a collaborative effort for the "Mac side of things" would be really awesome.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: New Moon vs Firefox Legacy?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-09-28, 11:19

Looks like you need to do a LOT more research before anyone other than people who don't actually know much more than you will respond.

Moonbird
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Moonbird » 2020-09-28, 14:27

I feel a bit sorry for you, dear thread starter. It's like you have accidently stepped into a turd on the street and visited someone (the Pale Moon forum) and now the carpet is messed up and now the house owners (the developers) are very angry. New Moon is another moon than Pale Moon. You should ask questions about it in the MSFN forum.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-28, 14:45

New Moon is unofficial branding for Pale Moon. At least until tomorrow. So, Mac builds have been using that since they are unofficial, thus far. So the one stepping in a turd and tracking filth into the house is you, Moonbird, by equating anything with that name to roytams builds and redirecting someone on at least endorsed builds to a group of respectless, selfimportant hackers who now force us to rebrand because they refuse.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-09-29, 06:43

The one pushed on MSFN is called My Pal.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-09-29, 07:30

Not really, dude. They are all pushed by MSFN but it is Roytam1's Browser browsers and New Moons (yes 27 and 28) that are pushed by the MSFN the most. MyPal is fedor2.

I dunno why this is even brought up in a mac thread. BUT aside from Moonchild, I was right 100% in what I said in my post. Moonbird and Moonbat failed the test. Such a shame.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-29, 08:22

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-09-29, 07:30
I dunno why this is even brought up in a mac thread.
Because someone decided to drag that filth in.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-10-03, 19:45

EirikrHinnRauthi wrote:
2020-09-28, 08:44
Hello! I'm getting a few older MacBooks upgraded to Mountain Lion with NexPostFacto and have been researching web browsers to use.

It looks like Firefox Legacy for Mountain Lion is based off Firefox 71.
Which version of Firefox is New Moon based off of?
Firefox Legacy is basically just whatever version of Firefox it is based on modified to work on that version of MacOS...
Pale Moon and UXP are forks that basically continue some of the original Mozilla designs that it has subsequently dropped during the evolution of Firefox. Many of these things are not visible to a user, it is about designing applications and extensions. Which version Pale Moon is based off of is not a good metric for what it does.

My thoughts from a user point of view looking for a browser to use on old Macs that cannot run modern systems:

Pale Moon: Themeable, Supports abandoned Extensions, Single process rendering (better resource usage... less memory and CPU)
Firefox Legacy: Australis interface, Supports new(er) Firefox Extensions, Multiprocess rendering (better responsiveness, more stable)

There is no reason you can't install both and use the one you like better, or use the one that works best for a given situation.

Brian
Last edited by dbsoft on 2020-10-03, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-10-03, 20:20

Off-topic:
dbsoft wrote:
2020-10-03, 19:45
Pale Moon and UXP are forks that basically continue of some of the original Mozilla designs that it has subsequently dropped during the evolution of Firefox.
That sounds just a tad uncharitable to both Pale Moon & UXP.

Pale Moon is the obvious true successor to the historical Firefox, and has a geist much more similar to the spirit of the related community in the past than that of modern Mozilla Firefox.

Calling it anything less would be not too far off from equating it with (or at least putting it in roughly the same category as) something like Waterfox, which is an insult to Pale Moon.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-03, 20:22

Off-topic:
I am glad somebody fuckin gets it. You have come a long way my Off-Topic friend.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-10-03, 20:24

Tharthan wrote:
2020-10-03, 20:20
That sounds just a tad uncharitable to both Pale Moon & UXP.

Pale Moon is the obvious true successor to the historical Firefox, and has a geist much more similar to the spirit of the related community in the past than that of modern Mozilla Firefox.

Calling it anything less would be not too far off from equating it with (or at least putting it in roughly the same category as) something like Waterfox, which is an insult to Pale Moon.[/offtopic]
Not sure what you mean by uncharitable, we basically said the same thing using different words?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-03, 20:37

dbsoft wrote:
2020-10-03, 20:24
Not sure what you mean by uncharitable, we basically said the same thing using different words?
Maybe that's what you intended, but that's not what your statement implies.
Pale Moon has 10 years of work invested in it by multiple people. It's not just a "continuation of some design principles Mozilla abandoned", it is much, much more than that.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-10-03, 20:52

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-03, 20:37
Maybe that's what you intended, but that's not what your statement implies.
Pale Moon has 10 years of work invested in it by multiple people. It's not just a "continuation of some design principles Mozilla abandoned", it is much, much more than that.
That is what I intended; I did not say it is "just" that... but that is the thing that is important to me and why I love Pale Moon/UXP.

The spirit and the design nuts and bolts are not really important to users... they want to know how their experience will be with it, will things work, how do they interact with it, what can they do and what can't they do. The original poster seemed to be a general user, so I gave a brief explanation of how historically Pale Moon and Firefox Legacy differ (Firefox Legacy following Firefox directly and Pale Moon/UXP following the historical Mozilla "spirit" it has since abandoned), then explained the experience they will have actually using the two applications.

Some people like the new Firefox direction, some people like the old one that Pale Moon/UXP now takes... so user experiences will vary.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-03, 21:29

But that's the thing. We're not taking "the old/legacy Firefox direction", saying so is one step shy of calling Pale Moon "old and insecure" and you can be sure plenty of people will read it like that.
The fact that we happen to keep a number of things that Mozilla dropped on the floor isn't for the sake of keeping those things because Mozilla dropped them -- it just happens to align with our own direction, along with plenty of new things that are neither old nor new "Firefox"

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-10-03, 21:37

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-03, 21:29
But that's the thing. We're not taking "the old/legacy Firefox direction", saying so is one step shy of calling Pale Moon "old and insecure" and you can be sure plenty of people will read it like that.
I am not sure what other people will think, but this is my thought, and what I was trying to get across: "Pale Moon is where Firefox would be if it had not changed directions."

Not sure why people would read either of my statements as "old and insecure." I specifically said that the fork point is not a good indicator of where Pale Moon is in relation to Firefox.
Last edited by dbsoft on 2020-10-03, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-03, 21:38

People in general don't know what a fork point means.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-10-03, 21:39

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-03, 21:38
People in general don't know what a fork point means.
Which is why I said it like this: "Which version Pale Moon is based off of is not a good metric for what it does."

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-10-03, 22:45

Off-topic:
2020-09-29, 07:30
Not really, dude. They are all pushed by MSFN but it is Roytam1's Browser browsers and New Moons (yes 27 and 28) that are pushed by the MSFN the most. MyPal is fedor2.
Does anybody know what the letters "MSFN" stand for? I went to that site out of curiosity and if it says, I couldn't find it. I assume the MS stands for Microsoft?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-03, 23:08

Off-topic:
Used to stand for Microsoft Forum Network. Was a wonderful place one upon a time. A place of wonder, experimentation, debate, learning, speculation, and exploration. Time obviously was not kind to that place.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-10-03, 23:13

Off-topic:
2020-10-03, 23:08
Off-topic:
Used to stand for Microsoft Forum Network.
Thanks. I don't think I've ever come across this website before (but I could be wrong).