If you really release PaleMoon for Mac please create a different library folder

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
pmoontgs

If you really release PaleMoon for Mac please create a different library folder

Unread post by pmoontgs » 2020-08-10, 09:17

This mean save the current data on New Moon and the new data on Pale Moon, instead of saving the same on the same folder. in such way we can use 2 browser at the same time, like we can use firefox esr, firefox nightly, nightly unofficial, f. beta, f. dev, firefox (or edge, brave, opera, etc.) at the same time since they store data on different folders.

This is totally different than the situation of using same browser with multiple user (like chrome), which is cool too. we already talk about that.

PS: better would be to say change New Moon storage from PaleMoon to New Moon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: If you really release PaleMoon for Mac please create a different library folder

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-10, 09:22

Why would we do that? It would just create a migration headache for people currently using unofficial builds. If they become official, the transition to the official version should be as painless as possible, especially for Mac users.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

pmoontgs

Re: If you really release PaleMoon for Mac please create a different library folder

Unread post by pmoontgs » 2020-08-10, 09:27

Is not just a replace of the name in the code? instead of writing /library/appsupport/palemoon you write */newmoon, this wouldn't require a lot (don't know, i'm not a dev).

the reason is already wrote before, so we can run two profile at the same time and switching app would be much faster too. now we don't consider the situation of running multi account inside the same browser. if the app is the same, is like opening 50 chrome profile and trying to switch between profile. is just a chaos. more browser are always better than just 1 with a lot of account. even if we need to copy library files to other user.

PS: i know that a lot of user use just 1-2 browser and maybe even just 1 account; so they don't use such strategy at all.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-10, 09:32

I do hate having to repeat myself.
The unofficial builds are intended to be the same as the official ones with intent to have a natural migration path with that in mind, once they become official. It is not supposed to be a separate browser.

If we were to do what you suggest, we'd be creating two problems for almost all users:
  1. People currently on New Moon will lose their profile because the location changes.
  2. People on New Moon with the changed library path will face the same issue yet again (and worse, less obviously so) when the builds become official. Any old profile in the Pale Moon location would be used when that happens.
So no, definitely not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-08-10, 09:34

pmoontgs wrote:
2020-08-10, 09:27
Is not just a replace of the name in the code? instead of writing /library/appsupport/palemoon you write */newmoon, this wouldn't require a lot (don't know, i'm not a dev).
Programming is a strange beast, and things that seem simple on the surface often aren't.

Besides, once an official build is released, why would you want to continue using the unofficial "New Moon" build?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

pmoontgs

Unread post by pmoontgs » 2020-08-10, 09:47

Moonchild wrote:
2020-08-10, 09:32
I do hate having to repeat myself.
The unofficial builds are intended to be the same as the official ones with intent to have a natural migration path with that in mind, once they become official. It is not supposed to be a separate browser.

If we were to do what you suggest, we'd be creating two problems for almost all users:
  1. People currently on New Moon will lose their profile because the location changes.
  2. People on New Moon with the changed library path will face the same issue yet again (and worse, less obviously so) when the builds become official. Any old profile in the Pale Moon location would be used when that happens.
So no, definitely not.
ok.

PS: that is not really true. even if i'm not a dev, a lot of macap dev did this when they released the setapp version (or they release the next generation). the data is still not lose, since you just need to manually copy the content from one folder to the other (if auto copy is not available), like now we need to do for firefox if we want to copy library files on different mac user. i know that maybe the copy of library files doesn't work, like it happened between firefox nightly and nightly unofficial, but shouldn't be the case of newmoon-palemoon.

i understand your point (especially to remove the unofficial version), so i stop to write here.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-08-10, 10:01

The point is if there is an official build for Mac in the future there would be no further need for New Moon, and it would make no sense at all to run both.
It's like running Firefox along with Waterfox (non Classic) - each negates the point of having the other one.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

pmoontgs

Unread post by pmoontgs » 2020-08-10, 11:15

moonbat wrote:
2020-08-10, 10:01
The point is if there is an official build for Mac in the future there would be no further need for New Moon, and it would make no sense at all to run both.
It's like running Firefox along with Waterfox (non Classic) - each negates the point of having the other one.
This is the reason why i wrote "i know not all people use the same strategy" or they don't simply need such things...

i use firefox, nightly, f.nighty, f.beta, f. dev, f. esr, waterfox current, waterfox classic, newmoon, tor, cliqz all at the same time for different goals (PS: i don't like seamonkey, you cannot install multiple container at all, so i don't use it frequently; waterfox old get's in conflict with waterfox classic, so i don't use it). this is the point of the post, not that "each negates the point of having the other one" since every browser has + and - and with every browser you can do a lot other things (if you use multiple accounts like me). But as i said, there is no goal for run both app at the same time (like chrome beta e dev), so i stop here to explain.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-10, 11:56

Let me clarify the answer for you: No.

The reasons why as well as other reasons I could state based on historical and practical experience with the appdata situation.. etc. But I bet you will continue to argue for it. So the answer is no. I don't know why you feel the need to run several versions and channels of the same 3 browsers but no.

However, if you would like me to rephrase it.. Request Denied or perhaps this little diddy would better suit you.. RESOLVED WONTFIX.

We clear now?