Is switch profile not available on mac?

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
pmoontgs

Is switch profile not available on mac?

Unread post by pmoontgs » 2020-08-06, 19:33

i see it, but i cannot create a new profile.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Is switch profile not available on mac?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-08-06, 19:40

pmoontgs wrote:
2020-08-06, 19:33
i see it
You see what where?
Whatever you may think, it's not self-evident.
Please describe specifically what you tried to do, and don't assume that anyone will or should understand anything that you don't actually explain.

pmoontgs

Unread post by pmoontgs » 2020-08-06, 19:46

i see this https://imgur.com/a/Qi5nOCC, but as you can see there is no + for adding new one.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-06, 20:08

You can use about:profiles but that doesn't give you a way to SWITCH only launch (effectively using --no-remote) and create from within the browser. It is very feature incomplete. The other way is to do it by command line as you would on linux.. Just need to find [appname]-bin within the .app package. Remember, .app packages are actually just folders treated in a special way by Finder. I don't know off hand the .app directory structure but just find the actual runtime binary and issue it a --profile-manager and it will work.

I may update my Profile Switcher extension to restore full profile manager capabilities in the future making it virtually identical to what Borealis and Interlink have. I am still debating it and if I can find time to actually do it. Likely will tho just not this minute.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-08-06, 20:15

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-08-06, 20:08
You can use about:profiles but that doesn't give you a way to SWITCH only launch (effectively using --no-remote) and create from within the browser. It is very feature incomplete. The other way is to do it by command line as you would on linux
Then is this a known problem with the Mac?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-06, 20:28

I don't SEE a problem. The only issue here is that mac can't easily access the profile manager proper because of the way Apple does their .app bundles. That and not many people realize how they work. I do because I am .. well me.. But yeah.

Not an issue with either UXP Applications or my extension. Simply a case of by design from multiple points making this a bit of a bitch on the Macintosh.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-08-06, 20:36

Oh. I had no idea.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-06, 21:16

Still when I get around to expanding Profile Switcher it will be fine.