Pale Moon 28.9.1

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Pale Moon 28.9.1

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2020-04-11, 06:52

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Pale Moon 28.9.1

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-11, 08:20

Except it isn't Pale Moon quite yet is it?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2020-04-11, 09:01

As we both know and as it says in red at the top of this board, it is not an official build, so it does not use the official Pale Moon branding and calls itself New Moon.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-04-11, 09:17

Everything works as intended, again. Except still cannot log into Citibank Online.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-11, 09:46

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
2020-04-11, 09:17
Everything works as intended, again. Except still cannot log into Citibank Online.
And that has zero to do with Macintosh and nothing has been determined or figured out about shittybank so your post is in the wrong section, duplicating an established thread, absolutely meaningless and entirely pointless noise.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-04-11, 09:58

Never said it was a Mac exclusive issue. Also, uncalled for. Could have told me to not bring it up here again, but using different words. I would listen.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-11, 10:40

Off-topic:
Stop detracting from the work being done to try and actually organize Macintosh releases.
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
2020-04-11, 09:58
I would listen.
Except you have been warned twice now for the exact same behaviour, proving otherwise!
We won't warn you again.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2020-04-12, 05:47

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-04-11, 09:46
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
2020-04-11, 09:17
And that has zero to do with Macintosh and nothing has been determined or figured out about shittybank so your post is in the wrong section, duplicating an established thread, absolutely meaningless and entirely pointless noise.
One of the most important things: ...if you can't make any sort of constructive comment, then please don't reply. This includes finding other topics with a similar subject and posting your opinion there without adding anything to the discussion otherwise. # This was not a constructive comment.

Don't start or fuel flame wars. This was purposefully antagonistic, which seems the very definition of "starting a flame war".

Please mind your language. No excessive swearing or cursing. As KC3 pointed out, this was not needed.

Did KC3 need to be reminded about off-topic posts? Ok, sure, but doing so in a way that violates the rules we're all supposed to follow? Not cool, but whatever. One rule for thee, another rule for the rest of us.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-12, 06:12

And I violated none of those rules.

I particulatly enjoyed how you tried to, of all things, to throw the excessive profanity rule at me. Cursing is allowed on this forum the rule applies to excessive swearing where excessive is a case by case judgement call.

The comment was constructive because it pointed out how unconstructive his comment was.

Also, if I want to start a "flame war" that is not how I would do it. I don't even start flame wars I start real wars with systematic campaigns designed to purge idiots from the forums by getting them to go off the edge and expose them selves for the fuckin morons they are.

Who are you to attempt to moderate me anyway? There is an entire team who isn't you that takes care of that. So kindly piss off.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-04-12, 06:16

I made a build with one of the possible fixes for Private Mode windows missing titlebar text. I also re-enabled personas...

There are a few possible fixes that are being discussed that will affect private mode windows and personas. If you use either of these try out this build and let me know if there are any obvious problems with the titlebar text.

Download

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-12, 09:14

Off-topic:
A note to everyone: Please, No back-seat moderating in a public post. This was already resolved and if you do so, YOU are now ALSO detracting from the topic posted in.
If you think it's necessary that something is done, then either PM a moderator or report the post, DON'T make a public reply.

@RC:
This wasn't a constructive comment and wasn't a constructive comment for the topic at hand either.
You are also trying to fuel a flame war.
You've been appropriately issued a warning, too.

You are breaking with your own accusations.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Kasane

Unread post by Kasane » 2020-04-12, 18:30

Thanks for the builds. Unfortunately, the bug with title bars in Private mode is still present in both builds. The attached image is of dbsoft's build using a completely new profile after performing a complete uninstall of previous versions using AppCleaner. SpockFan02's build presented the same problem.
I also noticed a really strange behavior while using personas/light themes. When a persona is enabled, the title bar buttons disappear even in non-private maximized windows, and on top of that the theme isn't correctly displayed on private windows.
The weirdest part, however, is what happens when you disable the theme. The regular title bar reappears and the "private window" icon is moved to a separate bar.
Truly strange behaviors that I didn't notice until now.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-04-12, 23:09

Kasane wrote:
2020-04-12, 18:30
Thanks for the builds. Unfortunately, the bug with title bars in Private mode is still present in both builds. The attached image is of dbsoft's build using a completely new profile after performing a complete uninstall of previous versions using AppCleaner. SpockFan02's build presented the same problem.
I have never seen the issue with the buttons disappearing in my testing, but I believe that will be fixed in the 29 release in a default theme fix that did not make it into these 28 releases. The fix I am asking about is specifically about the missing titlebar text, so the only thing I am asking about is if the text is missing for anyone or looking strange, nothing else regarding the theme. Sorry I guess I should have been more clear in my call for testing.

Additionally I did notice the other issue you mentioned when coming out of a persona, I haven't figured that one out yet but I am working on it and it should be fixed for 29.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2020-04-13, 11:00

Personas don't show up properly in private windows because both the persona background and the private browsing indicator are done by changing the background image, so the persona background gets squished into the private browsing icon's space. This is why in older versions of Firefox personas wouldn't apply to private windows. The fix is to make the indicator its own XUL element.

In re private window title, it's fixed for me in your build, dbsoft.
Screenshot 2020-04-13 03.54.36.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-04-13, 16:06

This might belong in a different thread since it isn't 28.9.1, but here is a build of 29 with the theme fixes, and the titlebar fix Tobin suggested.

Basically this version gets rid of the private mode indicator in the title bar entirely and uses completely native titlebars for all windows, instead of the weird hybrid of having native titlebars for normal browser windows and fully themed for private windows.

Pros: It eliminates most of the possible issues with drawing into the frame/titlebar.
Cons: Themes, Personas, Private Mode missing titlebar customizations.

Download

I believe this version fixes all of the issues Kasane noted in their post.

The other possible solution is fully themed titlebars in all browser modes, but I'll need to fix that issue with personas before I can give a test version of that.

dubGUN
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by dubGUN » 2020-04-17, 02:15

28.9.1 doesn't load sites with self-signed ssl certificates. it doesn't show any message either. works fine with 28.9.0.2 but 28.9.1 seems to ignore previous settings in that regard.

jsanches

Unread post by jsanches » 2020-04-19, 13:47

Thanks for keeping the browser compatible with mac lion 10.7.5, thanks to it I can still keep my old black macbook in use in 2020.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-04-20, 20:07

dubGUN wrote:
2020-04-17, 02:15
28.9.1 doesn't load sites with self-signed ssl certificates. it doesn't show any message either. works fine with 28.9.0.2 but 28.9.1 seems to ignore previous settings in that regard.
Do you have an example of a site with a self-signed certificate?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-20, 21:19

dbsoft wrote:
2020-04-20, 20:07
dubGUN wrote:
2020-04-17, 02:15
Do you have an example of a site with a self-signed certificate?
https://self-signed.badssl.com/

dubGUN
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by dubGUN » 2020-04-20, 23:33

thanks for the link and in fact, as this link showed, 28.9.0.2 doesn't seem to handle that correctly anymore already. correctly in this case means showing the info page and offering options for an exception, cert details and such. instead a small window swoops in from the top and tells that there's an error because of the self signed cert. and that's it. nothing else, no options or anything.
it seems the working sites only work because i created an exception for them with an older palemoon version.

is this a bug or "by design"?