launch from term/shell, profile and a menu

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

launch from term/shell, profile and a menu

Unread post by dapgo » 2020-02-06, 17:35

If you are want to share a palemoon/newmoon/otherfork profile between your PM versions, or different computers, the default install in users folders can be pain.

typing from the shell is an effective solution, following line works:
./New\ Moon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon --no-remote --profile ./Profiles/Default

But if you are used to test different versions maybe you prefer to ease your life with a small menu, where you can add several versions and their paths.
Menu_OSX_PM.png
The menu is quite basic and fewer options than the batch version but the idea is to align both scripts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: launch from term/shell, profile and a menu

Unread post by therube » 2020-02-06, 21:27

(Did you mean to post the shell script?)

Was it your intention to use the same Profile folder for both 28.7 & 28.8 (if that is what it is doing & not bringing up a sub-menu to select a particular Profile)?

(Heh. Glad you called it Quantum. Because it is Quantum [& not really "FF"].)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-07, 01:08

Profiles are not backwards compatible nor are they safe to run with anything but the Official Build and those builds recognized as being permitted to use the Official branding. Likewise, cross-OS usage is also corrupting.

If you do this, your profile will be effectively corrupt and no one authoritative will EVER answer a question from you again and you will be on your own until such time you can demonstrate you have abandoned such support voiding nonsense.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2020-02-07, 14:54

Shell script is at the github location showed on screenshot or here

Yes, when I want to try a new version the I load the previous version profile(28.7)on newer browser(28.8)
I think I've improved a little bit the texts in the Menu but I haven't tested on Linux yet
Menu_OSX_NM_Srpt.png
therube wrote:
2020-02-06, 21:27
(Did you mean to post the shell script?)

Was it your intention to use the same Profile folder for both 28.7 & 28.8 (if that is what it is doing & not bringing up a sub-menu to select a particular Profile)?

(Heh. Glad you called it Quantum. Because it is Quantum [& not really "FF"].)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2020-02-07, 15:07

In my opinion people using non official builds, are not mainstream users but powerusers that enjoy testing, solving problems,etc
Otherwise they will use only Safari or Chrome.

I understand that using unofficial builds or loading a profile with a different version will be out of official support.
But users must consider the risk/benefit ratio and take their own decisions.
For me being multiplatform is a must because I really need it. So, with unofficial builds and profiles I managed to have what I need without leaving a platform (FF compatibility+XUL)

quote="New Tobin Paradigm" post_id=183451 time=1581037730 user_id=1861]
Profiles are not backwards compatible nor are they safe to run with anything but the Official Build and those builds recognized as being permitted to use the Official branding. Likewise, cross-OS usage is also corrupting.

If you do this, your profile will be effectively corrupt and no one authoritative will EVER answer a question from you again and you will be on your own until such time you can demonstrate you have abandoned such support voiding nonsense.
[/quote]

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-07, 16:07

The problem is that by making this an easy self configuring menu, you are reducing the threshold for regular user to do something that will corrupt their profile.
It's not clear to me what this menu does -- does it keep strict separation of profiles or not? does it merely copy and overwrite? does it have safeguards for downgrading versions? etc. etc. etc. -- if you want to make this menu an easy launcher then you should take every possible scenario into account.

Also, I've said this many times before: while many users active on this forum ARE power users, most of the Pale Moon users are not! They are average users who are using alternative browsers because they have the opportunity to do so. Many are even using Pale Moon because they want to be using something similar to 10 years ago and have some measure of resistance to change, which is also a trait you see more often with people with less technical skills. Not to forget the average user who loved their extensions and saw all of that stripped away by Mozilla.

So please, if you make this menu, make it usable for everyone with minimal risk to people's data.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite