Unofficial builds vs official builds

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
Lotusisrael
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unofficial builds vs official builds

Unread post by Lotusisrael » 2019-10-06, 11:39

I know we have no official build for macOS yet and that members of this community are compiling builds for those interested. But I wonder, when the official Pale Moon for macOS will be available, the presence of one of those builds shall not affect it? Like most apps, Pale Moon leaves its imprint on Preferences, caches, scripts etc and those might affect a future, official release, I think, if they were present in the past on that installation of macOS.
Last edited by Lotusisrael on 2019-10-06, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Unofficial builds vs official builds

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-06, 13:32

Once we get a stable and reliable Macintosh developer/builder who doesn't gradually disappear then flake out when called out on them not living up to their obligations at least eventually or I get MacOS X working in KVM. Also, when certain blocking technical issues are worked out or worked around.

Simple as that.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-06, 21:05

I believe the question is more about whether and how using unofficial builds will affect setup/configuration of a future official release. The answer is, all of your preferences and everything are stored in your profile, and an official build will look in the same place as unofficial builds do (~/Library/Application Support/Pale Moon/Profiles/), so preferences, history, etc. that you change or accumulate while using an unofficial build will be picked up by an official version of Pale Moon unless you start using a different profile.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-07, 01:32

And even if that wasn't the case.. You can just move it and point the profile manager or edit the ini file for the correct appdata.

Lotusisrael
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Lotusisrael » 2019-10-13, 21:46

Off-topic:
On my Hackintosh (as you may know, the software configuration on a Hackintosh can be really vulnerable) but, as long as it is legal where I live I want to use this OS for certain software), I have a nasty issue on Safari, since I have upgraded to Catalina: after a few clips, Youtube gets stuck and I need to empty the cache to be able to use it. I do not want to use Chrome or the mainstream Firefox, so Pale Moon remains the best hope so far. I wonder if Youtube shall behave the same, I hope not.
Last edited by Admin on 2019-10-14, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please stay on-topic.

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2019-10-26, 04:37

I think we should split up the duties, if you ask me. You have at least two people around that can generate builds. I thought the project needed a coder/debugger sort, which I don't have the time to do.