Pale Moon 28.7.1

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Pale Moon 28.7.1

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-13, 17:51

pteros wrote:
2019-10-13, 11:00
Thanks for the build!

Seems to work flawlessly here (High sierra).
You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear it!
Off-topic:
HarmonicResonance wrote:
2019-10-13, 15:44
... Basically what this means is that there will be less people in the future, and specifically, less people from the US, Europe, Australia, and Japan.
There will be more people in the immediate future and probably for a good while still, but a larger portion will be Nigerian, (Asian) Indian, and so on. This is also ignoring immigration: There will continue to be more people from the U.S., Europe, and Australia (not sure about Japan) despite low birth rates because people are moving there from elsewhere. Unfortunately, the population continuing to increase will not help the climate situation, as I suppose Tobin alluded to.

chuckallisonusa

Unread post by chuckallisonusa » 2019-10-22, 11:54

New to the forum and Happy to have found the latest work on the Palemoon for mac. This is a great little browser for those of us who prefer to keep what works best for our old machines. I have had up to El-Capitan installed on this old MacBook 4,1 but still keep going back to the less restrictive 10.7.5.. I know Lion was not the best for this machine but it still allows me to use facetime and access my photos on my IOS13 Iphone... so that is my story.. Thanks so much for the latest version.. It works well and I am happy to have it. Only issue I have found is High CPU usage when accessing sites like Ebay when all of the scrolling ads are going. It tops out at 107% CPU and starts to crawl.. trying to figure out how to fix but so far to no avail... Not a reason not to use the browser for daily driving just need to be aware of things like that. Also if there are people experiencing High CPU on Video play back from Youtube the classic add-on from Classic addons website H264ify helps alot to clear out the Video overload. Thanks again,

Chuck Allison
:mrgreen:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-22, 13:25

when all of the scrolling ads are going.
How on earth are you not using an adblocker? :shock:
Given the amount of crap in the form of videos and blinking crap, adblocking has been mandatory for an improved web experience for more than a decade and that's before all the privacy concerns.
Given you're using old hardware, your computer will also thank you for not having to download additional tons of javascript and images/video. ABPrime is a good place to start.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-22, 15:24

Mimumum MacOS should be 10.8 isn't it? Also it is not a goal or in scope to support ancient hardware or operating systems.

If you can't handle that reality I suggest you look elsewhere.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-22, 15:54

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-10-22, 15:24
Mimumum MacOS should be 10.8 isn't it?
No, we're still building for 10.7. The current Firefox only supports 10.9+, though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-22, 16:01

IIRC we set 10.8 as a minimum and have actually removed some < 10.8 workarounds in code, so it may not be a good idea to keep 10.7 runnability for the Mac builds. It's likely going to be unstable or risky.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-22, 16:17

I guess that's changed since last year, then? wicknix was building for 10.7 and I re-added the -moz-mac-lion-theme CSS media query and reinstated its use in browser.css with your OK.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-22, 16:44

I don't remember.. I had already went out of my god damned mind by then. But I distinctly remember going with 10.8 after I returned to reality after Phoebus 2.0 landed.

chuckallisonusa

Unread post by chuckallisonusa » 2019-10-22, 16:48

I do now have ad blocker and a nice little app called app police which allows me to set a cpu limit. Much better performance. Also got netflix working with the basilisk-browser for mac os x 10.7. That was and is a very nice addition to my old mac. The ad blocker works well to limit the issue on Ebay as well as many other sites, but I always get the pop up about this is how we make our money now when going to sites like space.com or others. All in all both browsers are performing very very well on my venerable old MacBook. Thanks again...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-22, 16:50

https://freenode.logbot.info/palemoon/20180802 wrote: 06:02 MoonchildPM I forget. either 10.7 or 10.8
06:02 NewTobinParadigm 10.7 or higher
06:02 NewTobinParadigm yes
Well shit. You're right! SpockFan02 is the master of mac!

I did say I was quite insane at the time.. So either disregard what I said or alter it to match reality. idc which :P

chuckallisonusa

Unread post by chuckallisonusa » 2019-10-22, 16:54

As far as moving the 10.7.5 run ability I guess this was the last hope.. I have very much brutalized this browser with running it is 10.7.5 using it for lots of things and it is very stable on this machine. Alas I guess all good things must come to and end sometime. Too bad I just found the build. I will still keep contributing though... Thanks for what I have right now.. It will keep me going a little longer at least.

Thanks Spockfan for the latest build...

Chuck Allison

chuckallisonusa

Unread post by chuckallisonusa » 2019-10-22, 16:56

Yay!! I am glad to hear SpockFan02 was right!!! Thanks!!!

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-25, 23:21

Hi Lotusisrael! First of all, Basilisk is not Pale Moon. They are separate applications which build on the same platform (UXP), much like Firefox and Thunderbird are different applications which both build on the Mozilla platform, or how WebKit or the Chromium Embedded Framework are used by many other applications. However, this thread on the Basilisk board does have Basilisk builds for macOS, including the most recent release, which I uploaded a few days ago. I hope it suits your needs! :)

Edit: Someone removed something :D