Prime Video - Unsupported browser error

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
WorldWayne

Prime Video - Unsupported browser error

Unread post by WorldWayne » 2019-08-24, 23:25

Hi folks,

New user here and really love this browser. First of all I'd like to say a huge thank you to the team that's working on this and making this version for us Mac users. I discovered this app when looking to help out a friend that is using OS X Lion on a late-2006 white Macbook. Obviously due to the age of the computer and OS, YouTube and other websites don't work anymore so luckily I found this solution. Everything works beautifully and the browser is very fast. The only issue is that (Amazon) Prim Video does not work when attempting to play the videos. It throws up an unsupported browser error. I've looked through the forum and have seen only threads for other systems but not for Mac. I've also tried it on my own computer but the error is the same for me. On Safari and my other browsers, Prime works fine. I've attached a screenshot of my specs, OS and browser version.

Any suggestions, workarounds or ideas on how I could get this pesky site to work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Prime Video - Unsupported browser error

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-08-25, 00:41

You should try this:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17887

It fools sites into thinking you are on a different browser. No guarantee of success, but it did work for me in case of a few sites (so it does work, just not all the time).

WorldWayne

Unread post by WorldWayne » 2019-08-26, 00:39

Thank you for your reply and pointing me in the direction of that thread. I've been trying several options, including the original code without any success unfortunately. I tried even changing the OS X version, the Firefox version, but oddly enough anything up to version 59 gives it an error saying to get the latest version of Firefox. The moment you put 60 and up, it says the browser is not compatible with the site and to get one of the listed browsers (including Firefox). I'll keep playing around but no luck so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2019-08-26, 02:43

Pale Moon doesn't support DRM. If Prime Video requires it (i don't know if it does or not), that would be the reason it doesn't work. You could try the unofficial build of Basilisk ( http://basilisk-browser.org/ ) for Mac here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18055#p167895 as it does support DRM.

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-26, 09:05

DRM in Basilisk is non-functional at the moment. You'd know that if you were actually around.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-26, 12:49

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-08-26, 09:05
DRM in Basilisk is non-functional at the moment. You'd know that if you were actually around.
Do you mean the Mac version, because it works fine for me on Linux.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-26, 13:45

I am across the board. EME licenses have been revoked for the currently supported version of Widevine.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-26, 14:43

This thread (concerning Windows) suggests Amazon Prime will work with Silverlight + plus a UA override.

Don't know about Silverlight's availability for current Mac, but maybe this Apple discussion will be helpful.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-08-26, 17:42

There is a Silverlight for Mac OS X. Don't know if it will work on your Mac.
https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Sil ... 27523.html

Silverlight EOL:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... of-support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-27, 07:26

billmcct wrote:
2019-08-26, 17:42
Silverlight EOL:
Still more than 2 years away. I wouldn't worry about that just yet.
Also, even after EoL, silverlight licenses are perpetual, they will just stop officially supporting it with updates (not that I've seen any recent updates to Silverlight at all, for that matter; it's mature and safe). Just make sure you save the installer before EoL because they will pull it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-27, 08:38

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-27, 07:26
Just make sure you save the installer before EoL because they will pull it.
Off-topic:
I still have the installer for the last stable version of Winamp from 2013, and a bunch of other closed source tools from long extinct companies. Just realized you cannot do that with Android at all, thanks to everything being linked to their app store - apps that you paid for can vanish overnight, or end up losing features after an update. Saving the APK is only possible if you've rooted your phone.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-27, 11:24

Off-topic:
That isn't even true. I have saved apk packages for years and have a couple that don't even exist anymore. Problem is my current magic slab of glass opted not to include the 32bit instruction set only the 64bit so it can't run em. Though my dead magic slab of glass ran em fine but they came from an even older magic slab of glass.

Fuck it, gonna get a 75 dollar outright flip phone.. I am so over magic slabs of glass. This can be a wifi only abomination of backwards technology that has irradiated the sole of mankind.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-08-27, 11:39

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-08-27, 11:24
Off-topic:
Fuck it, gonna get a 75 dollar outright flip phone.. I am so over magic slabs of glass. This can be a wifi only abomination of backwards technology that has irradiated the sole of mankind.
Off-topic:
Copy that. Using a $20 4G LTE flip and have no use for "magic slabs of glass".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

WorldWayne

Unread post by WorldWayne » 2019-09-05, 18:32

Thank you all for the replies. I apologize for only replying back now. I am now on the latest update of the browser (28.7.0) and attempted to see if this new version worked. I am not getting this error instead. I have installed the Silverlight plugin but I'm pretty much stuck it looks like. I'll try playing around between changing the compatibility UA mode in the browser preferences and the about config page.