PM Gets Stuck After Certain Sites

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
gorhill

Re: PM Gets Stuck After Certain Sites

Unread post by gorhill » 2019-08-21, 20:00

Kathuluforz wrote:
2019-08-21, 19:13
that page looks exactly like Moonchilds pic; No probs whatsoever :D
As I stated, the filter causing the high number of count in in EasyPrivacy. Here is what I can get after enabling EasyPrivacy:
a.png
You get higher and higher block count the higher the page value in the URL, for instance the screenshot above was with a URL where the page parameter was 43: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newso ... se?page=43
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BopBe
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by BopBe » 2019-08-21, 20:12

Almost sure uBlock can load AdGuard specifc filter lists.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-21, 21:06

gorhill wrote:
2019-08-21, 20:00
the filter causing the high number of count in in EasyPrivacy. Here is what I can get after enabling EasyPrivacy:
I've investigated a bit further and this is actually quite a disturbing thing. CSP report URIs are being used and it actually does cause ~300 POST requests to the report-uri servers just opening that one page. Mostly because the website is poorly designed and has a ton of CSP violations. Whether this is a "privacy issue" or not is a point of debate, since it's clearly the webmaster's choice to use report-uri.com's service (by choice!) for monitoring the website and gathering information about scripting/resource loading problems, but yeah, I stand corrected: high counts are indeed correct there with the "EasyPrivacy" filter subscription enabled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-22, 00:47

Off-topic:
I still stand by my statement, however. Big shocker there ;)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-22, 04:16

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-21, 19:55
well no heres another with the updated adblocklatitude, but inside the site there are none, but theres this disturbing message
To remove the anti-adblock message on obits.reviewjournal.com, add the following rule to your custom filters in ABL:

Code: Select all

||googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?$third-party
To add it:
Open Filter preferences (click the toolbar button, or Ctrl+Shift+E) -> Custom filters tab -> click the "Add filter" button and paste the rule in the box that appears. Refresh the page to see the result.

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-22, 05:30

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-22, 04:16
cpreiss wrote:
well no heres another with the updated adblocklatitude, but inside the site there are none, but theres this disturbing message
To remove the anti-adblock message on obits.reviewjournal.com, add the following rule to your custom filters in ABL:

To add it:
Open Filter preferences (click the toolbar button, or Ctrl+Shift+E) -> Custom filters tab -> click the "Add filter" button and paste the rule in the box that appears. Refresh the page to see the result.
thanks that was biggest help

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-22, 05:34

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-22, 05:30
coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-22, 04:16
cpreiss wrote:

To add it:
thanks that was biggest help
it worked on the first site i went to but still showed up on another

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-27, 11:58

this line

To remove the anti-adblock message

does nothing

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 6.56.09 AM.png

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-27, 12:27

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-27, 11:58
does nothing
On what site?
That rule still works for me on https://obits.reviewjournal.com/obituaries/lvrj/.

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-22, 05:34
it worked on the first site i went to but still showed up on another
There is no global rule for anti-adblock messages that works on all sites.
Each site/situation requires its own solution.

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-27, 14:52

it appears on every

https://www.legacy.com

site. it does happen at random, sometimes it doesnt show up but does more often

the code doesnt work for that link for me

https://obits.reviewjournal.com/obituaries/lvrj

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-27, 17:33

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-27, 14:52
it appears on every

https://www.legacy.com

site. [...] at random, [...]
Just because a rule works for one site that draws content from legacy.com (which it does for me) doesn't mean it can be expected or assumed to work for others.

obits.reviewjournal.com & legacy.com
I get no anti-adblock message on obits.reviewjournal.com or legacy.com (using your posted links).
That's with only EasyList plus the one custom rule enabled.

For either site: If I open Blockable Items, filter on "googletagmanager" to see just that rule, disable it via the context menu and refresh the page, the anti-adblock message appears. And if I reenable the rule and refresh the page again, the message instantly disappears. For me it's reproducible. Don't know why it works differently for you.

The script that causes the anti-adblock message on both sites seems to be this one:

https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id=GTM-TDQHZW
Stab in the dark... maybe it would help you to try either a broader version of the rule, or a narrower one.

Broader:

||googletagmanager.com^$third-party
Narrower:

||googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id=GTM-TDQHZW

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-28, 04:31

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-27, 12:27
There is no global rule for anti-adblock messages that works on all sites.
Each site/situation requires its own solution.
There's a filter list for that though ;)
Add a subscription to Reek's Anti Adblock Killer. It works with all the popular adblockers - ABP/ABL, uBO, uMatrix and is pretty exhaustive.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-28, 09:11

moonbat wrote:
2019-08-28, 04:31
There's a filter list for that though
Off-topic:
That used to be a good solution, but it's no longer maintained.

Reek abandoned AAK and it hasn't been updated for several years. I wouldn't recommend anyone to use it today.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-08-28, 12:10

Off-topic:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-08-21, 15:12
Off-topic:
uBlock is fake news
Unless you corroborate your statement with some actual literature and technical details then your statement is just empty and then sinks into a meaningless opinion with no substance.Everyone on earth has an opinion but opinions by their very nature are worthless and change nothing.

Have a good day.!!
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-28, 12:33

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-28, 09:11
Off-topic:
That used to be a good solution, but it's no longer maintained.

Reek abandoned AAK and it hasn't been updated for several years. I wouldn't recommend anyone to use it today.
Off-topic:
Better than nothing, and it still works for several sites, maybe not for newer ones. In general I go into uBO and block scripts from any tracking/analytics domains I can find, for some ultra pesky sites just disabling 3rd party scripts altogether works.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-30, 08:07

cpreiss wrote:
The script that causes the anti-adblock message on both sites seems to be this one:

https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id=GTM-TDQHZW
Stab in the dark... maybe it would help you to try either a broader version of the rule, or a narrower one.

Broader:

||googletagmanager.com^$third-party
Narrower:

||googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id=GTM-TDQHZW
i tried the broader one first, put it on there days ago the message still appears

just now i tried the narrower one and i still get the message

a note here. last time i tried what you guys said i went thru a whole list of legacy sites and i didnt get the message on any. but i was pretty sure if i went back later they would appear again as they did. same with the last narrower code i just used. on amy site all of the time.

6 or 7 sites the message wasnt there with the new one now, but all of a sudden on one it did. i still think later if i go to any of those pages itll show up on many of them and once in awhile itwont on one

i think you guys mite be getting the same thing, you went straight to the page and it wasnt there just as it wasnt for me. one time and i would think it would act the same for you(as mine) on your pale moon if you visited different pages during the day. not insulting anyones intelligence but thats the way it acts. im using a mac were in a the mac forum

i got the one message with the new code, ive taken some time and it hasnt showed up yet, but just like last one, thruout the day i think its going to reappear

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 2.40.41 AM.png

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-30, 08:10

and these show up for me now again i think adguard just took them out i got rid of it

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 3.04.02 AM.png

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-30, 08:51

40 minutes later they start showing up again. maybe some timing thing

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 3.48.47 AM.png

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-30, 10:48

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-30, 08:07
cpreiss wrote:
The script that causes the anti-adblock message [...]
This quote that you attributed to yourself was actually written by me. ;)

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-30, 08:51
40 minutes later they start showing up again. maybe some timing thing
I didn't spend the amount of time on these sites that you have (maybe 10 minutes tops), so yes maybe that's why I don't see what you do. Some other script might kick in after x amount of time.

The sites may be monitoring the time through cookies or other storage. So perhaps if you clear cookies for legacy.com and related sites, and then block those sites from setting cookies it will help.

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-30, 11:12

i removed cookies, could someone help me with how to block those sites from setting cookies