PM Gets Stuck After Certain Sites

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
cpreiss

PM Gets Stuck After Certain Sites

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-19, 13:57

after i downloaded 28.6.0.1 after i go on gmail, some other sites, ny times, paypal, palemoon just sits there with the tab i just turned off, or for awhile before another site im going to. the color wheel spins, like 20 to 40 seconds

mac mojave 10.14.6 i use

cpreiss

Re: PM Gets Stuck After Certain Sites

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-19, 14:24

i think it was adguard it hasnt been doing it

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-19, 14:53

it is adguard but i need to use it still. is there a solution. only adguard does what i need it to

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-19, 15:32

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-19, 14:53
only adguard does what i need it to
I doubt that, but unless you provide information on exactly what you use it for, people won't be able to offer alternatives.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2019-08-19, 16:04

I was thinking the same. What does it offer that umatrix/nmatrix, ublockO, abprime, adblock latitude etc can't provide?

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-21, 13:06

it blocks ads on sites i use everyday that no other adblock does, ive tried them. i also have adblock plus on pale moon

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsobserver/browse

theres ads everywhere, up, down, on the side i need an adblock i dont have to block individual ads

adguard slows pale moon down with gmail, paypal, but its the best ive seen

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-21, 13:09

Blissfully ad-free with Adblock Latitude:
www_legacy_com_obituaries_newsobserver_browse.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-21, 13:59

Ditto with uBO. Btw, WTF is up with this site, uBO reports more than 1k ads blocked :shock:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-21, 14:07

moonbat wrote:
2019-08-21, 13:59
Btw, WTF is up with this site, uBO reports more than 1k ads blocked :shock:
uBO's "blocked" counter is totally unreliable. I've seen figures of like 2k just loading a Twitter page. While it's got stuff to block there, 2000 is... very very wrong XD

gorhill

Unread post by gorhill » 2019-08-21, 14:47

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-21, 14:07
uBO's "blocked" counter is totally unreliable. I've seen figures of like 2k just loading a Twitter page. While it's got stuff to block there, 2000 is... very very wrong XD
Please no misinformation, the counter is totally reliable.

No need to speculate, the logger can be used to find out what is blocked. On the page mentioned here, it shows lots of network requests blocked as a result of enforcing EasyPrivacy's

Code: Select all

||report-uri.com^$third-party

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-21, 14:52

gorhill wrote:
2019-08-21, 14:47

No need to speculate, the logger can be used to find out what is blocked. On the page mentioned here, it shows lots of network requests blocked as a result of enforcing EasyPrivacy's

Code: Select all

||report-uri.com^$third-party
Woah, didn't know you were active here.
Off-topic:
I've recently seen the Chrome version of uBO has a few additional reporting features that aren't to be seen in the legacy PM one..any chance they would be ported?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-21, 15:12

Off-topic:
uBlock is fake news

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-21, 16:18

gorhill wrote:
2019-08-21, 14:47
I beg to differ. You're not counting the number of items blocked if you're counting every connection (which CSP reporting does if they have a reporting URI in the headers). You're then just counting every element and every connection made for everything on the page (most of which is stuff that's allowed) -- probably multiple times, at that. You shouldn't be counting every connection individually unless you like meaninglessly inflated numbers that just reflect the total connections made loading the site, and NOT what was actually blocked.

gorhill

Unread post by gorhill » 2019-08-21, 18:08

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-21, 16:18
I beg to differ. You're not counting the number of items blocked if you're counting every connection
Where did I mention "items"? I said "network requests blocked" -- and uBO reflects accurately that count in the popup where it's clearly labelled "requests blocked", and the documentation referring to that count clearly says "shows the number of network requests uBlock blocked on the current page".

Feel free to try your own Adblock Latitude (where "items" is used) with EasyPrivacy, it's reporting hundreds of "items" blocked -- so your own criticism applies to your own work first.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-08-21, 18:29

cpreiss wrote:
2019-08-21, 13:06
it blocks ads on sites i use everyday that no other adblock does, ive tried them. i also have adblock plus on pale moon

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsobserver/browse

theres ads everywhere, up, down, on the side i need an adblock i dont have to block individual ads

adguard slows pale moon down with gmail, paypal, but its the best ive seen
I beg to differ.I find UBO blocks advertisements very effectively on quite a large amount of websites.Your link only shows 200 on the ubo counter so god knows how you attained 1k.?. :o
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2019-08-21, 19:13

My visit to that page looks exactly like Moonchilds pic; No probs whatsoever :D
Took a snap of UBO, ABL, and eMatrix blocking numbers:
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-08-21, 19:24

Kathuluforz wrote:
2019-08-21, 19:13
Off-topic:
It really isn't a good idea to run multiple adblockers like that, unless they are designed to be (as is the case with uBO/uMatrix). I recommend picking one or the other.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-21, 19:44

ive used adblock latitude for years in fact it was already on my pale moon. i must have thought it was adblock plus or something but i installed it from the PM site and disabled adguard and there are no ads. i dont know why i was getting ads i even had it on this browser

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2019-08-21, 19:54

Isengrim wrote:
2019-08-21, 19:24
Kathuluforz wrote:
2019-08-21, 19:13
Off-topic:
It really isn't a good idea to run multiple adblockers like that, unless they are designed to be (as is the case with uBO/uMatrix). I recommend picking one or the other.
Although I have had no obvious issues, I agree and have thought about this redundancy, but being a noob to PM I thought to wait until I actually broke it.
Can you give me any recommendations as to which to lose and which to keep? Advice much appreciated :)
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

cpreiss

Unread post by cpreiss » 2019-08-21, 19:55

well no heres another with the updated adblocklatitude, but inside the site there are none, but theres this disturbing message

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 2.51.46 PM.png

https://obits.reviewjournal.com/obituaries/lvrj