Search bar icon and boormarks toolbar more button stops working

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
BSzili

Search bar icon and boormarks toolbar more button stops working

Unread post by BSzili » 2019-04-21, 09:59

I noticed this issue a few versions in (it was likely introduced in 28.x), but I can no longer change the search engine in the search bar. It works for the first few tries, but after that the menu no longer appears and only the little triangle next to the icon gets highlighted. I have the same problem with the button at the end of the bookmarks toolbar, that brings up the bookmarks that don't fit. This is with the latest NewMoon 28.4.1 build running on macOS Mojave 10.14.3 and 10.14.4.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Search bar icon and boormarks toolbar more button stops working

Unread post by therube » 2019-04-23, 17:33

Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?

BSzili

Unread post by BSzili » 2019-05-02, 16:16

Restarting in Safe mode doesn't seem to affect it, the problem still persists. I don't have any extensions besides the language packs and the Java applet plugin.

BSzili

Unread post by BSzili » 2019-08-25, 14:52

I just noticed someone else reported the same issue a few months before me:
https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/issues/23
I wonder if this is specific to PM 28.x on Mojave. I'll try out a few older PM versions to see if I can find which was the last version without this problem.

BSzili

Unread post by BSzili » 2019-08-26, 07:11

To avoid changes to my profile I tried Arctic Fox as a substitute for PM 27.x, and bingo. It has the same problem on Mojave, except that instead of the popups not appearing after a few uses the browser crashes. Whatever caused the problem on Mojave for Pale Moon got backported to Arctic Fox as well. Is there an archive of old Arctic Fox builds? Maybe it would be easier to find which version started misbehaving on Mojave there. It's also possible that one of the system updates broke it.

edit: I attached my crash log from Arctic Fox 27.9.17 if it helps.
Attachments
arcticfox_2019-08-26-084022_Biros-Mac-mini.crash.zip
(22.77 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-26, 10:21

We don't have anything to do with Arctic Fox - first I heard of it today, in fact. We can't do anything with crash reports for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-26, 13:47

As if v27 based code is gonna work on The Modern Web(tm).

BSzili

Unread post by BSzili » 2019-08-31, 13:08

I didn't ask the maintainers of Pale Moon to do anything with Arctic Fox. This problem affects Pale Moon as well on macOS Mojave, only the symptom is different (crash vs popup UI elements not working), and it seriously affects the usability. I just thought it would be easier to catch it with Arctic Fox as it produces a crash that can be analyzed remotely, but it only created confusion :(

BSzili

Unread post by BSzili » 2019-08-31, 13:09

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-08-26, 13:47
As if v27 based code is gonna work on The Modern Web(tm).
I have no intention to use Arctic Fox to browse "The Modern Web(tm)".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-31, 16:01

Please understand that Pale Moon v27 (and anything based on it) is now a year past EoL and should not be used, let alone be expected to get support for. I'm sorry if that leaves you dead in the water.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2019-09-04, 01:52

@BSzili I too believe it's something to do with 10.14. No such reports from anyone using 10.13 and lower, and i haven't been able to reproduce it at all in the last 6 months on 10.11. However, i had a thought... does the unbranded mac build of Basilisk encounter the same problem?

Cheers
Off-topic:
As for AF and v27 code, it's had over 1500 commits since pm27's EOL and browses 97% of the modern web(tm) fine. It's meant for mac 10.6 snow leopard and aging powerpc hardware that no longer have supported browsers.
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-04, 09:25

Off-topic:
wicknix wrote:
2019-09-04, 01:52
As for AF and v27 code, it's had over 1500 commits since pm27's EOL and browses 97% of the modern web(tm) fine. It's meant for mac 10.6 snow leopard and aging powerpc hardware that no longer have supported browsers.
If it's actively developed as a fork like that, then support should be got from its developers, not us. Once again we have no affiliation with it, and posting on this forum for support with it has no use. It's not Pale Moon. From your description, it's a fork from a previous milestone of Pale Moon and we don't know anything about its current state, as should already be obvious by my being oblivious to its existence let alone current code state.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2019-09-04, 16:11

Off-topic:
I agree. Probably just some confusion as I'm linked to both projects.
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...