Palemoon/Tenfourfox?

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
Fenixthecorgi

Palemoon/Tenfourfox?

Unread post by Fenixthecorgi » 2019-01-23, 12:53

Please feel free to delete this if it goes against any rules, or if it belongs in another section. First off, I have to thank Moonchild for his continued work on Goanna. I've been faithful to the Mozilla browser since the Netscape days, and refused to use Internet Explorer throughout the 2000's, even when Netscape was the only release quality (ha!) browser that wasn't IE. We're entering a time period similar to the mid 2000's all over again, with Chromium spreading like a disease to every corner of the internet, bringing with it corporate nonsense in the guise of "open standards". I refuse to use such a trash engine attached to such a garbage browser, and prefer to use a browser that respects my personal freedom. While I do use mainline Firefox (actually nightly) on my main PC, the current Firefox does not meet my needs on my mobile devices as multi-threading doesn't really help much on dual core processors, but I digress, Goanna performs well even on this system. If I have less than six cores, it's Pale Moon for me. :D

Now, after that background has been discussed, I would like to know what the devs think about their relationship with a little browser called TenFourFox. It's a fork of the classic Firefox, designed to compile and run on PowerPC Macs. This is a really good thing because if you want a platform that doesn't stalk you and actually respects your privacy, these PowerPC Macs are ironically a great choice. There is no Intel ME, they use a firmware called Open Firmware which doesn't have backdoors and is still secure, there is no risk of Spectrum/Meltdown- the hardware designs were years ahead of the rebranded Foxconn hardware Apple sells now. My question is does the Pale Moon dev team pay attention to this project at all? I feel like their lead developer Cameron Kaiser could exchange information and bits of code with Moonchild and it would be beneficial to both projects.

Thanks for all of the work you guys have put into this browser, it's seriously saved my hide and has allowed me to keep using my trusty Latitude for a few more years! I promise that I'm not a luddite I just prefer to keep using things that work perfectly fine.

TL:DR- are you guys aware of this project/are the developers of that project aware of you? In the future will there be code shared?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon/Tenfourfox?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-23, 15:35

Fenixthecorgi wrote:are you guys aware of this project
Yes, but we aren't actively pursuing PPC Mac as a target platform ourselves.
Fenixthecorgi wrote:are the developers of that project aware of you
Unknown -- ask them?
Fenixthecorgi wrote:In the future will there be code shared?
Unlikely at this point. PPC Mac builds will likely only be a 3rd party contribution to Pale Moon, if ever.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-01-23, 15:45

This was already discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15602

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-23, 19:35

For your convenience, the main statement from that being:
10-4 fox can use us as upstream if they want. Like any other group that wants to build for specific, non-supported architectures and operating systems, they can use our platform to build from. I don't see any reciprocal value in a partnership here; they won't bring anything useful to the table, and integrating code for both a different processor and O.S. is going to be much more complex than maintaining a branch of our code with the necessary changes by themselves and using Pale Moon as upstream.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite