Completely black window after updating to Mojave

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Completely black window after updating to Mojave

Unread post by adesh » 2018-12-04, 15:45

I do my private builds on a Mac and everything was good when I was on High Sierra. Recently, I updated the system to latest Mojave and since then, entire Pale Moon window looks pitch-black (no, I'm not using dark mode) and is not usable at all. The only thing "visible" is the window title bar.
It is worth noting that browser is functional, as in pointer changes its shape when I move it over various parts of the window and searches are performed (evident from window title) when I type something and press Enter. So, it's definitely a Mac graphics quirk which is playing with Pale Moon (and Basilisk too).

Can someone please tell me how to fix this issue? I've already tried a clobbered build without success.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Completely black window after updating to Mojave

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-12-04, 18:11

Out of curiosity, can you try my build of pm or basilisk with a scratch profile? I've seen others use it on Mojave with no issue other than maybe the pm default theme being "brighter". If that displays properly, then it narrows it down to possible changes in the sdk or your build environment.

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-12-07, 12:39

Yes, your build works. Looks like a local issue on my setup. But then, I haven't done anything unusual, just that all my brew packages and system are up to date.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-12-07, 17:19

Gotcha. Sometimes being on the bleeding edge bites you in the butt. Staying with time tested versions is my motto. Hopefully you can locate resolve your issue. I personally never had luck with homebrew. Macports "just works". They are supported by apple after all. :)

Cheers

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-12-18, 04:52

wicknix wrote:Gotcha. Sometimes being on the bleeding edge bites you in the butt. Staying with time tested versions is my motto. Hopefully you can locate resolve your issue.
Do you actually build on Mojave? You said earlier that users run your builds on Mojave.

BTW, I accepted the latest update notification from Apple and wow, now my fresh build won't even start. After running via cmd, I found that it is segfaulting (on clean profile). Great!
I am going to try debug builds if that helps. Problem is, I've never debugged a software this big before. I am good at taking care of things at high level, not so much at C/C++ stuff.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-12-18, 06:17

No, i don't own any machines capable of running anything newer than 10.11. I have 2 machines set up for building. One dual boots 10.6 & 10.8, and one triple boots 10.6, 10.9 and 10.11. I build PM/Basilisk with either 10.8 w/10.7sdk or 10.9 w/10.8sdk as of late. My previous builds were built on 10.7 w/10.7sdk, but i wiped that machine and installed Ubuntu 18.04 on it. :thumbup:

Good luck debugging. I wouldn't even know where to begin in your situation. I have a feeling something got borked by the upgrade to mojave. To rule out 10.14's SDK, have you tried building with 10.12's SDK? If that still fails, then i'd look in to homebrew, and if that seems untouched, then i'd say mojave has a bug somewhere.

Cheers

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-12-20, 11:24

Thanks for that excellent suggestion!
I managed to get the build right using 10.12 sdk (10.13 also did not work due to some include error). So yes, it looks like something is borked in Mojave.
Last edited by adesh on 2018-12-20, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-12-20, 18:28

No prob. Glad you now have a partial, but working solution.

Cheers