What could be causing recurring lag?

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: What could be causing recurring lag?

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-01-13, 13:33

For over 24 hours in total, ran 2 sessions without NoScript (just uBlock Origin and its updater). While without NoScript NewMoon consumes a little less RAM (at first), the lag eventually returns. I can now confirm it is NOT NoScript.

Is it my hardware, or does the browser accumulate some junk data? Maybe it's a memory leak?

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: What could be causing recurring lag?

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-02-18, 05:20

Okay, the mystery is now at least partially solved. Waterfox has similar problems, and other users bring it up on the official support Reddit. The biggest, and longest lags (with the biggest CPU spikes, above... or WAY above 100%) are caused by bad/poorly coded websites that have CPU heavy scripts running, even of you do nothing. Those scripts may or may not be someone mining crypto on your machine. People who do not have the largest slowdown issues are, and this is my educated guess, on machines that have more than 8 gigs of RAM, and a modern CPU (mine is from 2012).

The small recurring 1-3 second lags are still a mystery however, and Waterfox has them ALSO now. All I can say is that it must be browser related, since I never have problems with Discord or Skype or the Apple Store (all those things do essentially what a browser does).

P.S. All lags on Waterfox(Firefox), at least for now, are NOT accompanied by the dreaded rainbow wheel, so you would not know if it's on your end, or the website's. Palemoon still has the longest hangups however (when they do happen), despite them being rare (and up to a minute long).