Pale Moon 27.9.0 Mac

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.

Milobinder

Re: Pale Moon 27.9.0 Mac

Unread post by Milobinder » 2018-04-20, 19:37

Working just fine on Mid-2012 MacBook Pro 10.11.6. Seems even faster than before. Great work! Thanks, sugis.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-20, 20:38

Downloaded about an hour ago. I always liked Firefox, and thought it to be the superior browser. However, over the years I learned what "bloat" is, and discovered that the Mozilla team may not be completely perfect. Been using Waterfox for at least a year, now decided to finally give Palemoon a try, seeing it is FINALLY available for the Apple Computers™. Already it is using way less RAM (currently less than 1GB, but then again nothing memory intensive is open, only 4 tabs and 1 ad blocker). For the first time in a while, my mid 2012 MacBook is not hot when the browser is open. I say great work.

I have some add-on questions however. Should I make a separate thread?
Last edited by KlarkKentThe3rd on 2018-04-21, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-21, 05:29

Well, might as well report 3 bugs.

— The text inside the browser window (every website I visit) is a wee bit too small, as is the text in the bookmark toolbar.
— I cannot drag the Palemoon window at all. I can make it bigger or smaller from all sides, but never drag.
— I downloaded 2 add-ons, uBlock and NoScript. After the restart, I can only see NoScript, with the other one nowhere to be found. It's still working, but Palemoon is not showing it to me.

EDIT: I fixed bug #3 by customizing the layout. Unfortunately, it only fixed one of the 2 windows. Had to restart to make changes apply to any/every window.
Last edited by KlarkKentThe3rd on 2018-04-21, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

snowmoon

Unread post by snowmoon » 2018-04-21, 07:32

@sugis
as good as always here on 10.6, thanks a lot!
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:I have some add-on questions however. Should I make a separate thread?
Always an interesting read regarding add-ons: https://addons.palemoon.org/incompatible/, it might answer questions or give hints.
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:I cannot drag the Palemoon window at all
Can it be, you are browsing in a "New Private Window"? It has been a known bug on OS X, that Private Windows show no controls and are kind of stuck, undraggable…
Last edited by snowmoon on 2018-04-21, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-21, 07:46

Nah, regular windows are un-draggable. Nothing can be dragged.

Also, I simply wanted to know if Firefox's official NoScript (latest and greatest) would work in this early Palemoon for OSX. I got this one: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/noscript/ and it seems to be a year old.

snowmoon

Unread post by snowmoon » 2018-04-21, 08:35

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:Nah, regular windows are un-draggable. Nothing can be dragged.
Ok, can you tell us, which OS X version you are using? Though I can't help much for testing this behavior, my OS X is very old, others should chime in…
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:Also, I simply wanted to know if Firefox's official NoScript (latest and greatest) would work in this early Palemoon for OSX.
Well, "latest and greatest" AMO add-ons will intentionally not work in Pale Moon. And this is where Pale Moon differentiates from Firefox of late, since Mozilla decided to ditch the classic XUL extensions framework. A lot of crucial classic add-ons will not be translated to Mozillas new WebExtensions framework. A growing number of these are forked for Pale Moon to have a future here.

Of course, a necessary workaround for some unforked add-ons is, to use a slightly older version.
Last edited by snowmoon on 2018-04-21, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-21, 08:40

I say just have NoScript, uBlock, a working video/audio/flash downloader, and a couple of alternatives for the first 2 (privacy and security are pretty important).

I use Sierra (the regular, not the high variety), 10.12.6

snowmoon

Unread post by snowmoon » 2018-04-21, 09:07

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:a couple of alternatives for the first 2 (privacy and security are pretty important).
If you already have uBlock Origin installed, it is not advisable to have other ad-blockers in parallel.

Hmm, that uBlock icon didn’t show up at first after your install, makes me wonder, if you looked at the install guide here https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/. BTW having "uBlock Origin Updater" is the only way to keep uBlock Origin up to date automatically.

verdant

Unread post by verdant » 2018-04-21, 12:20

27.9.0 working great on OS X 10.6.8 - many thanks again Sugis! :D

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-21, 17:08

snowmoon wrote: Hmm, that uBlock icon didn’t show up at first after your install, makes me wonder, if you looked at the install guide here https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/. BTW having "uBlock Origin Updater" is the only way to keep uBlock Origin up to date automatically.
I installed uBlock first, and NoScript second. The icon missing was definitely a bug, but again, customizing layout fixed it.

And can I manually update uBlock in the Add-On tab?

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-04-21, 17:59

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:Well, might as well report 3 bugs.

— The text inside the browser window (every website I visit) is a wee bit too small, as is the text in the bookmark toolbar.
— I cannot drag the Palemoon window at all. I can make it bigger or smaller from all sides, but never drag.
I changed the text everywhere in the interface by putting code in a userChrome.css file.

Code: Select all

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

/*Global UI font*/
 * {font-family: Trebuchet MS !important;
font-size: 15px !important;
}
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

In order to prevent text on web pages from being too small I set a minimum font size.

The Pale Moon window drags sometimes when I do not want that. If the cursor moves off the scrollbar the window will move.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-21, 21:43

How do I do that without breaking Palemoon or blowing up my laptop? (the UserChrome thing)
Last edited by KlarkKentThe3rd on 2018-04-21, 22:13, edited 2 times in total.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-23, 06:52

I guess I should be thankful that most of the functions work as intended.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-04-23, 08:50

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:Also, I simply wanted to know if Firefox's official NoScript (latest and greatest) would work in this early Palemoon for OSX. I got this one: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/noscript/ and it seems to be a year old.

The latest version of NoScript compatible with Pale Moon is 5.1.8.5.
It's on NoScript's website here, about halfway down the page. Look for NoScript "Classic" (5.1.8.5).
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:And can I manually update uBlock in the Add-On tab?

Only if the uBO Updater is installed.

The Add-ons Manager does not communicate with uBO's Github repository for updates unless the Updater is installed - it's the point of the extension.

The Updater is designed to provide automatic updates, but you can certainly search for them manually too.

And if what you want is to update manually exclusively...
I imagine you could do this by installing uBO Updater but keeping it disabled except for the times that you check for updates.

Without the Updater, the only way to update is by navigating to the releases section of uBO's Github repository and installing over the older version (clicking on the newer version's xpi: uBlock0.firefox.xpi)
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-04-23, 10:28, edited 4 times in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-04-23, 19:40

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:How do I do that without breaking Palemoon or blowing up my laptop? (the UserChrome thing)
Read the linked page to UserChrome.css on mozillazine. It explains how to set it up and what it does. You can simply use it to change the appearance of certain elements in the interface. If the changes are not what you expected, you edit the file and remove or change the codes. A convenient way to edit a userChrome.css file, a userContent.css file, and a user.js file is to use a chrome editor. I use ChromEdit Plus, which I got here:
http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-25, 04:26

Goodydino wrote: Read the linked page to UserChrome.css on mozillazine. It explains how to set it up and what it does. You can simply use it to change the appearance of certain elements in the interface. If the changes are not what you expected, you edit the file and remove or change the codes. A convenient way to edit a userChrome.css file, a userContent.css file, and a user.js file is to use a chrome editor. I use ChromEdit Plus, which I got here:
http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html
Well, I installed ChromeEdit Plus, and...... what now? Do I select it via Tools, or Tools >> ChromeEdit Plus >> Options ?

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-04-25, 19:09

ChromeEdit is in the tools menu, but there is also a toolbar button. I think you might have to drag it out of the customize window for the toolbars. It has been a while since I installed it.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2018-04-26, 02:49

Tools >> ChromeEdit Plus >> Option >> THIS

font-weight: normal;
font-size: 12px;
font-family: verdana;
color: #000000;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
background: #f5f5f5;

Is this it?

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-04-26, 21:22

Tools > ChromeEdit Plus > ChromeEdit will get the window where you access the files. There should also be a toolbar button that looks a bit like a can opener. It might be in the Customize window.