Pale Moon 27.9.0 *experimental sdk build*

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Pale Moon 27.9.0 *experimental sdk build*

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-04-19, 00:13

So i've been trying to delve in to some minor snow leopard UI glitches as of late. I started with an original 10.6 sdk until configure or build failed and manually started swapping in the missing frameworks (mostly CoreMedia stuff) from 10.8 sdk until there were no more errors. This build of Pale Moon is from that "custom" 10.6 sdk. It may or may not solve those minor glitches on snow leopard. If it does great. If not, oh well, it was fun tinkering with it. You mileage might vary with this build. If you want something that will probably be more stable wait for Sugis's build. If you're an eager beaver go ahead and give this a spin. Again this was just more of a "curiosity killed the cat" thing i had to try.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YjDOQt ... sp=sharing

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

snowmoon

Re: Pale Moon 27.9.0 *experimental sdk build*

Unread post by snowmoon » 2018-04-19, 12:14

Thanks for your braveness, wicknix! Alas, glitches in snowl’opard remain.

My unqualified guess: the relevant 10.8 sdk parts kind of overwrite the old style form element’s lib for 10.6.

Maybe it would be nice to have one final unofficial 27.9.x that is exclusively 10.6 built, meant as a farewell…

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-04-19, 15:02

snowmoon wrote: Maybe it would be nice to have one final unofficial 27.9.x that is exclusively 10.6 built, meant as a farewell…
That would be sweet, but i cant get PM to build on 10.6 or 10.7. Anything 10.8 and above it builds with no issues.

On the upside, i am able to build the new 28.x.x PM even though packaging is broken currently and it isn't ready for release yet. So that's good news for 10.7 and up mac users when the time comes. :)

Cheers

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-04-22, 01:34

@snowmoon could you try this build? I did a fresh lion install on a spare partition and was able to build PM with 10.7 finally. It's closer to 10.6 and might fix some issues? I don't know what sites you are testing these on under 10.6, so you are my test subject. Heh.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Dj6hd ... sp=sharing

Cheers

verdant

Unread post by verdant » 2018-04-22, 10:25

Hi there

I am trying your Lion Build on OS X 10.6.8 and will report any issues as I use it.....

snowmoon

Unread post by snowmoon » 2018-04-22, 12:08

wicknix wrote:@snowmoon could you try this build?
Oh, late to the party :mrgreen:
Sure I will test. And thanks @verdant for chiming in.

The first big success: the glitches with form elements, like radio buttons and checkboxes are gone away!! Yay!
Everything else looks normal so far, I just launched this build installed uBlock and logged in here.

I will test further this afternoon and do report. No special sites I usually visit, some blogs, streaming on youtube, soundcloud, bbc radio, having a number of tabs open, … any wishes?

Thank you so much for now wicknix!!

snowmoon

Unread post by snowmoon » 2018-04-22, 16:22

Ok wicknix, so far I’m really delighted with your build. Very stable, very snappy, though I can’t really compare using a fresh profile right now.

With the other builds I have had occasional crashes, not so here, as far as I tested. One safe bet on a crash was to choose items from contextual menue on youtube-videos (HTML5), this works flawless with your build.

One thing, that remains unsolved, the same as with sugis builds: the stuck Private Window without window controls.

And right after launch some curious lines in console:

Code: Select all

2018-04-22 13:46:39.888 palemoon[667:903] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1003c0b00 of class NSCFDictionary autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2018-04-22 13:46:39.891 palemoon[667:903] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1003c23a0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2018-04-22 13:46:44.448 palemoon[667:903] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
2018-04-22 13:46:44.449 palemoon[667:903] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
2018-04-22 13:46:44.450 palemoon[667:903] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
2018-04-22 13:46:44.451 palemoon[667:903] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
2018-04-22 13:46:44.451 palemoon[667:903] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary
And those obviously regarding the Private Window:

Code: Select all

WARNING: content window passed to PrivateBrowsingUtils.isWindowPrivate. Use isContentWindowPrivate instead (but only for frame scripts).
pbu_isWindowPrivate@resource://gre/modules/PrivateBrowsingUtils.jsm:25:14
@about:privatebrowsing:40:12
WARNING: content window passed to PrivateBrowsingUtils.isWindowPrivate. Use isContentWindowPrivate instead (but only for frame scripts).
pbu_isWindowPrivate@resource://gre/modules/PrivateBrowsingUtils.jsm:25:14
@about:privatebrowsing:67:14

verdant

Unread post by verdant » 2018-04-22, 18:39

Hi wicknix

So far I can confirm:

Issue with open and save radio buttons is now sorted

No issues with right-click menus in YouTube videos

It is fast and snappy too.

Many thanks wicknix

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-04-22, 20:03

Awesome. Glad to hear it. I'll release mine along side Sugis's builds then for snow leopard users. I did optimize this build and tuned it for core2. Glad to see that had some effect. You can see my build configuration by typing "about:buildconfig" in the url bar. As for the private window issue, i think the same happens on the linux builds. I've narrowed part of it down to the default theme. I run the XMoon theme, and the private window icon does indeed show up, but still no min/max/close buttons, but that theme you can move the private window around by grabbing just under the title bar.

Cheers

verdant

Unread post by verdant » 2018-04-22, 21:25

Many thanks wicknix! :clap:

Your altruistic efforts for OS X Snow Leopard users are very much appreciated, as OS X 10.6.8 continues to remain my main OS on my Core2 Quad CPU PCs, as it is so stable and fast and able to run my PPC software via Rosetta, while 'feeling' like a proper desktop OS rather than a mobile device OS running on a desktop.

As of now, the only up to date, secure browsers for OS X Snow Leopard that I am aware of are Pale Moon v27.9.0 and Roccat v8.0, but I prefer Pale Moon to Roccat (Webkit based).
Last edited by verdant on 2018-04-22, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-04-23, 02:15

Hey no problem. I run 10.6 on a slew of my machines also, as it was the last great release. Anything newer is so blah. Sadly we might get another year out of PM if we're lucky. You probably already heard that the upcoming PM 28.x.x releases wont be able to run on SL anymore. :(

As for Roccat, while it is "updated", under the hood it is not. Roccat uses the same version of webkit that safari uses. Which on SL is safari 5/6. For it to be up to date and secure you'd have to be on 10.11 or above. Just an FYI.

On a side note i may try taking on Leopard-Webkit (safari 11 for powerpc 10.5) as that breathes new life in to my older powermac g5 and mac mini g4. At one time they had someone building for snow leopard, but that guy disappeared back in 2015.

Cheers.

verdant

Unread post by verdant » 2018-04-23, 08:03

Thanks for the headsup on Roccat. I did not realize that the developers are not using builds of current WebKit frameworks 'under the hood'.

I am aware of Tobias Netzel's updated WebKit builds for PowerPC and OS X 10.5, so are you referring to his request for at least one volunteer to revive the Snow Leopard WebKit builds: https://sourceforge.net/projects/leopard-webkit/ ?
Last edited by verdant on 2018-04-23, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-23, 12:33

Another year? Lol, nonsense.. Personally, i'd like to try for end of summer release.. End of THIS year at the latest.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-04-24, 02:21

@verdant: Yeah possibly. My spring/summer/fall is going to be pretty busy as the wife and i planned a slew of to-do's and weekend get-a-ways, but come winter (i'm in Wisconsin, USA) we pretty much stay inside and i get lots of time in the man cave. I've looked at leopard-webkit's build environment instructions and at the moment don't want to kill off my PM/Basilisk build machines to do so. Once PM 27 stops receiving security updates i *might* take a stab at leopard-webkit.

Cheers