Pale Moon 27.8.3

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Pale Moon 27.8.3

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-03-29, 03:49

64 bit mac build can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x_2XTw ... sp=sharing

Built on a macbook running 10.8. Tested on 10.6/10.8/10.11.

Sorry Sugis, i'm just thrilled to have properly set up a build machine that's working with pale moon and couldn't resist. I'll leave the rest of the mac builds up to you, but if you ever get too busy feel free to contact me and i'll gladly build and upload new releases. :thumbup:

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Pale Moon 27.8.3

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-03-29, 12:14

You guys should coordinate your efforts, and talk with Moonchild about releasing official Mac builds.

snowmoon

Unread post by snowmoon » 2018-03-29, 12:22

Hi wicknix!

thanks for providing an alternative build, I gave it a spin with a scratch profile. It works really well, though, I’m testing on Snow Leopard. Some rare bugs that exist in sugis’ recent builds are still there in your build. But nevertheless, these builds are very stable and useable already.

:D

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-03-29, 23:17

Snowmoon, yeah i also still run 10.6.8 on a few machines, including my main machine. I prefer it actually. That's one of the reasons i set up my build machine with 10.8.5 as i knew if i built it on anything newer those builds wouldn't run on 10.6. The few bugs i've spotted are minor. Like the "save/download" dialog box is missing the check box button when you select it, but it still functions fine. All in all it's still the BEST and ONLY browser that's current and updated that can still be run on 10.6, and for that i'm thankful. :clap:

Tomaso, other than having a build machine, i have very limited knowledge of cocoa and c/c++. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for the macosx bugs. I have no objection with helping with mac builds however.

Cheers

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2018-03-30, 02:04

I also agree with coordinating efforts and releasing an official build for OS X. I can also build and troubleshoot. It'd be great to have a list of Mac-only bugs that we could start triaging. Thanks for the build, BTW, wickinix.

SnowLeopard4Life

Unread post by SnowLeopard4Life » 2018-03-31, 17:49

Thanks nice to have an up to date browser now I don’t need to put Linux on my MacBook I have tried countless ones with my MacBook 2009 and they all have issues.. Snow Leopard is what this laptop came with and it’s super fast being I have upgraded it with 6gb ddr2 ram and an SSD. The only con with this browser is it’s not super fast on Yahoo it takes a while to load and scrolling is not as fast as it could be. But a big fat thank you to the developers and maintainers. :D

jackoverfull

Unread post by jackoverfull » 2018-04-01, 09:37

Just chiming in, I've been using Pale Moon on a couple of my Snow Leopard installation for a while, great to see a browser still supported, even if not officially, great work!

verdant

Unread post by verdant » 2018-04-02, 20:43

I echo all the comments above regarding the use and speed of OX 10.6.8 and hence the important of having Pale Moon running on it as a secure modern browser. Well done to Sugis and wicknix, as all your work increases the chances of Pale Moon OS X becoming official for OS X 10.6.8 and later.....:clap: :clap:

SnowLeopardLover

Unread post by SnowLeopardLover » 2018-04-05, 17:29

I agree with all the above comments. I too would like to see an official Pale Moon compatible with Snow Leopard.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2018-04-05, 23:10

Other than a few UI/theme bugs i personally feel that the mac builds could be official very soon. As mentioned in another post the "private window" icon bug in the default theme needs to be fixed. Everything else seems fine on 10.7-10.11 in my testing. 10.6 has a few UI glitches, but i don't think those will ever be fixed. I tried building with the 10.6 SDK, but the builds fail as it is missing too many resources that are needed. One in particular is core media. I'm sure there is a work-a-round for it, but then i don't think we should cobble together a hack job just for snow leopard and limit the browser on newer Mac OS's. I myself can live with the minor UI glitches on snow leopard as they don't make pale moon unusable in any way. We snow leopard users should be thrilled it even works at all. ;)

Cheers.