Crashes

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
acellier

Crashes

Unread post by acellier » 2018-02-15, 23:37

We have been using NewMoon 27.7.0, with Mac OSX 10.6.8 on 2008 iMac
Clicking About ... brings the expected info pane
– but then clicking “Check for Updates” does nothing but say “Checking for updates ...” without end

Trying to load a spam message into spamcop.net entry box causes an immediate crash of NewMoon,
with a download arrow flying toward upper right as it crashes - calling home? No record in the download log.

After a day or two, memory (6 GB on this old Mac; internal disk is SSD) and CPU use climbs from initial 20% up to approach 200%,
then NewMoon freezes and must be force-quit - simple quit vanishes the window, but not the CPU usage.

Just downloaded 27.7.2, hope it will solve some of this. Running out of browser options for Snow Leopard!

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Crashes

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-16, 05:23

The update problem (the fact that it doesn't work) is known, and is pretty much the blocker for making the Mac build official.

As for your other problems, I'm afraid I don't know what the cause(s) could be. You could try a new profile, though, in case that fixes it, or restart in Safe Mode, and if that fixes it, try re-enabling any add-ons one by one, restarting after each one is re-enabled, to see if one of them is causing problems. Again, I don't know what the cause(s) could be, and I don't have Snow Leopard, but these are just general troubleshooting tips.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-02-17, 01:54

SpockMan02 wrote:The update problem (the fact that it doesn't work) is known, and is pretty much the blocker for making the Mac build official.
This is the reason? PM for Linux doesn't even have this feature, so why would the Mac application need it? The user could just download updates and install as needed (super easy to do on a Mac, just drag and drop from the disk-image file.)
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-02-17, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-17, 03:39

Because it isn't a blocker.. Dunno who said this..

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-17, 08:22

sugis wrote:... we'll enable the release branding once we get the last couple of features like autoupdate fixed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-17, 08:51

For the record, official branding will be enabled when the mac version is considered completely stable and release-ready. Not before.
There are still some considerable stability issue and general operational issues with the Mac version.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-17, 21:19

Yeah, fair enough. I've just heard the nonfunctional updating feature repeated as something that needs to be fixed, without other specifics.

acellier

Unread post by acellier » 2018-02-19, 19:46

On 27.7.2 now;
still getting the same crashes for spamcop.net ...
"Trying to load a spam message into spamcop.net entry box causes an immediate crash of NewMoon,
with a download arrow flying toward upper right as it crashes"
I'll try the suggestions of safe boot, and new profile, when I get a chance ...
Thanks for listening.
Last edited by acellier on 2018-02-19, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.