Add-ons consume CPU when disabled

Support and discussions for the Apple Mac OSX builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
Important note:
The Mac OSX version of Pale Moon is still very much in development. Your assistance in bringing this build to fruition is greatly appreciated, but you can expect there to be bugs and problems for a while yet!

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.

Please also note that these builds are currently created by Sugis and Moonchild will likely not be able to provide insight or assistance due to lack of Mac hardware and OS/build knowledge for Mac.
PhilipLewis
Moongazer
Moongazer

Add-ons consume CPU when disabled

Unread postby PhilipLewis » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 00:56

Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,2 GHz
System Version: macOS 10.13.2 (17C205)
Pale Moon: Version: 27.6.2 (64-bit)

I had a bit of time, so I started to investigate what is chewing my CPU.
I have added quite a few that I carried over from my Windows days. I have used PM compatible/forked versions where possible.

What I have discovered is that

a) If I disable ALL the addons and restart the browser, between 13-21% of the CPU is constantly being used.
b) If I restart the browser in safe mode with add-ons disabled, essentially 0% of CPU is used.

I was wondering

a) is this is expected or in any way reasonable? and
b) is this is specific to the OSX version?

It seems like the very existence of add-ons is enough to chomp large chunks of CPU

I guess others might test their versions and developers can have their say.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 01.36.25.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Add-ons consume CPU when disabled

Unread postby Moonchild » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 08:47

Please be aware that Safe Mode does more than just disabling add-ons (also the reason why it was re-labeled in 27.7).
If you see constant high CPU in normal operation mode, it may e.g. be a problem with video acceleration not working well (try disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available" in Preferences -> Advanced)
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

PhilipLewis
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread postby PhilipLewis » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 15:37

Already disabled.

Any other ideas?

I could delete everything and start from scratch I suppose, layering changes and see where it breaks, but that is a rather large pain in the butt.

adesh
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby adesh » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 16:08

It might be because of your custom changes to browser preferences - safe mode resets preferences to default values. If you could paste a lit of modified preferences (in "hide" tags), someone might be able to see if there is a problem with those.This information can be found by using menu and navigating to Help -> Troubleshooting Information.

Goodydino
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby Goodydino » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 20:24

Safe Mode does not change preferences. This page explains:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

adesh
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby adesh » Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 16:58

Off-topic:
Ah, yes. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. Overworked, I guess!

Return to “Pale Moon for Mac OSX”