Pale Moon 27.5.0 Mac Unofficial

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
sugis

Pale Moon 27.5.0 Mac Unofficial

Unread post by sugis » 2017-09-27, 07:01

Hi everyone, enjoy a new build of the 27.5.0 release:

http://mac.palemoon.org/dist/palemoon-27.5.0.mac64.dmg

awalp

Re: Pale Moon 27.5.0 Mac Unofficial

Unread post by awalp » 2017-09-27, 20:43

I saw your post in the other thread about building an official 27.5.0 build, I have one built also.
I noticed you built it still using unstable branding.

I built it using official release branding, since it is the actual 27.5.0 release code and not a development snapshot.
http://awalp.com/palemoon/palemoon-27.5.0.release.mac64.build1.dmg

If I remember correctly I had to backport the nsLocalFileUnix.cpp code fix, a simple if(MAC) then !define statement.
I saw is now merged into the master tree (27.6), That should be backported officially for the next 27.5.X series release.

While short of creating myself a github account, until then I hope this is helpful.
I'm assuming the normal process for code changes is through that system.

I spent maybe 12 hours reading through the entire code tree, all the moz.build files, and mozconfigs, configure.in, Makefiles,

Just to get myself a decent .mozconfig file.

From what I see, when Palemoon was forked from Firefox, was back when 64-bit intel Macs were possibly just coming out,
therefor the proper mozconfigs for a 64-bit Intel Mac included on more recent versions of Firefox are not in our tree.

Anyway, I haven't found any problems with 27.5.0 that I built.

sugis

Unread post by sugis » 2017-09-27, 20:48

Right, Moonchild asked us not to use the supported release branding (even though it is built from a release) since the Mac port is not official yet. So that's why I still use the unstable branding.

Here's the mozconfig starter I use, would be curious to hear what differs from yours:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... nfig.tycho

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-27, 21:12

sugis wrote:Right, Moonchild asked us not to use the supported release branding (even though it is built from a release) since the Mac port is not official yet.
As Moonchild hinted here, with the help of @awalp, maybe you can decide to go official!

sugis

Unread post by sugis » 2017-09-27, 21:17

I'd love that! But I'm just making sure we don't put the cart before the horse; we need an okay from MC before we distribute officially branded builds. My understanding is that at the very least we need to fix auto-updating. Other than that, I'm not sure there's too many blocker issues. Previously there were a number of patches required to build but I believe all of those are committed to master now.

asimperson
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by asimperson » 2017-09-27, 22:36

I'm still having issues getting the full App menu when I click "Palemoon" in the menu bar. I know this has been a common issue in the past. Are there any known fixes?

sugis

Unread post by sugis » 2017-09-27, 22:41

That seems to happen on the first open after upgrading. I've always found that a restart makes it go away and stay away.

Milobinder

Unread post by Milobinder » 2017-09-28, 15:12

Installed on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro running 10.10. Seems even faster and very solid. Thanks again, sugis, for you continued work!

asimperson
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by asimperson » 2017-09-28, 20:00

sugis wrote:That seems to happen on the first open after upgrading. I've always found that a restart makes it go away and stay away.
I've had this issue ever since I switched to Pale Moon on two systems.

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2017-09-29, 11:36

I was able to build as well. So we have at least three folks who can maintain the build. I'll start looking into the auto-update code this weekend.

skogtun

Unread post by skogtun » 2017-09-29, 15:04

Again, it works on MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard. Great, it's the only modern browser for this OS. My old MacBook can run 10.7, but much slower, so I'll hold on to 10.6 as long as possible.

PRIZZA

Unread post by PRIZZA » 2017-09-29, 16:55

Thanks for this! :thumbup:

PhilipLewis
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by PhilipLewis » 2017-10-02, 08:42

Thanks! Great to hear that OS is up to date on OS.

I have just upgraded to macOS 10.13 and installed PM 27.5

This seems to have improved performance on my 2015 i7 MBA generally, and PM seems to be running fine.

It has apparently solved an issue with Disqus, where the display sequence drop down menu was not working.

Crambie

Unread post by Crambie » 2017-10-10, 13:33

Just registered to say thanks for the mac builds. The mac version being a few steps behind wasn't great security wise so it's good to see that's changing.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2017-10-10, 21:35

I have been trying out the Mac version, and it works for the most part. I wonder why it never shows a reload button in the navigation toolbar? It seems to be indicating that a page never stops loading.

How does one stop favicons from being added to bookmarks? I tried setting in about:config:
browser.chrome.favicons = false
browser.chrome.site_icons = false
I even tried adding a filter to uBlock Origin: */favicon*.ico
Those actions do not prevent the icons from appearing in new bookmarks. Where are those things stored so I can get rid of them, and how do I prevent any new ones?

I added a user.js file to my profile, but the settings in it were not copied to my prefs. It is a real bother to add all the settings manually. Is that totally unusable in Pale Moon?

What code do I need to use to make the add bookmark window bigger? I have a userChrome.css file, so I could add code to it if I knew the element name and syntax.

PikachuEXE
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by PikachuEXE » 2017-10-12, 02:47

Looks good so far

I installed my favorite Tab Kit 2 on it (modified a bit for Palemoon) and all seems to be working fine
And faster than Firefox too! (or maybe I dropped some unused extensions when migrating)

I am ready to give up Firefox now!

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2017-10-14, 06:30

There must have been some kind of invisible flaw in the user.js file I copied into Pale Moon's profile. I decided to build it over again from scratch, using ChromEdit Plus, and it is now working. The other problems remain.