Very severe BUGS on the Mac!

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
Pale as the Moon

Very severe BUGS on the Mac!

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-03-24, 07:36

Hi sugis and fellow Mac users,

here are some bugs on the Mac I want to bring to your attention:

- when replaying a YouTube video (HTML5) - e.g. playing it for the second or third time without reloading the entire page - the video does not have any sound. Works in current Firefox 52.0.1, did not happen in Pale Moon 27.0.3/Mac.
- when exiting the fullscreen mode of a YouTube video (HTML5), the entire Pale Moon window does exit the fullscreen mode (the website including comments etc. is shown in a regular window instead of in Mac fullscreen mode). Normally the video should return to its normal size, but not the Pale Moon window as a whole. Works fine in current Firefox 52.0.1.
- a very severe bug: When you open any window other then the main window in Pale Moon (e.g. history window, bookmarks window), Pale Moon does not show the close/minimize/maximize buttons and makes the system's dock as well as the system menu bar on top of the screen disappear. The resulting window is functional, but appears to be very big and "borderless". You are unable to leave Pale Moon by conventional means at this point, although you can still close Pale Moon by pressing and holding its icon in the dock (which you can still access via entering the Launchpad via the Launchpad keyboard key). The history and bookmarks windows are currently unusable on the Mac. Same happens with the Downloads window add-on and its window. The respective windows work fine in current Firefox 52.0.1.
- when using a theme like Dark Moon or White Moon the theme doesn't cover the titlebar at all. The theme should be applied to this UI element as well I'd wager

Pale Moon 27.2, OS X 10.11.6 here
Does anyone experience the same issues?

I hope for fixes ASAP, as those issues are quite severe.

Wish you all the best
Pale as the Moon

snowmoon

Re: Very severe BUGS on the Mac!

Unread post by snowmoon » 2017-03-24, 13:14

Welcome to the forum Pale as the Moon!

I confirm your second point — but normally exiting full screen mode for video and PM going back to regular window seems to me as intended behavior, as long as you do not put PM itself in full screen mode (CMD-Shift-F) and play a youtube video in it’s own full screen mode on top.

Regarding your last two points, you mentioned you tried different themes, maybe beforehand?! — I’d then try to launch PM 27.2 with a clean or scratch profile to see if window buttons are still missing and history/bookmark/… windows still appear unusable, just to make sure that themes/theme remnants are not breaking anything.

Other users of more recent macOS should chime in, as I’m on oldish Snow Leopard.

Pale as the Moon

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-03-24, 15:04

Hi snowmoon,

thanks for your reply. I'll go through your points:
I confirm your second point — but normally exiting full screen mode for video and PM going back to regular window seems to me as intended behavior, as long as you do not put PM itself in full screen mode (CMD-Shift-F) and play a youtube video in it’s own full screen mode on top.
Yeah, I did have Pale Moon in fullscreen mode before and had a fullscreen video on top of that for some while. The behavior as described above happens in this situation and is clearly not intended. Not sure if you would notice in OS X 10.6 though, as today's fullscreen functionality and the corresponding code was introduced in OS X 10.7 and higher.

Regarding your last two points, you mentioned you tried different themes, maybe beforehand?! — I’d then try to launch PM 27.2 with a clean or scratch profile to see if window buttons are still missing and history/bookmark/… windows still appear unusable, just to make sure that themes/theme remnants are not breaking anything.
Nope, same behavior with and without themes. The windows are unusable even with the default theme. Profile was newly created with Pale Moon 27.0, so I don't think there are any remnants worth mentioning.
Other users of more recent macOS should chime in, as I’m on oldish Snow Leopard.
Hopefully. However, I think fixing those issues in the most current OS X iterations (say OS X 10.10 and newer) should be the priority today. Don't get me wrong, but using OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in 2017 is not really feasible security-wise, as this OS has not received any security updates from Apple since 2013. On top of that it can't even be installed on Macs produced in late 2011 going forward. So, might not happen in Snow Leopard, but as long as it does in newer OS X iterations it's not really acceptable.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-03-24, 15:41

Pale as the Moon wrote: - when using a theme like Dark Moon or White Moon the theme doesn't cover the titlebar at all. The theme should be applied to this UI element as well I'd wager
This feature is busted in Pale Moon 27.

Related: issue #623

Pale as the Moon

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-03-24, 15:48

Lootyhoof wrote: This feature is busted in Pale Moon 27.

Related: issue #623
Thanks for the reply, Lootyhoof. Any way to fix this in the future? Possibly with Moonchild's or sugis' help? Would be great, as currently it's not really pleasant to look at I must say.

rampancy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by rampancy » 2017-03-27, 11:05

Pale as the Moon wrote:n you open any window other then the main window in Pale Moon (e.g. history window, bookmarks window), Pale Moon does not show the close/minimize/maximize buttons and makes the system's dock as well as the system menu bar on top of the screen disappear. The resulting window is functional, but appears to be very big and "borderless". You are unable to leave Pale Moon by conventional means at this point, although you can still close Pale Moon by pressing and holding its icon in the dock (which you can still access via entering the Launchpad via the Launchpad keyboard key). The history and bookmarks windows are currently unusable on the Mac. Same happens with the Downloads window add-on and its window. The respective windows work fine in current Firefox 52.0.1.
I've tested Pale Moon 27.2.0 on two machines (2013 MacBook Air, OS X 10.11.6, 2007 MacBook, 10.7.5) and I haven't encountered any of the behavior you've mentioned. Aside from previously mentioned bugs, everything works fine. I even tried themes (I'm using MacFox 2 now) and all windows work fine.

Have you tried doing a complete reinstall? Barring that, you may want to check if you have any special UI addons enabled or installed on your Mac.

Edit: Meant to say MacMoon, not MacFox 2.

Pallid

Unread post by Pallid » 2017-03-28, 15:42

I'm running 10.12.3.

# Youtube full screen (video sample lMkrPpW-emI)
When using Safari in full screen, with a youtube video also full screen, tapping esc once will switch the video to non-full screen, and tapping esc a second time will switch Safari to a regular window.

In Firefox Dev Ed 54 (and Nightly 55), the first esc makes the video non-full screen, the second esc does nothing, and the browser remains in full screen mode. Note that if you full screen the video from a non-full screen window, then the first esc will return you to the non-full screen window. So basically, hitting esc will return you to the state from prior to making the video full screen.

In New Moon 27.2 (PM), hitting esc once will exit both the video full screen as well as the browser full screen (i.e. the equivalent of hitting esc twice in Safari).

Not sure what the desired behaviour is but this is what I'm experiencing.

# Title bars and page names
This is a flaky issue. When I first launched the app I saw certain behaviour. After restarting, I see slightly different behaviour. None of it is particularly good. I've reset the toolbar to default and restarted and nothing has changed.

Currently, if I open a regular window, it has no title bar but there are a few pixels in the navigation toolbar that I can grab to move the window around (e.g. between any two buttons). I can close it with 'command-w', and full screen it with 'command-control-f' so the window appears to work normally, it just lacks some of its interface.

If I open a private window, it has a title bar but no controls and no title on it. The tab has the page title.

Here's a weird one. If I have a private window open, it will have a title bar. If I select 'zoom' from the window menu, the browser window will fill the screen below the main menu (normal behaviour), however the grey title bar will vanish and be replaced by the theme (extended upwards from the navigation bar). If I 'zoom' again, the window reverts to its previous size and the grey title bar returns replacing the extended area covered by the theme. I hope I'm explaining this in a way that makes sense. Basically, instead of having a title bar, the space it would occupy is filled insteady with the theme and it is seamless from the nav bar.

# History/Bookmarks window
Window is labelled as 'Library' and has control buttons, which work (both same as Nightly). Cannot move the window by grabbing at the top (i.e. where you would normally move a window from). However, by grabbing at the bottom (in the grey area below 'Name:', it moves as though you have grabbed the title bar. In Nightly, these behaviours are reversed. Except for moving the windows, they function normally.

So I'm sort of getting the opposite experience in terms of which windows have weird effects.

# Youtube video losing audio when replayed (e.g. lMkrPpW-emI)
Couldn't reproduce this. Tried four replays. Assume it's using HTML5 since I don't have flash installed.

# Themes - Dark text on dark tabs
As another issue, I loaded the theme Aurora Australis with both 27.2 and Firefox Nightly 55.0 and the lettering on the tabs is black in PM and white in Nightly (which is handled correctly). For all themes that I've tried in PM, the tab text is black.

Overall, I'm pleased with the app but it does look like there are a couple of issues. Please let me know if anything above needs clarification.

Pale as the Moon

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-05-17, 12:22

There is a new bug which has come to my attention lately and should be added to the list:

- Sometimes bookmark icons/favicons in the bookmarks bar are getting blown up to huge sizes. The sizes vary but can reach dimensions up to 20 times the size of the original icon. The process seems to be random and it happens with both new and old bookmarks. Does not happen with current Firefox 53.0.2 if that helps.

Pale Moon 27.2.1, OS X 10.11.6

Pale as the Moon

Unread post by Pale as the Moon » 2017-05-17, 14:24

Edit: The last bug I reported (bookmark icons/favicons blowing up to huge sizes) seems to be theme-related. When deactivating White Moon 2.0 the bug disappears. I'll report it in the forum section debating themes.