New User

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
tunescool

New User

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-07, 07:08

how do i make a new user

Shadeclan

Re: New User

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-07, 14:16

What do you mean by "New User"? Do you mean "New Profile"?

tunescool

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-07, 15:33

yea thats what i mean

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-07, 15:54

Start PaleMoon with the following parameter:

Code: Select all

palemoon.exe -ProfileManager
OR

palemoon.exe -P
This will bring up the profile manager. If you have other questions, ask away!

tunescool

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-07, 23:16

im in the mac forum aint i

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-08, 15:10

Sorry - wasn't paying attention. :oops:

I'm not familiar with Mac - you can't start things with command-line parameters? I thought Macs were Linux-based now and had terminals and such.

If Macs have terminals, you could bring up the terminal and enter PaleMoon -p, which should do the trick. Or, you could alter a shortcut (if Macs have such things) and add the parameter to the command-line there.

You'll find additional PaleMoon parameters here

Also, a quick search on command line brought up a path and format for the parameter. If your installation of PaleMoon is in the same place, this should work:

/Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon --ProfileManager

tunescool

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-08, 23:39

nothing worked, and if i search i cant find anything and in the system files i cant find anything for pale moon or new moon

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-12-09, 00:06

Not a Mac user here either, but... thought Mozillazine knowledge base might help:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager?#Mac_OS_X

tunescool

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-09, 00:24

im not sure if thats the app folder with actual apps in them or a system folder

i tried

/Applications/NewMoon/Contents/MacOS/newmoon-bin -profilemanager
and where my pale moon is but still nothing

/MKApps/NewMoon/Contents/MacOS/newmoon-bin -profilemanager

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-09, 10:56

On *nix-based systems you need two dashes for those options (see above).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tunescool

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-09, 15:13

Last login: Thu Dec 8 18:25:03 on ttys000
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon -ProfileManager
-bash: /Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon: No such file or directory
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-09, 15:51

tunescool wrote:Last login: Thu Dec 8 18:25:03 on ttys000
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon -ProfileManager
-bash: /Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon: No such file or directory
Assuming that PaleMoon actually lives in this directory on your computer, try this:

/Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon --ProfileManager
You forgot the double-dash "--" in the parameter call, as Moonchild advised earlier.

tunescool

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-09, 16:05

i just looked at it quick and thought it said you dont need the --

Last login: Fri Dec 9 09:12:22 on ttys000
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /Applications/NewMoon/Contents/MacOS/newmoon-bin -profilemanager/Applications/NewMoon/Contents/MacOS/newmoon-bin --profilemanager
-bash: /Applications/NewMoon/Contents/MacOS/newmoon-bin: No such file or directory
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /MKApps/NewMoon/Contents/MacOS/newmoon-bin --profilemanager
-bash: /MKApps/NewMoon/Contents/MacOS/newmoon-bin: No such file or directory
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon --ProfileManager
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /MKApps/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon --ProfileManager
-bash: /MKApps/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon: No such file or directory

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-09, 16:09

I would say that PaleMoon doesn't live in that directory.

Is there a PaleMoon "shortcut" you have access to that starts PaleMoon?

Is there a way to see the properties of that shortcut, if it exists?

Does it contain the path to PaleMoon or does it just have the name of the ... whatever Macs call the executable file?

Can you add the parameter to the "shortcut" somehow?

snowmoon

Unread post by snowmoon » 2016-12-09, 16:25

For me both variants work:

/Applications/PaleMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon -profilemanager

/Applications/PaleMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon --ProfileManager
But I’m running PaleMoon 27.

To be sure to get the path right, go in finder to the location of your NewMoon.app, right-click on package, choose "show package contents", navigate through Contents > MacOS, there are two binaries palemoon and palemoon-bin, drag one of them into a terminal window add -profilemanager and press enter … if this didn’t work try the other binary.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-09, 16:31

snowmoon wrote:For me both variants work:

To be sure to get the path right, go in finder to the location of your NewMoon.app, right-click on package, choose "show package contents", navigate through Contents > MacOS, there are two binaries palemoon and palemoon-bin, drag one of them into a terminal window add -profilemanager and press enter … if this didn’t work try the other binary.
Thanks - I was hoping that someone who knew their way around a Mac would show up! :D

tunescool

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-09, 16:51

snowmoon wrote:For me both variants work:

my newmoon or palemoon is in a folder called MKApps, i changed the path

there is no NewMoon.app. it came in a .dmg and theres just the Application New Moon in MKApps

there isnt one file in my system folder that called newmoon or palemoon, nothing, ive searched, ive looked in the system folders
Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.44.50 AM.png
Last login: Fri Dec 9 10:02:21 on ttys000
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /Applications/PaleMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon -profilemanager
-bash: /Applications/PaleMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon: No such file or directory
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /MKApps/PaleMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon -profilemanager
-bash: /MKApps/PaleMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon: No such file or directory
cpe-98-144-3-44:~ attie$ /MKApps/newMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/newmoon -profilemanager
-bash: /MKApps/newMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/newmoon: No such file or directory

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-09, 16:59

The folders you're displaying seem to be shortcuts and not the actual app locations, similar to the Windows "Start" menu.

Does PaleMoon run at all on your machine? The Mac version appears to be an alpha build and not ready for prime-time.

tunescool

Unread post by tunescool » 2016-12-09, 17:11

whatever youre babbling its an app on a mac, dont care what windows thing its similiar too. its an app that works

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-09, 17:15

tunescool wrote:whatever youre babbling its an app on a mac, dont care what windows thing its similiar too. its an app that works
OK. I won't try helping you anymore. Hopefully, SnowMoon can help you out. :roll: