Missing icons

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
PhilipLewis
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Missing icons

Unread post by PhilipLewis » 2016-09-30, 10:10

I have been using the OSX build for quite some time.

On my Mac which is always at the latest revision of the OS, there are many sites where icons are incorrectly displayed. The best examples are Yahoo Mail and the start.me page. On start.me, all the items under "Discover" appear as small coloured boxes with what appears to be a code inside.
start.me Discover options
start.me Discover options
Is this something specific to my machine or some general issue. It has always been like that on my Mac.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Missing icons

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-30, 13:41

Those "icons" are glyphs rendered by downloadable fonts. (icon font called fontawesome).
So, you'll have to check if there's an issue with rendering custom fonts or downloading them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

sugis

Unread post by sugis » 2016-09-30, 16:44

https://palemoon.start.me/start works fine for me on 26.5.0
It's worth noting that I see similar glyphs sometimes when JavaScript is blocked by NoScript or an ad blocker. Enabling and reloading the page fixes it for me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-30, 18:11

sugis wrote:I see similar glyphs sometimes when JavaScript is blocked by NoScript
I think one of NoScript's "features" is blocking downloadable fonts, which would cause this. IMHO that has no reason to be in a script blocker since downloadable fonts are not scripts and don't expose scripting-related concerns, but there you have it...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PhilipLewis
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by PhilipLewis » 2016-09-30, 22:13

OK.

I tried Firefox on the same page, it works just fine.
I tried Safari on the same page, it works just fine.
I disabled all my add-ons 1 by 1 in NewMoon, it still does not work.
I started New Moon in safe mode with add-ons disabled, it still does not work.

From this I tentatively conclude that it is not a general macOS issue, but something specific to New Moon as it is operating on my machine.

Any suggestions are welcome. Perhaps there is some config setting that has been set incorrectly at some past time?

Update: There is indeed a downloadable fonts enabled setting which for some reason is disabled. No clue when or why that happened, but there you have it.

Thanks for the correct pointer!

Philip