PaleMoon Mac 26.0.0-pre Build (very alpha)

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
sugis

PaleMoon Mac 26.0.0-pre Build (very alpha)

Unread post by sugis » 2016-01-21, 23:14

Hi everyone,
I've got Pale Moon building on Mac again!

I would love to have some testers tell me how well it works. I have tried it out for about half an hour now and noticed no obvious problems -- but that doesn't mean there aren't any!

http://universe.sugis.org:8180/jenkins/ ... .mac64.dmg

I have some hacked-up fixes on a branch that were needed to build, next step is to get them ported back to master...
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... x?expand=1

Please let me know what you think :)

ajorpheus

Re: PaleMoon Mac 26.0.0-pre Build (very alpha)

Unread post by ajorpheus » 2016-01-22, 12:07

Thank you so much for this!!!

Can I please ask if I'll (finally) be able to install updated versions of extensions now?

For instance, on the last published build of Palemoon for OSX, I have not been able to install newest versions of Firebug for a while.

I attempted doing that after installing 26.0.0-pre and got the following:

Would you know why 26.0.0-pre build of Palemoon is (still) being identified as 24.9?

Thanks again for this awesomeness!!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-22, 20:45

ajorpheus wrote:Would you know why 26.0.0-pre build of Palemoon is (still) being identified as 24.9?
That is very much on purpose, because our extension interfaces are closest-compatible with the Firefox 24 range of extensions. We identify to AMO as 24.9 to make sure relevant extensions are listed and made available for us. The latest version of Firebug is extremely unlikely to work on Pale Moon because it's had to make changes for Firefox's relentless tinkering with the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-01-22, 21:08

Also, I can confirm a few of my themes already work for this build, because of previous (i.e. before I forked) Mac optimizations. :)

Just to note though for those curious: I will not be making my themes Mac compatible just yet; I'll be waiting for if/when there is an official OS X release of Pale Moon to do so.

ajorpheus

Unread post by ajorpheus » 2016-01-23, 10:02

Moonchild wrote:
ajorpheus wrote:Would you know why 26.0.0-pre build of Palemoon is (still) being identified as 24.9?
That is very much on purpose, because our extension interfaces are closest-compatible with the Firefox 24 range of extensions. We identify to AMO as 24.9 to make sure relevant extensions are listed and made available for us. The latest version of Firebug is extremely unlikely to work on Pale Moon because it's had to make changes for Firefox's relentless tinkering with the browser.
Great, thank you MoonChild.
Thank you so much for creating a leaner and (much) snappier alternative to Firefox. I spend a substantial portion of my life (both work and personal) using a browser, and Palemoon has been a pleasure to use every since I first began using it around 15 months back (and have been trying to spread the word/joy ever since).
Off-topic:
For what it's worth, I tried installing the latest stable version of Firefox (43.0) 64-bit (on OSX), just in case things had changed for the better performance wise.
The performance (at least with the combination of extensions that I use) was horrible and that was chiefly because my frame of reference was Palemoon!
(This is on an aging machine - mid-2009 MBP on OSX 10.8.x)

I have renewed my vows with Palemoon and have a renewed sense of appreciation of just how much better it is!

schiway

Unread post by schiway » 2016-01-24, 17:27

finally a new complied version of palemoon for osx.
I noticed, why this version use flashplayer to play youtube? (25.3.0 play youtube in html5 by default)
also, personal request, could you make new versions using 25.3.0's UI, or at least keep it as an option, cause it display better under osx 10.8.5

thx

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-01-24, 18:21

schiway wrote:finally a new complied version of palemoon for osx.
I noticed, why this version use flashplayer to play youtube? (25.3.0 play youtube in html5 by default)
also, personal request, could you make new versions using 25.3.0's UI, or at least keep it as an option, cause it display better under osx 10.8.5

thx
When the previous maintainer did his UX modifications and other such enhancements. He never contributed them back to the repo so they are effectively lost. I am sure that stuff can be redone if this ever makes it to a production quality release.

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2016-01-25, 02:49

I just logged in to say thank you. Thank you!

realmdee

Unread post by realmdee » 2016-01-25, 19:34

I would like to thank sugis for updating this browser. And I would also like to report that after about a day of normal use (using Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook, Yahoo Mail etc.) I have not noticed any problems. I should add that I am running OS X 10.9.5 on a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro.