Quest to create a reliable OS X build

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
HarmonicResonance

Re: Quest to create a reliable OS X build

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2016-01-31, 09:29

Issues I ran into...

Missing dbm directory. That one was easy to fix. Just copy it from FF.

The dylib problem -- what a nightmare. I could not get the dylibs to build, because strip was complaining about its inability to remove symbols from the dylib it built. I looked in moz.build, I looked in Makefiles, I looked everywhere to either turn off strip or get it to work correctly without success. In the .mozconfig file, removing "--enable strip" made no difference. Strip ran anyway. In the end, just copying these files from a working FF build worked.

Then the build barfed on /layout/style/nsCSSPropList.h -- for some reason, it wasn't accepting the // comments. Dunno why, as that is valid C/CPP comment notation, but anyhow, removing ALL comments made the build lurch forward. Only then it died because of a parser stack overflow. I think this is due to some limitation in Python, but copying what it was trying to build, the CSSProperties.webidl worked just as well. I didn't have much faith in mucking around in the internals of Python anyways.

The Makefile thing - I researched how the makefile was being built, but I could nail down where or why the DIRS directory was being put into the Makefile, so it was just easier to fix it after an unsuccessful build. Same thing with the emptyvars.mk.

The longer term solution would be to spend another week or two and figure out why all these things were happening, but fortunately, nobody has to now!

sugis

Unread post by sugis » 2016-02-01, 19:21

You ran into these problems on a vanilla checkout of my 'macosx' branch? That's disappointing, it worked nearly out of the box for me.

What version are you running of OSX, clang, etc? Do you have a build log from clean state to first error?

Sasparilla

Unread post by Sasparilla » 2016-02-06, 02:13

sugis wrote:You ran into these problems on a vanilla checkout of my 'macosx' branch? That's disappointing, it worked nearly out of the box for me.

What version are you running of OSX, clang, etc? Do you have a build log from clean state to first error?
Hi Sugis,

HarmonicResonance wasn't talking about your build (I'm pretty sure) - so no worries.

He was talking about (I believe) what he went through to get the v24 branch to build (thanks for the details Harmonic, ugh 11 hr days...best of luck recovering there) - which was where the OS X effort was right before you joined with your work on the current version.

I've been crazy at work and home, but am finally getting some time. Just created my Mountain Lion VM and will start down the path you detailed to try and recreate the build.

sugis

Unread post by sugis » 2016-02-06, 04:27

Yeah, totally get it -- funny how $DAYJOB gets in the way of important things, like fixing the build system for random open source projects :D
I'm excited, it's been really stable for me for a while now, this is actually feeling like nearly releasable software. Looking forward to hearing from anyone who can reproduce the build!

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2016-02-13, 23:41

Yeah, Sasparilla got it right. My build problems were going from the initial PM build under 10.6. I have some time again, so now I'm back. :)

I haven't been able to build PM 26, though, under 10.9.5. I have XCode installed - 6.1.1.

I did this:

export MOZCONFIG=$(pwd)/build/macosx/universal/mozconfig.release
cd to the PM source dir
./mach build

However, I ended up with this error:

ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.6.o

I've done some research and can't figure out why it needs or is looking for this. I use macports, and I have installed autoconf213, ccache, pkg-config, and yasm.

Still enjoying using PM 26 though. :)