Why have a build specifically for OS X? Topic is solved

Support and discussions for the Apple Mac OS X builds of Pale Moon
Forum rules
Important note:
The Mac OSX version of Pale Moon is provided by various people and is not official or in any way organized at this moment. Your assistance in bringing this build to fruition is greatly appreciated, but you can expect there to be bugs and problems as long as we don't have a maintainer or official builds!

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.

Please also note that these builds are currently created by various independent Mac OS X people and not by our core team; core devs will likely not be able to provide insight or assistance due to lack of Mac hardware and OS/build knowledge for Mac. You'll have to solve the issues among yourselves.
Free Bird
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Why have a build specifically for OS X?

Post by Free Bird » 2020-06-14, 21:29

The Squash wrote:
2020-06-14, 18:30
I was asking from a developer's perspective why GTK is only really used on UNIX-like systems.
While GTK is technically cross-platform, in practice it is perceived as Gnome's GUI library (like Qt is perceived as KDE's GUI library). GTK applications look "correct" inside Gnome. They look "off" inside other environments. Since Gnome is practically only used on UNIX-like systems, the same goes for GTK, but to a lesser degree.

Goodydino
Astronaut
Astronaut

Post by Goodydino » 2020-06-15, 18:20

HarmonicResonance wrote:
2020-06-14, 18:22
Dude, come on. You are speaking like you don't know about the consistency that either leads to people being wildly in love with your platform or just enduring it.

Put another why, why should shortcuts be consistent between applications?

Why should buttons be placed in the same order across applications?

Why should words be used consistently across applications?

You get the idea. Please look into UX, human factors, man-machine interfaces, and so on. There's been a lot of research done on this topic and what you are suggesting people do not want and there are many good reasons behind it.
I get the point about the arrangement of toolbars and buttons, but some people have conniption fits if the colours are different. I certainly do not see any point in that.

The Squash
Moon lover
Moon lover

Post by The Squash » 2020-06-15, 22:25

I already said this was solved. I appreciate people responding to my question, but I'm now going to get on with my life.

Thanks again.
THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY 2
NOBODY ON BOARD THE RUBY ON RAILS FEELS SAFE TONIGHT -- THERE ARE RUMORS OF A ZERO-DAY VULNERABILITY
"The whole film is a hack job." -- Guns N' Cowboys Flicks Magazine
IN THEATERS NOW
Rated PG-13 -- because the producer took some creative liberties...

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-06-15, 23:32

What was solved? I see no issue to resolve here.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by adesh » 2020-06-16, 07:01

Off-topic:
Why are we discussing this? Don't beat the dead horse, and please quench your thirst elsewhere. This should be locked else someone will again preach about consistency and design.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-06-16, 12:42

I'll happily preach about consistency, design ad intuitive interfaces any day. I'm not gonna lock a thread in fear of that.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose