inactive builders

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
ikar-us

inactive builders

Unread post by ikar-us » 2015-06-16, 11:07

On http://www.palemoon.org/contributed-builds.shtml ,
the AVX build is marked as inactive and outdated.
The SSE build should be marked as such as well.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: inactive builders

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-22, 21:15

I don't really get it.. people start on a third-party build, ask about redistribution, then just stop maintaining without a word.
I guess I'll just make a more generic note about the builds listed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ikar-us

Unread post by ikar-us » 2015-06-22, 22:14

Just now building for SSE was resumed!
After five releases skipped.

Alt+F4

Unread post by Alt+F4 » 2015-10-03, 08:30

Could someone PLEASE provide regular Pale Moon SSE builds? It would be greatly appreciated!

Roman's releases are great but they are so sporadic and irregular...

Thanks!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-10-03, 08:47

Alt+F4 wrote:Could someone PLEASE provide regular Pale Moon SSE builds? It would be greatly appreciated!

Roman's releases are great but they are so sporadic and irregular...

Thanks!
Don't look at me I had my fill with PM4XP.. Never again.. RelEng seriously sucks. Also, you should be bothering the guy who committed to the 3rd party build.. Not us.

Alt+F4

Unread post by Alt+F4 » 2015-10-03, 10:40

Hey Matt, it's gotta be you and nobody else! :D

Jeez, man, take it easy FFS... I asked for this from no one in particular... not you, not Moonchild... but somebody who perhaps is willing to do it... no strings attached whatsoever.

Seriously, the whole problem is that the guy who committed himself to the 3rd party build is not committed. There is not much I (or anybody else for that matter) can do about it.

Until the solution is found (if ever), the SSE build should be marked outdated. Just my 2 ¢.

And please Matt, don't feel bothered. There's no need. Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-10-03, 11:06

Alt+F4 wrote:Hey Matt, it's gotta be you and nobody else! :D

Jeez, man, take it easy FFS... I asked for this from no one in particular... not you, not Moonchild... but somebody who perhaps is willing to do it... no strings attached whatsoever.

Seriously, the whole problem is that the guy who committed himself to the 3rd party build is not committed. There is not much I (or anybody else for that matter) can do about it.

Until the solution is found (if ever), the SSE build should be marked outdated. Just my 2 ¢.

And please Matt, don't feel bothered. There's no need. Thank you.
Don't worry I am good... :thumbup:

Though you could go to his site and contact him to get a move on or just to tell us he isn't doing them anymore.. This situation is kinda unacceptable and kind of puts users at risk by skipping important updates to the code that should be pushed out.

While doing PM4XP.. I did give my self an out to quit at any time and I did consider it a few times.. But I stuck with it until the intended end date. I did learn a lot about release engineering, automatic update servicing and some previously unknown tidbits about the codebase and the "NT subsystem divide" which helped all of us to produce better builds when v25 came about.

I accomplished a lot and helped ~500 people (that time I bothered counting) and wouldn't trade the accomplishment for anything.. But wouldn't do it again unless absolutely necessary :P

Alt+F4

Unread post by Alt+F4 » 2015-10-03, 12:00

Matt A Tobin wrote:Don't worry I am good... :thumbup:

Though you could go to his site and contact him to get a move on or just to tell us he isn't doing them anymore.. This situation is kinda unacceptable and kind of puts users at risk by skipping important updates to the code that should be pushed out.
I (and a couple of other guys) did contact him but to no avail. And you are absolutely right, this situation is unacceptable and puts users at risk, depreciating your efforts to keep this great browser safe and up to date.
While doing PM4XP.. I did give my self an out to quit at any time and I did consider it a few times.. But I stuck with it until the intended end date. I did learn a lot about release engineering, automatic update servicing and some previously unknown tidbits about the codebase and the "NT subsystem divide" which helped all of us to produce better builds when v25 came about.

I accomplished a lot and helped ~500 people (that time I bothered counting) and wouldn't trade the accomplishment for anything.. But wouldn't do it again unless absolutely necessary :P
Thanks, Matt, I really do appreciate your work. Keep it up!

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2015-10-17, 21:43

Hm. What's actually involved in making builds for public distribution?

I've been building my own SSE versions of PM for my own use for over a year, and I'm pretty sure I'll continue for a while yet. I'd be happy to share them, but I have no clue how to do so appropriately.

For starters, I have no online space to put them. I also don't even know how to build the .exe installer; just the .zip. Nor do I know how to deal with the internal updater so it can pull a compatible binary, or at least be prevented from pulling an incompatible one.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-10-18, 09:25

Mercury wrote:Hm. What's actually involved in making builds for public distribution?

I've been building my own SSE versions of PM for my own use for over a year, and I'm pretty sure I'll continue for a while yet. I'd be happy to share them, but I have no clue how to do so appropriately.

For starters, I have no online space to put them. I also don't even know how to build the .exe installer; just the .zip. Nor do I know how to deal with the internal updater so it can pull a compatible binary, or at least be prevented from pulling an incompatible one.
You should at the very least run

Code: Select all

mach package
after building at the very least so that the binaries are properly stripped and everything is packaged. That is the minimal level of what to do because JUST compiling isn't the only thing you need to do.

Also building for your self and building and publishing a release are VERY different things. You need to consider that the update you push out actually isn't broken.

Alt+F4

Unread post by Alt+F4 » 2015-10-18, 14:05

Mercury wrote:Hm. What's actually involved in making builds for public distribution?

That's great news!

Maybe you could ask Roman for help too, he used to provide PM SSE builds, he's probably willing to help...

Here, via the comment section...

http://www.romanstefko.com/pale-moon-sse/

... or here, via his Twitter account...

https://twitter.com/rstefko

Good luck and thank you.

Eagerly waiting for your magic... ;)

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2015-10-18, 15:22

Matt A Tobin wrote:You should at the very least run

mach package
Yeah, I got that part. That's what I meant when I said I can make the .zip.
Also building for your self and building and publishing a release are VERY different things. You need to consider that the update you push out actually isn't broken.
You're not telling me anything I don't already know!
I'm asking what else I need to do, after making the .zip, which I can already do reliably.
I'm sure the builds I make aren't broken, since I use them myself on a real Athlon XP system.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2015-10-18, 15:40

Okay, let's run this down again. I want to help, and it seems like I have something to offer because:
- I've already invested time (a lot of time, in fact) into learning how to do builds that work with SSE processors.
- I have a build environment set up and can do builds (up to the "mach package" stage) reliably.
- I have a genuine SSE CPU test system to verify my builds.

Issues I need resolved are:
1) What do I do about PM's internal updater. As it is, attempting an update from within PM will install an SSE2-requiring executable.
—1a) I just leave that as-is, and people running this version should just be smart enough not to use the updater. Fine by me, but would Moonchild approve?
—1b) Disable the internal updater, or have it display a message or open a webpage instead. How to do this?
—1c) Somehow get the updater working as intended, downloading new builds as I publish them. No clue about how this process works. It may be too hard for me.
2) What about the executable installer?
—2a) Not necessary. People will use the .zip that that's that. Would Moonchild approve?
—2b) The .exe is necessary. How do I make it?
3) Online space. Someone else needs to provide it; I can't. I'm fine with just a public FTP site I could upload to, honestly.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-10-18, 15:52

Mercury wrote:What do I do about PM's internal updater. As it is, attempting an update from within PM will install an SSE2-requiring executable.
You could simply set ac_add_options --disable-updater in the .mozconfig file to disable the internal updater. You could also generate incremental updates via the updater, but you'll have to ask someone else regarding the details.
Mercury wrote: What about the executable installer?
I'd guess that this isn't a strict requirement for being approved as an official third-party build, but you could use cd $OBJDIR && make installer for this.
Mercury wrote:Online space.
There are many websites which provide hosting for open source projects.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-10-18, 18:27

One) Don't listen to squarefractal he is occasionally mistaken on proper procedure and advancements I specifically put in to make releng easier or other options that can be provided.. If you are serious about this.. Then I CAN help you.

Two) For binary releases which are not going to be signed.. I added a few extra mach commands to speed things along..

mach installer
for instance will easily generate the installer package

mach mar
likewise will also generate the mar files needed for AUS (automatic update service)

And C) you need to change app.update.url to serve automatic updates from your specific location.. Now, I have been down this road.. this can get tricky to juggle around but I also have solutions as well.

Finally, NaN) Also, you should consider exactly which mozconfig options you run for production builds.

Perhaps it might be easier for real-time communication.. Hit me up on our IRC channel and I can expand on what you can do..