[AVX build] weird system freeze when opening Ubisoft Forums

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
Gelbsucht

[AVX build] weird system freeze when opening Ubisoft Forums

Unread post by Gelbsucht » 2015-01-27, 20:51

Hello, i'm using the AVX version (because my Intel i7 supports that), everything runs fine, any Internet Page opens fine etc. I only have Flashplayer in its newest version and Adblock Latitude.

The point is, whenever I open the Ubisoft Forums it certainly WILL randomly freeze up -and I mean the whole freakin Computer!

So I open the link= http://forums-de.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/366-The-Crew because I play The Crew and want to actively take part in the Forums Life. Then after an unknown amount of time I see the mouse arrow begin to stutter and even if I hit Alt+F4 I have no chance at all. Whenever the mouse arrow begins to lag it's over.

My screen then is frozen up, Strg+Alt+Entf (respectively Crtl+Alt+Del) does NOT work anymore -anything came to a dead stop. The bad thing about this is, it does not give a BSoD and weirdly it does also not produce an entry in the System Log. I opened the System event log and found nothing.

With any other Browwser and even on other Forums that also use vBulletin the problem does not exist. So I guess Ubisoft is using some sort of Forum Plugin-Hacks or something other that leads my AVX-Palemoon to freak out. Sadly I cant say what it is because no log available. But I'm very sure every AVX-built will crash on that Website.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: [AVX build] weird system freeze when opening Ubisoft For

Unread post by satrow » 2015-01-28, 02:40

Moin, Welcome to the Pale Moon forum :)

I just installed the x86 AVX build on my Xeon E3 v2/Windows 7x64, R9 270, logged into both the English Ubisoft (Far Cry 4) and the DE Ubisoft Crew sites without seeing any hesitancy/freezing (40 minutes and counting).

Active Plugins: only Flash 16.0.0.296.

Extensions: Pale Moon Commander 1.5.0, Tab Groups (Panorama) 0.2.

Ad/security blocking system-wide with HPHosts via HostsMan.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-01-28, 12:28

Greetings, Gelbsucht.

Since I don't have an account with the forums, I was merely hovering over the forums and checking topics.
During my checks, no sort of hanging ever occurred, so I can't lead the browser to being culprit.

It could be bad drivers and hardware acceleration. Update your video card/chip drivers and try again. Maybe, you will have to turn off Hardware Acceleration.

Edit: Checking satrow's reply again, I noticed that he is using Flash. Update your Flash version, or even disable Flash's Hardware Acceleration.

Gelbsucht

Unread post by Gelbsucht » 2015-01-28, 14:56

I even dont have to be logged in on the Forums and the weird thing is -as said, it`s the only one. Any other Forums based on the same Software just work. I am using the latest Flashplayer from a few days ago. That info is just for the record, I dont think it ´s something with Adobe. The rest on my Windows Environment is just the usual stuff: MS Updates, .NET Framework etc. NO Silverlight, NO Java JRE, no beta Software or even Crackz etc. No beta drivers.

I run the Nvidia Forceware 344.75 WHQL (no beta driver) and it works anywhere without issues. The freezes don`t come everytime, just random. My Pale Moon runs fine, with just Flash + ABL extension it starts in one sec on my SSD (first start and every following). i only encounter those System freezes on that particular Website :?

Another example -I`m also a user on computerbase.de and they also use this vBulletin for the Forums and everything just works. Any other Webite works too, the Browser itself is stable as it should be and fast as promised. Only at Ubisoft Forums, something like bad code comes in or whatever it is.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-01-28, 15:13

Gelbsucht wrote:Only at Ubisoft Forums, something like bad code comes in or whatever it is.
Please, try Safe Mode or a NEW Profile. You can revert everything and delete your new profile upon finishing, but do test the site that way, as it could be something else in your browser, or even malware that only works while you visit Ubisoft?(The malware thing would be absurd if it only happens in that site, but never ignore the possibilities.)
Right, it could be badly-coded to begin with, but it's not affecting me nor satrow, so we have to dig-deep for the mystery to unfold.

I'll lurk the forums again, for about an hour and read topics, which I won't be able to make-out since I don't know German, but anything to see if I fall into this problem.

Gelbsucht

Unread post by Gelbsucht » 2015-02-06, 17:33

I had this freeze at another Website (lieferando.de), then I decided to change to another Pale Moon. I am using the -no kidding- 32bit standard Pale Moon now and a few minutes ago, again on the Ubi Forums -the System froze up again. So it isn't an issue related to the AVX or even 64bit built.

When I built my computer last month, I tested the RAM, SSD, HDD etc as usual and got no errors. I have now uninstalled Silverlight (don't really need it), diasbled the useless Intel Mozilla Plugins from the Intel MEI (came up after the 32bit Pale Moon was ready), I only need the stupid Flashplayer and ABL and that's it.

If I remember correctly I didn't have that issue with the older 25.10 AVX-built so I will downgrade now to see what's what. Let's hope for the best. If it turns out that it won't freeze during the next days the problem is related to the changes/fixes that have been made with 25.20. Just plain logic. Sadly I can't say exactly what it is because I'm not a Web Dev and on the other side, Windows doesn't write anything in the logs as it -really surprisingly for Win 7- freezes up completely.

Stay tuned :problem:

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-06, 23:18

Gelbsucht wrote:I had this freeze at another Website (lieferando.de), then I decided to change to another Pale Moon. I am using the -no kidding- 32bit standard Pale Moon now and a few minutes ago, again on the Ubi Forums -the System froze up again. So it isn't an issue related to the AVX or even 64bit built.
You need to try a New Profile. Switching from a 64-bit to a 32-bit won't make a difference if something is plaguing Palemoon.

Gelbsucht

Unread post by Gelbsucht » 2015-02-08, 20:58

How do i create a new profile? I don't find any menu point for that. never needed this before.

I tell you what I did, I uninstalled the current 64bit variant. I ticked the checkbox, delete all my data blabla. Then I installed the 32bit PM. After that failed, I did exactly the same and BEFORE I installed the currently running AVX 25.10, I did a manual search in Windows and deleted ALL directories from PM/Moonchild by hand! After that, even CCLeaner realised that there was no more Pale Moon present.

It ran fine, until it froze up while I was in Facebook this evening. Funny thing is, I did not install Flashplayer anymore since I'm fed up with it, so this can't be it. Now that got me thinking, what if it's just an overload of Code being downloaded from the Website biting another rendering/decoding part of the Browsers Engine? And BTW I was always wondering why the Browser eats up way over 200MB RAM at the Start Page only, regardless if it's the PM Homepage, if its Google.de or if it's the uber small and light computerbase.de.

I used Waterfox 18 from 2012 until the end of 2014, without ABP. So I have now kicked out ABL from the Browser= NO extensions, NO plugins and I will watch it now. The instant side effect is that with the PM Homepage as the Start Page, it does only 'eat' 106MB RAM. Not that I would care of RAM Usage (I have 16 GB of that) but this is a significant difference. And beside the RAM hunger from ABP/ABL in general, I have to try every possible step.

Creating a new Profile wouldn't be a problem, I have set up the Browser so many times the last days (normal settings, customizing the about:config settings too, importing/exporting thousands of bookmarks...) I can do that once more. :lol:

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-08, 21:36

Make a new account on your Windows, and try it there.
If it bugs there, then it could be the browser or something in the OS, possibly Hardware issues.

Try it on another computer.
To this day, we haven't had anyone bring that topic up, nor that it has affected them, or we would have to dig-deep to find a solution. It's odd that it happens when you installed the latest AVX, but we can't overrule you, thank you for making the topic.

Gelbsucht

Unread post by Gelbsucht » 2015-02-09, 19:52

Hi again. I can now confirm it is NOT Adblock Latitude because I once again had a freeze on those Ubi Forums today.

It's not Flash (don't use it anymore)
It's not ABL (Problem still occurs)
It's not related to the 64bit or 32bit version specificly

What I haven't mentioned is that I watched that thing freezing up mostly when I was scrolling. I haven't forgotten about the new profile option but I have now installed Waterfox 28 (same old non-Australis stuff) for comparison reasons and will use the Sites I've been frozen up now in this Browser excessively. I know WF is being built on another Compiler, has even more Instruction Sets activated etc but in the end, it's also based on FF in many ways -just like PM. And for the smooth scrolling, it does not have those extended options for it. Just on/off.

So two similar Browsers, looking forward how they behave. What I CAN say already is that when I use the edit feature in the Ubi Forums, PM AVX-built destroys the text formatting whilst WF does not. But again I can't address that to PM fully because on computerbase.de which is also using vBulletin, everything works like a charm. Including scrolling, for example. And I left HW-Acceleration ON, disabling it is pointless IMHO because in my understanding that will also disable all the SSE/AVX etc instructions.

The funny thing is now, I wish that Waterfox also will freeze because otherwise it will look like a problem specificly related to Pale Moons' Architecture. Which would mean I have to kick it. I don't want that because I like it very much, especially because it doesn't look like Google Chrome.

EDIT= I see, I'm not the first user who got freezes= http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2461 sadly, that Topic has been discontinued without further information.

Gelbsucht

Unread post by Gelbsucht » 2015-02-13, 18:58

After using WF 28 for 5 days now I can confirm it was PM. It is a Pale Moon issue. I'm using that Waterfox everyday now on all the usual Sites I visit on a regular basis and got no problems at all. I can't say what caused PM to freak out because I don't think my Hardware doesn't work, I have a Intel i7-4790K, lots of RAM etc... See my computer here= http://www.sysprofile.de/id186868

------------------------------------
Another thing I've noticed is that when I use a Paypal Checkout, there was a significant difference between PM and WF. PM did it just wrong, see the pictures please=

That's how it is with WF and how it should be= http://abload.de/img/ttttttttttldl8w.jpg
and that is how it was with both PM versions I have tested= http://abload.de/img/uuuuuuuuuuxxakt.jpg

Maybe you can at least verify this because I honestly don't think that this issue of interpreting Code is on my System only.
------------------------------------

So I'm sorry to say but I have to sacrifice the tiny bit of speed PM is infront of WF (under the same about:config settings) for normal stability. I would have recorded a small video from the freeze but it would be useless because you don't see where it comes from. And it isn't the extended scrolling settings. I turned that off meanwhile. It's some Pale Moon Code of how the Browser is parsing the whole Site.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-13, 21:50

I use Paypal all the time and no such issue.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2015-02-13, 22:53

I've spent another ~3 hours in 2 sessions trying to recreate your issue across the Ubisoft forums and I cannot.

There are 2 topics here you should study, then supply us with relevant details, please:
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4501

Hardware can't be customised very much, the opposite is true of Windows, as well as a huge difference in other installed software that may have a effect. Perhaps a full detection at http://www.ma-config.com/de with a link to your results would be much more useful than basic hardware and benchmarks, etc.