(Deprecated) Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
Davesnothere

Re: Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-28, 15:42

Matt A Tobin wrote:If you have an Atom Processor then the Atom build will run the best.

Otherwise PM4XP is your best bet as it does not hold a bias to the Atom Processor.

PM4XP is exactly comparable to Main-Line Pale Moon.
Thanks for the clarifications, and this is exactly what I have been doing so far on that particular PC, and working fine in the default compatibility mode.

BTW, would the Atom build also be the best choice (vs regular Main-Line Pale Moon) for later Netbooks, containing an Atom CPU and running Windows 7 'Starter Edition' ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-28, 16:13

Davesnothere wrote:BTW, would the Atom build also be the best choice (vs regular Main-Line Pale Moon) for later Netbooks, containing an Atom CPU and running Windows 7 'Starter Edition' ?
If it's a lower resource machine with an Intel Atom™ processor in it, then yes, the Atom build will be your best choice.
Basically, Netbook+Atom -> Atom version (regardless of OS)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-29, 00:23

Moonchild wrote:
Davesnothere wrote:BTW, would the Atom build also be the best choice (vs regular Main-Line Pale Moon) for later Netbooks, containing an Atom CPU and running Windows 7 'Starter Edition' ?
If it's a lower resource machine with an Intel Atom™ processor in it, then yes, the Atom build will be your best choice.

Basically, Netbook+Atom -> Atom version (regardless of OS)
Super - Thanks - I'll spread the word about that point.

Pedro

Unread post by Pedro » 2014-10-30, 11:29

Bump!
Pedro wrote:Hi Tobin
Matt A Tobin wrote:Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.0.2 has been released.
Update worked perfectly! Thank you again!

One small detail: would it be possible to update the version information in the palemoon.exe details to match the release version?

I use SUMo (http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo) to manually check for updates for all programs and although I'm using Palemoon 25.0.2 but it is reporting that I still have 25.0.0

Can you fix this?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-30, 11:31

No. The Microsoft style version information in the binary is dictated by the codebase and building process. I will not change it.

In the future, don't bump posts like that.

metamorphosis

Unread post by metamorphosis » 2014-11-12, 11:48

I was quite happy with this, but found several sites scripts just didn't work with it (deviantArt submissions, gamasutra article submission).
These all worked fine with PM 24 and work fine with firefox-
Cheers,
M

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2014-11-15, 01:45

When will this be updated?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-15, 01:56

Pnume wrote:When will this be updated?
Later tonight. I have to rebuild the binaries to correct a compilation error. Stay tuned.

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2014-11-15, 02:19

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Pnume wrote:When will this be updated?
Later tonight. I have to rebuild the binaries to correct a compilation error. Stay tuned.
Thanks. And sorry if I came off as impatient—I'm not. Just was curious is all. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-15, 02:31

Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.1.0 has been released.

Pale Moon 25.1.0 Release Notes here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6531

PM4XP Release Notes:
No Additional changes from main-line

You can get it here: http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/ or via the internal software updater.

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2014-11-15, 13:41

Thanks Tobin! :thumbup:

dr_st
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dr_st » 2014-11-15, 17:23

Updated; working great so far, thanks. :)

One question - I noticed that when updating PM4XP through the internal updater, the full installer (~24MB) always gets downloaded, whereas the main-line version seems to download what appears to be an incremental update (~1MB). It's a minor thing, obviously, but I was wondering why it is the case, and whether something prevents PM4XP from using the same incremental update method.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-15, 21:33

dr_st wrote:Updated; working great so far, thanks. :)

One question - I noticed that when updating PM4XP through the internal updater, the full installer (~24MB) always gets downloaded, whereas the main-line version seems to download what appears to be an incremental update (~1MB). It's a minor thing, obviously, but I was wondering why it is the case, and whether something prevents PM4XP from using the same incremental update method.
Incremental Updates are a pain to generate. Since this is a contrib build, has relatively low usership compared to main-line, and I have no bandwidth restrictions on the Binary Outcast server I saw little point in generating incremental mar files for the time being. All is as it should be but thanks for the question and noticing! :thumbup:

McFluffy

Unread post by McFluffy » 2014-11-15, 22:48

Works like a charm :thumbup:
Perhaps the xp build could get a more prominent forum place together with the Mac ect. versions, instead of deeply hidden in the 5'th row ?
Off-topic:
Tobin: Do you actually believe in a future for ReactOS, or is it simply because the PM4XP by nature works on this OS?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-15, 22:55

McFluffy wrote:Works like a charm :thumbup:
Perhaps the xp build could get a more prominent forum place together with the Mac ect. versions, instead of deeply hidden in the 5'th row ?
Off-topic:
Tobin: Do you actually believe in a future for ReactOS, or is it simply because the PM4XP by nature works on this OS?
Point 1: Maybe.. it will depend on the specific activity re: PM4XP gets.. Right now I am not that bothered about it being in 3rd party contrib. (which this board was my idea anyway :P)
Off-topic:
Point 2: Yes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-16, 00:42

You asked for it.. I provided it. Pale Moon for Windows XP (and ReactOS) portable version is now on the project page! Go get it..

McFluffy

Unread post by McFluffy » 2014-11-16, 08:51

Wow :thumbup:

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-11-16, 20:30

Matt A Tobin wrote:You asked for it.. I provided it. Pale Moon for Windows XP (and ReactOS) portable version is now on the project page! Go get it..
Yes, I just noticed it on the site page for which you posted the link upthread.

Thanks ! :)

This is one more example of PaleMoon caring about users having CHOICE. :clap:

theelf

Unread post by theelf » 2014-12-10, 00:41

Hi!!

greetings from japan, new here, sorry my english please... i just came to say thank you!!

I just upgrade one week ago from XP 32bits to XP 64bit, and the first "problem" was about get a updated palemoon build... annd i finish here :D

Keep you good work :clap: congratulations

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-17, 03:41

(Might be a good idea to mention this)

Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.2.0 has been released.

Pale Moon 25.2.0 Release Notes here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7076

PM4XP Release Notes:
No Additional changes from main-line

You can get it here: http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/ or via the internal software updater.