(Deprecated) Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
Pnume

Re: Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

Unread post by Pnume » 2014-10-15, 18:19

Matt A Tobin wrote:Some jetpack style add-ons should be automagically fixed by this update as well! Also good to know the internal updater is working outside of my system (you never know :P)
That fixed Auto-Sort Bookmarks and Simple Currency Converter. W00t!

Now I believe that ePubReader and MinimizetoTrayRevived are the only extensions I use that still don't work. A user here claims that he got MinimizetoTrayRevived to work so I'm hopeful about being able to use it again but I still don't know whether or not ePubReader will be easy to fix. But, honestly, in the event that I'd never be able to use the latter extension again, I wouldn't mind so much as I do pretty much all of my eBook reading on 'real' eReaders. However, ePubReader is alright to use to preview eBooks that I've purchased.

Freezing Moon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2014-10-20, 21:14

I installed PM4XP on my brother's PC and I have one question...is auto-updating working or do I have
to update it manually in the future ?
Thanks.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-21, 01:08

Unlike the older v24.x PM4XP64, PM4XP 32 and 64 bits do have update packaging and will indeed get updates through the internal software updater

greyowl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by greyowl » 2014-10-21, 15:56

I have an XP computer with PM 24.7. I want go to PM4XP which I have downloaded. How do I install it?
If I run it, will it just update 24.7 or does it produce another instance of PM.
Or, is it better to uninstall 24.7 and install a fresh PM4XP?

Thanks for the help.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-21, 16:22

You can just.. install it. It is designed to take over from older main-line versions using the same location in program files and the same profile. For all intents and purposes this would be the same as if it was main-line.

The only reason it was NOT updated via the internal Software Update was because while I am apart of the Project and build it exactly as Moonchild would Binary Outcast is not Moonchild Productions (dispite the connection through my self) so it would be unfair and unwise to auto-update to a build that is technically from a separate vendor. Of course PM4XP is fully endorsed by Moonchild Productions and does abide by the terms for redist and 3rd party contributed builds the fact that it is not produced BY or distributed FROM Moonchild Productions means it must be a deliberate choice on your part to switch over.

greyowl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by greyowl » 2014-10-21, 18:43

Thank you.

greyowl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by greyowl » 2014-10-22, 15:37

Just need a little more clarification--hope I am not being too redundant.

I want to try both PM4XP and PM Atom on an XP laptop.

Can I run both on the same computer? Or, would the atom have to be the portable version if PM4XP is already on the laptop?

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-22, 17:03

To run more than one Pale Moon versions, you need the others to be portable. So, yes Atom portable.

greyowl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by greyowl » 2014-10-22, 17:22

Thanks, again.

dr_st
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dr_st » 2014-10-22, 19:56

Matt A Tobin wrote:The only reason it was NOT updated via the internal Software Update was because while I am apart of the Project and build it exactly as Moonchild would Binary Outcast is not Moonchild Productions (dispite the connection through my self) so it would be unfair and unwise to auto-update to a build that is technically from a separate vendor. Of course PM4XP is fully endorsed by Moonchild Productions and does abide by the terms for redist and 3rd party contributed builds the fact that it is not produced BY or distributed FROM Moonchild Productions means it must be a deliberate choice on your part to switch over.
Perhaps it is a good idea then to change or augment the "About" box? On my PM4XP 25.0.1 it still says "Released by Moonchild Productions" and is only called "Pale Moon", not "Pale Moon for Windows XP". No mention of "Binary Outcast".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-22, 20:04

dr_st wrote:Perhaps it is a good idea then to change or augment the "About" box? On my PM4XP 25.0.1 it still says "Released by Moonchild Productions" and is only called "Pale Moon", not "Pale Moon for Windows XP". No mention of "Binary Outcast".
It is a straight-up rebuild of Pale Moon from source with minimal changes to allow XP targeting only.
It is still Pale Moon as-released by Moonchild Productions, but it is just built by BinOC. It's a third-party contributed build of the same product (endorsed, so with permission to use official branding).

Does that clarify it for you?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-22, 22:54

http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/ clearly explains this and much more.
PM4XP binaries are distributed with Pale Moon branding according to the terms for redistribution and 3rd Party Contributed builds.

dr_st
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dr_st » 2014-10-23, 09:14

Fair explanation. I just wondered because of your "technically from a separate vendor" remark. Thanks. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-23, 10:00

dr_st wrote:Fair explanation. I just wondered because of your "technically from a separate vendor" remark. Thanks. :)
s/vendor/maintainer ? ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

greyowl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by greyowl » 2014-10-23, 13:07

Once I switch over to PM4XP 25.0.1, will I thereafter be able to update with the internal updater, or will I have to download new versions and manually update?
Thanks

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-23, 13:35

greyowl wrote:Once I switch over to PM4XP 25.0.1, will I thereafter be able to update with the internal updater, or will I have to download new versions and manually update?
Thanks
It does have update packaging.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-24, 20:39

Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.0.2 has been released.

Pale Moon 25.0.2 Release Notes here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6247

PM4XP Release Notes:
No Additional changes from main-line

You can get it here: http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/ or via the internal software updater.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-26, 18:42

{ I have noticed that someone else has touched upon comparing these two builds, and their post I have quoted further below.}

I too am currently testing the Atom-Optimized 32-bit Portable build of PM 25.0.2 on a PC which has both XP and an Atom CPU.

Will I see optimal performance and functions with THAT build on this PC, or should I instead be using the 'Pale Moon for Windows XP' build (in my case 32-bit) which is being offered here ?

My PC seems to meet the system requirements of both editions, so I would appreciate some guidance from the masters here. :)

And, please, to make things easier, could I nudge you (Tobin) into releasing a Portable build of 'Pale Moon for Windows XP' ?

Thanks.
greyowl wrote:Just need a little more clarification--hope I am not being too redundant.

I want to try both PM4XP and PM Atom on an XP laptop.

Can I run both on the same computer? Or, would the atom have to be the portable version if PM4XP is already on the laptop?
Clearly, GreyOwl is also trying to determine which flavour of PM might be the better choice on a computer with the same CPU & OS as I have.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-26, 19:02

If you have an Atom Processor then the Atom build will run the best. Otherwise PM4XP is your best bet as it does not hold a bias to the Atom Processor. PM4XP is exactly comparable to Main-Line Pale Moon.

Pedro

Unread post by Pedro » 2014-10-28, 12:31

Hi Tobin
Matt A Tobin wrote:Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.0.2 has been released.
Update worked perfectly! Thank you again!

One small detail: would it be possible to update the version information in the palemoon.exe details to match the release version?

I use SUMo (http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo) to manually check for updates for all programs and although I'm using Palemoon 25.0.2 it is reporting that I still have 25.0

Can you fix this?