(Deprecated) Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-11, 17:12

This is all rather moot at the moment since although all but one of my 30+ extensions seem to install OK, many of them don't work, presumably in many cases because of the new GUID. Unless there is a major effort to produce Palemoon versions for the large number of available Firefox extensions, I suspect the incompatibility between PM25 and existing extensions will prove a major disincentive against using PM25.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-11, 18:26

Trinoc wrote:This is all rather moot at the moment since although all but one of my 30+ extensions seem to install OK, many of them don't work, presumably in many cases because of the new GUID. Unless there is a major effort to produce Palemoon versions for the large number of available Firefox extensions, I suspect the incompatibility between PM25 and existing extensions will prove a major disincentive against using PM25.
Please cross-check and report ones we don't know about to: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5883

As for the effort you mentioned.. It is already underway.. Trust me.. I am the one leading it 8-)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-11, 21:16

Davesnothere wrote:Furthermore, strangely, and possibly related, the Portable Atom 32-bit version of the mainstream PM 25 release offers an upgrade to what APPEARS to be 'Pale Moon for Windows XP', but when I try to follow thru, I get an error dialogue.
That was my bad - I forgot to exclude the update check of an already-upgraded Atom version 25 on Win XP from the "exception logic" that is supposed to inform people of the end of XP support when upgrading from an earlier version (instead of serving them a non-working update). This should now be fixed (server-side).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-11, 22:58

Moonchild wrote:
Davesnothere wrote:Furthermore, strangely, and possibly related, the Portable Atom 32-bit version of the mainstream PM 25 release offers an upgrade to what APPEARS to be 'Pale Moon for Windows XP', but when I try to follow thru, I get an error dialogue.
That was my bad - I forgot to exclude the update check of an already-upgraded Atom version 25 on Win XP from the "exception logic" that is supposed to inform people of the end of XP support when upgrading from an earlier version (instead of serving them a non-working update). This should now be fixed (server-side).
Fix is Confirmed.

It now says 'Up to Date'.

Thanks, and BTW, the patched ABP extension seems to work properly too. :)

That one was a biggie for some of us.
Last edited by Davesnothere on 2014-10-11, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-11, 22:59

Off-topic:
Oh don't I know it.. ABE is also up.. stay tuned for more and more to start rolling onto the site..

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-11, 23:03

Here's another tangent....

I know that PM has a page listing the problem extensions as they are discovered, and a forum thread for the same purpose.

Is there a PM site web page (and forum thread) formally listing the ones which HAVE been confirmed to work OK as is ?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-11, 23:10

Off-topic:
Davesnothere wrote:Here's another tangent....

I know that PM has a page listing the problem extensions as they are discovered, and a forum thread for the same purpose.

Is there a PM site web page (and forum thread) formally listing the ones which HAVE been confirmed to work OK as is ?
Not really not yet.. Please redirect discussion of add-ons to the add-ons site board.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-11, 23:15

You mean to HERE ? : viewforum.php?f=42

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-11, 23:34

Davesnothere wrote:You mean to HERE ? : viewforum.php?f=42
viewforum.php?f=44

panos

Unread post by panos » 2014-10-12, 10:01

Thanks Matt!

Skrell

Unread post by Skrell » 2014-10-12, 13:58

Matt A Tobin wrote:Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.0.0 has been released. So get it while it is hot! http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/
Thank you!

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-12, 16:50

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Davesnothere wrote:You mean to HERE ? : viewforum.php?f=42
viewforum.php?f=44
Thank You.

I was one click away.

DSLR forums (where I hang a lot) are structured differently, and you cannot see any threads until you are actually IN the appropriate forum, so I got fooled. :oops:

Davesnothere

Pale Moon for Windows XP vs Atom Build

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-12, 17:04

I hope that this question is sufficiently on-topic. - If not, we could begin a new thread.

I am currently testing the Atom-Optimized 32-bit Portable build of PM 25.0.2 on a PC which has both XP and an Atom CPU.

Will I see optimal performance and functions with THAT build on this PC, or should I be trying the 'Pale Moon for Windows XP' build (in my case 32-bit) which is being offered here ?

My PC seems to meet the system requirements of both editions.

And, will there be any Portable builds released of 'Pale Moon for Windows XP' ?

Thanks.

EDITED to indicate 25.0.2 instead of 25.0 - even though it came out after I originally made this post.
Last edited by Davesnothere on 2014-10-26, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-10-12, 17:47

Davesnothere wrote:
I am currently testing the Atom-Optimized 32-bit Portable build of PM 25 on a PC which has both XP and an Atom CPU.

Will I see optimal performance and functions with THAT build on this PC, or should I be trying the 'Pale Moon for Windows XP' build
I believe you'd get the best performance by what you are currently using.

However, Moonchild & Tobin would be the real experts who'd known, so let's see what they say.

Pedro

Unread post by Pedro » 2014-10-14, 11:19

Matt A Tobin wrote:Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.0.0 has been released. So get it while it is hot! http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/
Thank you for maintaining the XP branch :)

I can understand Moonlight's motives for dropping it, but Windows XP is still the second/third most used desktop OS version worldwide.

Kudos to you, Tobin!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-14, 11:40

Pedro wrote:I can understand Moonlight's motives for dropping it, but Windows XP is still the second/third most used desktop OS version worldwide.
A large percentage of the now 23.87% desktop market share for XP comes from China.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating ... pcustomd=0

In China, XP was easily pirated and secondly, the Chinese government has banned the use of Windows (8/8.1).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 16:41

Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.0.1 has been released.

Pale Moon 25.0.1 Release Notes here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6063

PM4XP Release Notes:
No Additional changes from main-line

You can get it here: http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/ or via the internal software updates (I am so glad I enabled those ;))

Pedro

Unread post by Pedro » 2014-10-15, 16:59

Night Wing wrote: A large percentage of the now 23.87% desktop market share for XP comes from China.
So I have heard. I cannot confirm since the stats by country on the link you provided are for paying users only and that information is not available anywhere in such details (could be Microsoft FUD...)
Nevertheless since China is located on this planet it still counts for the worlwide usage ;)
Matt A Tobin wrote:Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.0.1 has been released.
(snip)
or via the internal software updates (I am so glad I enabled those ;))
I have just updated without a hitch on a XP Pro SP3 x86 machine!

Well done and thank you, Tobin!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 17:04

Some jetpack style add-ons should be automagically fixed by this update as well! Also good to know the internal updater is working outside of my system (you never know :P)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-15, 17:47

Pedro wrote:Nevertheless since China is located on this planet it still counts for the worlwide usage ;)
Yes, China is also the only country in the world accounting for more than 10% IE6 usage. They probably have very little Pale Moon coverage.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite