(Deprecated) Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
New Tobin Paradigm

(Deprecated) Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-05, 18:25

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ

END OF SUPPORT FOR Pale Moon for Windows XP
------------------------------------------------------------

As noted on the Binary Outcast Projects page for Pale Moon for Windows XP, as of July 14, 2015 we will no longer be supporting the PM4XP project.

The reason for this is that the last of the retail available versions of Windows based on the NT 5x kernel will "End of Life" on that date. This means there are no further security updates for Windows Server 2003 (Windows NT 5.2).

With this and the fact that support for Windows XP (Windows NT 5.1) ended a year ago there seems very little point to continuing to produce Main-Line style builds of Pale Moon for an obsolete and unsupported operating system.

However, all is not completely lost for those users as Moonchild Productions will continue to produce an NT 5x compatible build in the form of Pale Moon for Atom indefinitely. This Atom version of the browser is intended for low power processors and does have an optimization bias toward the Atom architecture. However, in practical use this bias has very little impact on non-Atom processors. It also has a few tweaks geared to systems with low resources as well as does not include the web developer tools.

If you are a Windows XP user, Binary Outcast highly recommends switching to the Atom build of the browser to continue getting updates.

On July 14th BinOC will push a final update that will disable the internal updater for PM4XP so that it does not continue to ping our server with requests for an update that will never come. There, however, will not be any other changes in this update.

Binary Outcast wishes thanks to all the Windows XP users for choosing our 3rd party contributed build of Pale Moon.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2015-07-13, 20:02, edited 5 times in total.

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: PM4XP64 to just PM4XP (WinXP 32 and 64 Build possiblity)

Unread post by Trippynet » 2014-10-05, 20:16

I would like to see a general XP x32 release of Pale Moon 25. I still use XP as a dual-booted OS on one of my early generation Mac Minis. I've tried Windows 7 and it just does not run well on the machine (regular freezes, takes 5 minutes to boot, etc), whereas XP runs flawlessly on it. At the moment I'm running PM 24 on there (obviously) and it would be nice for the little machine to continue with a build of PM25 once that arrives.

My original plan was to transition it to the Atom build of Pale Moon, but I'll happily take a proper/full build if one exists, thanks!

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2014-10-05, 23:11

If the Atom build didn't suffice it would be more urgent, but a lower priority now given the other projects you have on your plate.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-05, 23:45

CraigPD wrote:If the Atom build didn't suffice it would be more urgent, but a lower priority now given the other projects you have on your plate.
It isn't that big of a deal building and providing the binaries. While testing takes a little bit of time, it is mostly support that could take up more time.

I am making a few minor modifications like disabling d2d and disabling windows media foundation because XP doesn't have those plus using more appropriate compiler optimizations that are tested and for sure safe for XP (NT5x) that it should run well if not slightly more stable than previous mainline builds as long as it builds successfully.

I have been flip flopping on if i should include Accessibility features so that we have a build that has those but I am not sure if I want to do that in PM4XP for sure or not. Obviously if I do include those I will have to re-enable WMF so if it is ran on an NT6x OS it will be able to take advantage of it. If I at the last moment decided NOT to include Accessibility then I will be making a build specifically for that. Perhaps, just 32bit with an NT5x target to cover the most possibilities.

Anyway, this is what i have devoted today to doing and will complete the work after the main-line is shipped.

As for other projects I have on my plate? Well, PM4XP64 was already a thing and I needed a diversion from looking at php, css, and html so tomorrow I can get back to the add-ons site and not feel so burned out.

ALSO -- The new PM4XP will have update packaging!

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2014-10-06, 20:47

Darn...LOL! One of those things that I wish I knew was going to happen months ago. I would have stayed with XP x64 Edition longer if I knew it would come about. Additionally, I have access to already patched updated for x64 Edition (from Server 2003), so I would have been all set until next summer. :D

Mind you, next year I would have had to go through all of the migarational steps I have now made to Vista, whereas, that's all done now. I can stay put until April 2017.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-06, 21:02

JodyThornton wrote:Darn...LOL! One of those things that I wish I knew was going to happen months ago. I would have stayed with XP x64 Edition longer if I knew it would come about. Additionally, I have access to already patched updated for x64 Edition (from Server 2003), so I would have been all set until next summer. :D

Mind you, next year I would have had to go through all of the migarational steps I have now made to Vista, whereas, that's all done now. I can stay put until April 2017.
I been doing PM4XP64 since 24.6.2 (though not a public build until 24.7.0) this is just the natural extension of it..

mike20021969

Unread post by mike20021969 » 2014-10-08, 18:12

I would definitely love to see PaleMoon 25.0 for Windows XP.
Is it possible you could link me to a test build of yours?
(Source: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5867&p=37360#p37360)

Cheers.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-08, 18:16

mike20021969 wrote:I would definitely love to see PaleMoon 25.0 for Windows XP.
Is it possible you could link me to a test build of yours?
(Source: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5867&p=37360#p37360)

Cheers.
It is currently in internal testing atm and may have some issues that won't be corrected until the final build. Expect the final release in a few days along side with the main-line release.

mike20021969

Unread post by mike20021969 » 2014-10-08, 18:30

Matt A Tobin wrote:Expect the final release in a few days along side with the main-line release.
Excellent. I'll keep an eye out for it.... (on this thread or elsewhere?).

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Pale Moon for Windows XP (32 and 64 bit)

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-10, 21:01

Pale Moon for Windows XP 25.0.0 has been released. So get it while it is hot! http://binaryoutcast.com/software/projects/pm4xp/

McFluffy

Unread post by McFluffy » 2014-10-10, 21:14

Yes, a download link to replace the youtube link would be nice :wtf:

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2014-10-10, 21:26

Link works fine for me! Once again, thanks for this Tobin. It's nice to see both Pale Moon (as a core build) moving forwards in a well defined way, but also a few alternative builds that meet the needs of a few fringe users like myself. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-10, 21:29

McFluffy wrote:Yes, a download link to replace the youtube link would be nice :wtf:
Must have been a caching issue.. I have purged them now so as trippy indicated it must have worked :P

BTW Trippy.. did you get served the update to final from the pre? I had to pull the earlier one due to a last moment settling in issue..

McFluffy

Unread post by McFluffy » 2014-10-10, 21:53

Seems nice and stable.... Good job :thumbup:
Google again default search engine :o
Addblok + incompatible :cry:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-10, 21:57

McFluffy wrote:Seems nice and stable.... Good job :thumbup:
Google again default search engine :o
Addblok + incompatible :cry:
DDG is the default search engine unless it was changed by you at some point. Adblock Plus/Edge continue to function and options are in the add-ons manager. A solution will be forthcoming to restore full functionality on the gui side. This is BEYOND well known and AGAIN please read the release notes and search the forum.

docgwen

Unread post by docgwen » 2014-10-11, 01:32

Big Big Thank You!!!!

I'd actually started using the atom version, but I will now switch to pm4xp! I will continue to use regular PM on unit that has win7, but on my older unit-- I'll try this out.

old_hand

Unread post by old_hand » 2014-10-11, 07:26

Thanks Matt,

I'm still using XP x64 on four PC's and one Laptop, and will continue to use XP x64 for as long as possible, so your XP x64 and XP x32 builds are greatly appreciated as Palemoon is my Browser of choice.

Again, thank you for efforts.

Old Hand.

McFluffy

Unread post by McFluffy » 2014-10-11, 09:35

It works amazingly well :thumbup:
Super score on first attempt to build this xp friendly version.
This is a true release for us who dislike Win7, and feared that PaleMoon had to go...
The language plugin also works troublefree.
The add-on problem will solve itself when the developers soon skip FF and install PM ;)
I don't see any reason to try the atom version, unless you have an atom processor....

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-11, 11:43

Good stuff. Is there any way to graft it into the portable version of Palemoon, of will I have to stick with the portable Atom version?

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2014-10-11, 17:04

Trinoc wrote:Good stuff. Is there any way to graft it into the portable version of Palemoon, of will I have to stick with the portable Atom version?
Even better would be to release Portable Editions of it anyway.

Furthermore, strangely, and possibly related, the Portable Atom 32-bit version of the mainstream PM 25 release offers an upgrade to what APPEARS to be 'Pale Moon for Windows XP', but when I try to follow thru, I get an error dialogue.

Here are screenshots of a post where I already asked about this dialogue encountered in my test :

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29595443-

Am I actually being offered 'Pale Moon for Windows XP' thru the upgrade channel, and will that dialogue be repaired ?
Last edited by Davesnothere on 2014-10-11, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.