AVX 64 bits Build

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
InS4N3

AVX 64 bits Build

Unread post by InS4N3 » 2014-09-25, 19:16

I was wondering if the staff could share with me more details about why this build is being beaned from the Pale Moon official web. I read their forum and I see great reviews. Myself was complaining in that forum about a flash issue, but it was my fault, my anti keylogger was blocking a legit and clean file. So I would like to know why such excellent build is banned.
It runs amazing on my new AVX compatible CPU.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: AVX 64 bits Build

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-26, 08:15

The link was removed because the binaries for AVX are hosted on sites which are red-flagged on reputation (the forum is a haven for pirated software requests and responses, and the download server used is red-flagged for malware hosting), and Pale Moon should not link to such web resources in any official manner.

This doesn't mean the builds are bad, themselves, it means they are hosted in a bad location.
I've tried to contact Accel about this and even offered my own hosting location for it, but received no response.

If Accel doesn't work this out with me, I'll eventually have to remove it as an endorsed build as well, because I cannot endorse people having to go to the "darker side of the web" to get an officially endorsed download, with the risk of malware sideloaded through the websites visited if they go there for download with an insecure/old browser (which I would expect to be the case if it's the first thing people do on a fresh OS install).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

InS4N3

Unread post by InS4N3 » 2014-09-26, 19:17

Moonchild wrote:The link was removed because the binaries for AVX are hosted on sites which are red-flagged on reputation (the forum is a haven for pirated software requests and responses, and the download server used is red-flagged for malware hosting), and Pale Moon should not link to such web resources in any official manner.

This doesn't mean the builds are bad, themselves, it means they are hosted in a bad location.
I've tried to contact Accel about this and even offered my own hosting location for it, but received no response.

If Accel doesn't work this out with me, I'll eventually have to remove it as an endorsed build as well, because I cannot endorse people having to go to the "darker side of the web" to get an officially endorsed download, with the risk of malware sideloaded through the websites visited if they go there for download with an insecure/old browser (which I would expect to be the case if it's the first thing people do on a fresh OS install).
Well, glad to know it's not a issue related to the build itself. I'll try to vote in the forum, since I used that a lot to ask things about the Accel build. I'll see what he says about it.
Even so, I'll check how of "A malware place" is that, because as far as I know, I have seen a lot of legit domain being flagged as malware or infected ones. Antivirus will flagg most uknown domains as insecure, with no a single clue about them anyway.
Thanks for the reply and the info, really appreciate that.

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2014-09-27, 15:38

Can someone tell me what the AVX 64 bit build is (and what it runs on)? I know I can Google, but I enjoy conversation here much better. :)

InS4N3

Unread post by InS4N3 » 2014-09-27, 17:21

JodyThornton wrote:Can someone tell me what the AVX 64 bit build is (and what it runs on)? I know I can Google, but I enjoy conversation here much better. :)
As the name says it, AVX build in this case, Accel build, "the guy who compiles it". It's just another build of Pale Moon x64 bits edition but it has AVX Instruction enabled. It will give you some decent advantages if you run it under a 64 BITS compatible CPU that also is AVX capable. You can check that by running Cpu-Z under instructions. In my case I have a AVX capable CPU and I feel a noticiable difference in some specific web sites. Specially heavy java / flash streaming webs, like twitch.tv.

Accel

Unread post by Accel » 2014-10-09, 00:53

sorry moonchild, I'm a bit busy these days.. haven't got time to caters the internet.

I'll agree for you to host it. I'll give you all the links in PM. thx

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-09, 06:56

Accel wrote:sorry moonchild, I'm a bit busy these days.. haven't got time to caters the internet.

I'll agree for you to host it. I'll give you all the links in PM. thx
No problem. See my PM for details.

People can get the AVX version from here on out from the Pale Moon FTP site:
ftp://AVX:get@ftp.palemoon.org/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

seronx

Unread post by seronx » 2014-11-06, 00:30

Keep it up Accel, the build runs nice.