Customize Pale Moon browser

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
mksharma15
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mksharma15 » 2022-05-10, 12:46

Hi, I am new on Open source technology and I don't know much about it.

My project has dependency of Silverlight but from long time Firefox not supporting it.
So, we were continuing on older Firefox 52.9.0 ESR version. As it
As it is older browser. So it has security issues. I was planning to customize the Firefox version to access only my web application and We will use VPN for secure channel.

But I just got to know Pale Moon browser supports Silverlight. It is great news for us.
We would like to use this browser with some customization. Is it possible to change the theme and Logos etc. Please suggest how to do this.
Also one main concern, Is their any reason to stop supporting Silver Light in future?

Thanks
Manoj

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Customize Pale Moon browser

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-10, 15:23

mksharma15 wrote:
2022-05-10, 12:46
We would like to use this browser with some customization. Is it possible to change the theme and Logos etc. Please suggest how to do this.
The primary way of doing this is re-branding the browser. In the Pale Moon source tree under /palemoon/branding you will find several subdirectories with our branding that you can use as a guideline for creating your own. That includes preferences which allows you to configure the browser, home page, etc.
When you've made your own branding that way, in a new directory, you can point the build system to it by having in your .mozconfig a line pointing to the path of the branding, e.g. for the "unstable" branding, you would use:

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --with-branding=palemoon/branding/unstable
Please be aware that if you want to do more than just give it a different name and alogo, i.e. you want it to use its own profile folder or what not as a dedicated "app", then you have to do a bit more configuration.
mksharma15 wrote:
2022-05-10, 12:46
Also one main concern, Is their any reason to stop supporting Silver Light in future?[/b]
We have no intention to stop supporting NPAPI plugins -- See also our project roadmap.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mksharma15
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mksharma15 » 2022-05-24, 06:26

Thank You so much for update.

We want to use this browser with our product. So, to move forward, I need firstly to convince my client on security point of browser with comparison of other browsers.
I need your help, so that we can say that this browser is fully secured.

Do, we have any white papers published which says Pale Moon is secured browser and what security approach you are following? So that I can update to my client.
As it is healthcare application and we need to maintain HIPPA, so security is most important to us.
Please help me to sort out this.

In order to do rebranding, we only need to change the theme which suits our application and use of our logo.

Once again thanks.
Manoj

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-24, 09:17

mksharma15 wrote:
2022-05-24, 06:26
We want to use this browser with our product. So, to move forward, I need firstly to convince my client on security point of browser with comparison of other browsers.
I need your help, so that we can say that this browser is fully secured.
See release notes and release schedule, as well as the FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23577

If you have specific requirements for your client that go beyond what we can provide (i.e. a full audit) then you're welcome to have the browser source audited by an independent third party.
We won't self-publish papers stating "how secure we are" because Pale Moon, like almost all FOSS, comes without warranty and we explicitly disclaim any warranty or fitness for a particular purpose. If your purpose requires guarantees, then you, as a publisher, will have to provide those guarantees to your client.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mksharma15
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mksharma15 » 2022-06-10, 11:37

Hi MoonChild,

Thanks for responses. I would like to request you to please share your inputs on following points.

1. Is there an extra extension or add on that enhances the security of Pale-moon, which you could recommend ?
2. Does Pale-moon work on Mac ? Is it still supported by the community?
3. Can we do some pre setting for browser like PDF extension, file download location etc.?

Thanks,
Manoj

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-10, 19:45

1. Depends on what security you think needs "enhancing"? The browser itself is perfectly secure out of the box.
  2. We're working on getting Mac builds streamlined again. Nothing official as of yet, but there's "White Star" from the same dev
  3. You can preconfigure and even lock down the browser's settings to preferred values if you need to. Any wanted preferences can be included in your branding very easily.

mksharma15
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mksharma15 » 2022-07-02, 08:30

Hello Pale Moon,

I downloaded the source code from link http://developer.palemoon.org/build/windows/ and followed the steps.
But while I am running script "start-shell-msvc2015" then I am getting blank screen.
Please suggest me how could I proceed further.
Below are my dev environment detail
Windows 10 version 21H2
Visual Studio 2015 Perofessional

Please help me so that I can customize.

Thanks