Continued builds of Basilisk using the latest UXP code

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
andkrau
Moongazer
Moongazer

Continued builds of Basilisk using the latest UXP code

Unread post by andkrau » 2022-05-06, 19:01

These are nightly builds of Basilisk that are built against the master branch of the Unified XUL Platform repository. A new build is triggered as long as there was at least one commit to UXP the previous day.

Branding has been changed due to patches being required to maintain compatibility with UXP. One should consider these builds as alpha quality due to limited testing.

Windows 32-bit and 64-bit builds are included.

The builds are available here: https://nightlizard.libinfo.science

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Continued builds of Basilisk using the latest UXP code

Unread post by Galaxy » 2022-05-07, 02:30

Thanks for sharing! Nicely done, working well for me (Nightlizard-220505-win64). No problems to report.

Just to note, Nightlizard picks up the existing Basilisk profile when it is installed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-07, 08:52

andkrau wrote:
2022-05-06, 19:01
One should consider these builds as alpha quality due to limited testing.
One should consider these alpha builds by the mere fact that they are nightly builds against the master branch. Stuff will break.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andkrau
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andkrau » 2022-05-07, 14:35

Galaxy wrote:
2022-05-07, 02:30
Just to note, Nightlizard picks up the existing Basilisk profile when it is installed.
It does look like changing the branding impacts 'MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME' and not 'MOZ_APP_NAME' (the internal name). This is consistent with nightly builds of Firefox and even Iceweasel releases back in the day. I updated the page to suggest that people should back up their Basilisk profile.

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-07, 08:52
One should consider these alpha builds by the mere fact that they are nightly builds against the master branch. Stuff will break.
Definitely the case. I added a couple sentences to the page to stress that there will be breakage.

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2022-05-07, 15:51

Why not build against release branch of UXP and avoid setting landmines for potential users? Even unstable builds of Pale moon(when they were a thing) wasn't built from arbitrary last commit in master, but afaik only after some being-implemented-feature(s) was complete.

andkrau
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andkrau » 2022-05-07, 16:10

Nuck-TH wrote:
2022-05-07, 15:51
Why not build against release branch of UXP and avoid setting landmines for potential users? Even unstable builds of Pale moon(when they were a thing) wasn't built from arbitrary last commit in master, but afaik only after some being-implemented-feature(s) was complete.
As these are nightly builds, primarily for myself, I am not too interested in doing stable builds that I wouldn't be using. I feel like that would be setting user expectations higher than they should be for these automated builds. When swapping out the Serpent branding, I tried to convey the nightly-ness. I'm certainly open to ideas to get the point across further though.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2022-07-30, 03:17

What technologies are you using for the continuous builds? Would you be interested in working with me to setup something similar for official Basilisk builds?
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

leothetechguy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by leothetechguy » 2022-07-30, 16:24

There are no official Basilisk Builds and making them isn't possible because it was discontinued and nobody was able to take over.
You absolutely have to ask for Permission first if you want to build with official Branding.
Last edited by leothetechguy on 2022-07-30, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2022-07-30, 16:30

leothetechguy wrote:
2022-07-30, 16:24
There are no official Basilisk Builds and making them isn't possible because it was discontinued and nobody was able to take over.

You absolutely have to ask for Permission first if you want to build with official Branding.
I am the owner of the Basilisk project, including the branding. I purchased it from Moonchild. I'm not asking myself for permission to build my own project.

See viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

Also https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Basilisk will redirect to my RPMO account when you follow that link.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

leothetechguy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by leothetechguy » 2022-07-30, 16:34

Sorry I wasn't aware of that

andkrau
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andkrau » 2022-07-31, 23:11

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2022-07-30, 03:17
What technologies are you using for the continuous builds? Would you be interested in working with me to setup something similar for official Basilisk builds?
It is really just a batch file checking if there have been any new commits to the UXP repo. If so, it starts a build. It purges older builds and updates the web page at the end. Sure, I can certainly give it a shot.

I've updated the Nightlizard site to reflect the change in status to the Basilisk project. Builds will now be against the official Basilisk repo instead of my fork. Next to the source code download, the page will have a link to the UXP and Basilisk revision that was used while building.