Modern Pale Moon SSE Build for Linux -Debian 10 Buster

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Modern Pale Moon SSE Build for Linux -Debian 10 Buster

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-05-13, 14:41

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-05-13, 14:34
Even laptops with a 2nd gen processor can use palemoon or basilisk, trust me I have done so before. :0
2nd Gen what?
Intel Pentium?

Intel Core i series?

Athlon 64 and newer is supported and Pentium 4 or newer is supported, Pentium 3 and older isn't, Athlon XP and older also.
This also affects their Celeron/Sempron/Duron brothers.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-13, 14:43

Pentium4User wrote:
2021-05-13, 14:41
WiseWolf wrote:
2021-05-13, 14:34
Even laptops with a 2nd gen processor can use palemoon or basilisk, trust me I have done so before. :0
2nd Gen what?
Intel Pentium?

Intel Core i series?

Athlon 64 and newer is supported and Pentium 4 or newer is supported, Pentium 3 and older isn't, Athlon XP and older also.
This also affects their Celeron/Sempron/Duron brothers.
I meant intel, in general I have used palemoon/basilisk in intel 2nd gen processsors. Thinkpad x200 aka.

Sandybridge aka.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-05-13, 14:55

Intel introduced SSE2 with their Pentium 4 Willamette in 2000, 10 years before Sandy Bridge.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-13, 15:39

Pentium4User wrote:
2021-05-13, 14:55
Intel introduced SSE2 with their Pentium 4 Willamette in 2000, 10 years before Sandy Bridge.
Wow, tis has to be to best example of COMPLETELY missing the target of a conversation. By like, a galaxy.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-05-13, 18:29

Computers and laptops are IPC class 2 devices, 1 is for things like toys and smartphones, while 3 represents aero or medical electronics for example. They are supposed to be built fairly well. Some business or rugged laptops are much more expensive than desktops. Also some consumer laptops can share many components with business ones, and the comparative reliability depends on where the economies are made, a cheap casing and fewer ports and extras won't affect lifespan. When you buy components they often have a MTBF, typically the more expensive ones last longer, but it may not be the case, as you may be paying for the testing that allows a guarantee of reliability too. Back in the 90's laptops were so expensive they could afford to use good quality components.
There should always be some predictable typical lifespan for anything based on the components it is made from and the conditions they operate under, you can find this in datasheets and other component manufacturers literature.
But my real point was old laptops aren't slow because they are old, they probably work as well as ever barring any actual faults, they are slow because the software is no longer optimized for them. For instance new graphics features may be used, and the fallback option may be inefficient, rather than using old graphics features, or perhaps there is no fallback at all. Same with compilers creating binary code.

For all that users can theoretically build their own SSE version, anyone finding themselves in need of one probably wouldn't be able to on the target hardware, so I think this sounds a nice thing to have available if it reaches completion.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

RandLin
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by RandLin » 2021-05-13, 19:51

Lunokhod wrote:
2021-05-13, 00:06
Earlier this year using a P3 I found that Firefox ESR 45 (I think the last version to support P3) worked better on more sites than the last available Pale Moon SSE build, which was newer.
Off-topic:
Mozilla Firefox 78.10.0esr (it's Debian's default browser) still works for me on my Athlon XP (even less than a Pentium 3; FF just too slow) using Debian 10's build. Epiphany-browser (GNOME Web) works too and is a little faster. if your looking for a good operating system for a non-SSE2 PC, I recommend Debian. Also they are not dropping 32bit for a long time (unlike Ubuntu). Linux Mint has a version based on Debian, but it uses the heavy Cinnamon desktop by default (you can install the XFCE desktop easily, so it will work with some fuss).
Image (Why can't I stop walking??)

Fenyo

Unread post by Fenyo » 2021-10-08, 13:17

Moderator note: these binaries are unreviewed and untested. Exercise caution.

Firefox-esr (any higher than 52.9) on SSE only cpus (like Athlon Xp os K7 Sempron) is not so stable under Debian, crashing some site (like Youtube or xfce-look.org) because of illegal instrucions, so i've build newer Palemoon with SSE on Debian 9 (which is also work on Debian 10 too) which is stable on any site, i uploaded here.

Fenyo

Unread post by Fenyo » 2021-10-09, 14:47

Here are some encouraging screenshots;
pm2817sse.png
pm2941sse.png
basilisksse.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-09, 21:17

I don't know why you are distributing ad-hoc branded Pale Moon 32bit linux builds for old ass processors we don't support. Or why you would come here to shove em in everyone's face and glory-whore around before even talking to us.

As for Basilisk, you are totally not allowed to distribute branded builds without express permission. Please remove it at once.

Fenyo

Unread post by Fenyo » 2021-10-10, 08:08

Obviously whoever uses it is at their own risk, aware that it is not an official build, no one uses such a processor machine as a main machine anyway, but an up to date browser can come in handy, I just wanted to help these guys, but of course I will delete everything if it's not welcome here, in fact I would ask a moderator to delete my posts.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-10, 08:20

Fenyo wrote:
2021-10-10, 08:08
I will delete everything if it's not welcome here, in fact I would ask a moderator to delete my posts.
Just be aware that unlike Pale Moon, Basilisk does not have branding exceptions and you can't use --enable-official-branding on it in any way for binaries you want to distribute (not without my express permission, anyway). It's not just "not welcome here" it's simply not allowed under trademark law, period. We make clear statements about using the official-branding flag for good reason, and it was an error not at least investigating whether you could use it before building and offering the binaries to others.
So if you remove the Basilisk one from you mega share and rebuild it without official branding (using the included "Serpent" branding, for example) it's fine.

I installed Debian 11 i386 in a VM to test your Pale Moon 29.4.1 build and it looks fine to me otherwise as regards build configuration. I hope it's useful for at least someone still running Athlon XP processors (although the usability of such an ancient CPU for rendering modern websites is likely going to be extremely limited), but clearly any support requests for your builds will have to be addressed by you, not us -- please make that clear when you distribute these.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-10, 10:22

Be warned: In the future it may not be possible to compile 32bit linux OR sse-only builds. Either by official branding policy or technical limitations of continued development.

Fenyo

Unread post by Fenyo » 2021-10-10, 15:46

Ok, understood, a have to --disable-official-branding in mozconfig, but where could I add new name?
A beefy Athlon Xp setup (with enough ram and vga card with good Linux drivers) is more suitable for basic browsing then a P4 Celeron with lower ram and/or phatetic vga card (like Via or Sis integrated chipsets) which has SSE2 so theoretically enough for minimum requirement.
Debian 11 is maybe the last distro with 32 bit support even without SSE2 requirement, however 12 probably drop 32 support, so 32 bit build would be great until Debian 11 EOL, however Firefox-esr partiailly work on nonsse2 cpu, so maybe rebuildable too.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-10-10, 16:28

@Randlin

Your machine sounds like a good candidate for a puppy distro which is designed for the older hardware..I would suggest fossapup64 or focal fossa which are debian based or dpup buster or stretch.

Palemoon runs superbly on fossapup puppy.

I am just making a suggestion which may help you in the long run rather than falling into issues like you are at the moment.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-10, 21:50

Moonraker wrote:
2021-10-10, 16:28
Your machine sounds like a good candidate for a puppy distro
His machine sounds like a good candidate for the scrap heap maybe. I just love how all these gnufags are totally willing to just take and whore out some alt build they created without any regard to licensing or trademarks like they own it.