Pale Moon for illumos-based systems.

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Pale Moon for illumos-based systems.

Unread post by athenian200 » 2020-06-21, 10:25

In response to someone's request on GitHub: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... -645530529

I've created a 64-bit 28.10.0 build that uses GTK3. I would recommend when using this that you change your desktop theme to something like Menta because it looks better than the default theme.

The configuration is basically stock, with devtools and all the options you would expect, except the automatic updater doesn't work. If you find any problems with it, let me know, so far it's only been tested by myself and while I've gotten it to a point where it works as a stable daily driver for me, there could always be issues I haven't run into. Note that you'll only be getting support from me if you use this build, for the practical reason that I'm pretty much only one using OpenIndiana or illumos in general right now.

OneDrive link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsscXELhr-eyh58mMun ... Q?e=raiePq

I figured this would be a better place to post than the GitHub thread. I may do a couple more builds (at least an Oracle Solaris one, and possibly a 32-bit one for old plugins) if this one meets with approval.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

gh_origin

Re: Pale Moon for illumos-based systems.

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-01, 18:31

Thank you. Is your build 64 bit or 32 bit? Could you provided both the 64 bit and 32 bit builds?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2020-07-01, 22:49

gh_origin wrote:
2020-07-01, 18:31
Thank you. Is your build 64 bit or 32 bit? Could you provided both the 64 bit and 32 bit builds?
The one I have up now is 64-bit. I was planning on waiting to see how everything goes with this build before I start making more builds. Do you want/need a 32-bit build for Flash Player or something? I can make them, I'm just hesitant to start cranking out builds because I was originally planning to do SunOS releases with PM29, and the only place I really have to host them right now is my OneDrive account. I don't actually know how much bandwidth I'm allowed to use on that, though I do pay $10 a month for it so I would hope that it's a decent amount.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

gh_origin

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-02, 06:06

athenian200 wrote:
2020-07-01, 22:49
gh_origin wrote:
2020-07-01, 18:31
The one I have up now is 64-bit. I was planning on waiting to see how everything goes with this build before I start making more builds. Do you want/need a 32-bit build for Flash Player or something? I can make them, I'm just hesitant to start cranking out builds because I was originally planning to do SunOS releases with PM29, and the only place I really have to host them right now is my OneDrive account. I don't actually know how much bandwidth I'm allowed to use on that, though I do pay $10 a month for it so I would hope that it's a decent amount.
Hi. I asked for the 32 bit build because I saw you commented on github that the 64 bit build has some issues. The Illumos kernel has abandoned support for 32 bit for a long time but they still support running 32 bit binary on the userland. As I think 32 bit will consume less memory than 64 bit, it's ideal for people running Illumos under VirtualBox like me, too. Don't know if this is correct, though.

As Pale Moon is a FOSS project, I think you should create a sourceforge or fosshub account and hosting your builds there. I think they provide unlimited bandwidth for free. I have never tried myself, though. I just saw many FOSS projects used these services to host their builds, e.g: CudaText, CodeBlocks,...

gh_origin

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-02, 06:19

Did you did your build on the latest OpenIndiana? On their latest release, they have switched from the proprietary libdemangle to libdemangle-sys.

On my first run of palemoon, it failed because it doesn't found libdemangle.so.1. I applied this workaround and it could run:

ln -s /usr/lib/64/libdemangle-sys.so.1 /usr/lib/64/libdemangle.so.1

As I used to build Pale Moon on OpenIndiana, too, but I have never had this issue. So I think you did the build on an older release of it or on your build machine you did created this symlink above without remembering it. I'm more in favor with the later, since if it's the proprietary libdemangle, it will not be fixed that easy with just a symlink.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2020-07-02, 06:39

The issues with the 64-bit build I was talking about were fixed, actually.
gh_origin wrote:
2020-07-02, 06:19
Did you did your build on the latest OpenIndiana? On their latest release, they have switched from the proprietary libdemangle to libdemangle-sys.

On my first run of palemoon, it failed because it doesn't found libdemangle.so.1. I applied this workaround and it could run:

ln -s /usr/lib/64/libdemangle-sys.so.1 /usr/lib/64/libdemangle.so.1

As I used to build Pale Moon on OpenIndiana, too, but I have never had this issue. So I think you did the build on an older release of it or on your build machine you did created this symlink above without remembering it. I'm more in favor with the later, since if it's the proprietary libdemangle, it will not be fixed that easy with just a symlink.
I am using the latest version of OI. It looks like you need to install the system/library/c++/sunpro package in order to run it (at least for this test).

The problem is that I think the last version of Flash Player available for OI requires the binary to be linked against the older demangle libraries I believe, and I'm also targeting Oracle Solaris where demangle-sys obviously wouldn't be available. The configuration I have right now builds on both. So I am actually installing the sunpro libc to get that library because a lot of plugins won't work without it. This is something I wouldn't think about because I always install those libraries on my development machine, I'm not just creating a random symlink. What you did there really shouldn't have worked...

I'm not terribly comfortable with using a library that's only available on OI, at least not until we have some kind of flag in the build system that does a test for the difference between Oracle Solaris and illumos. Do other illumos distributions use demangle-sys now, too? That's one of the reasons why we're not officially releasing the version yet. Right now I believe it's just XP_SOLARIS for everything, and that won't cut it apparently if they're going to make everything that depends on libdemangle broken on OI. :(

I will fix this issue as soon as I figure that part out, though. I'd like to be able to support Flash Player, but not if it means people have to install additional libraries to make it work... hmm... I suppose I could just leave demangle in the 32-bit builds and offer those builds exclusively for people who want Flash, and just use demangle-sys for the 64-bit version. At least on illumos.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-02, 09:25

athenian200 wrote:
2020-07-01, 22:49
the only place I really have to host them right now is my OneDrive account. I don't actually know how much bandwidth I'm allowed to use on that
I can easily provide you with an unmetered FTP account. Send me a PM.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gh_origin

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-02, 13:55

You could test for the Illumos/Solaris system you are currently running on with this guide: https://gist.github.com/natefoo/7af6f3d47bb008669467

I agreed with your solution. The 32 bit build would use libdemangle from sunpro and the 64 bit build would use libdemangle-sys.