Basilisk for Raspberry Pi

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
dimag0g

Basilisk for Raspberry Pi

Unread post by dimag0g » 2019-10-06, 19:59

Hi,

I'm the person who used to provide Pale Moon Raspberry Pi builds back in 2015, which I later stopped due to a lack of interest.
I would like to resume this activity, and I'm considering making builds of Basilisk this time.

I wonder if it's a good idea or whether Pale Moon would be a better candidate for such a release.

My plan is to post binary releases on my github page. Would that be OK, or would you prefer to have them as downloads on your site?

I'd like to use the official branding if I'm permitted to do so.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Basilisk for Raspberry Pi

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-06, 23:52

The issue is with Basilisk is that the EME CDM won't have an arm linux version afaik so one of Basilisk's selling points won't be possible. So Pale Moon might be a better option.. PLUS all your old users could come back.

dimag0g

Unread post by dimag0g » 2019-10-07, 19:56

Good point. Do you know how changes to master end up in PaleMoon_release branch? Assuming that similar changes will be needed to get Pale Moon to build on ARM, would it be wise to re-apply the ARM fixes to PaleMoon_release branch in my repo, or is it better to wait when they are merged to PaleMoon_release in the main repo?

dimag0g

Unread post by dimag0g » 2019-10-23, 18:07

Can I have an update on this? Shall I release Pale Moon with the official branding, or as "New Moon"?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-23, 21:40

I do know. Can you give me a reason why I need to go into detail about it on any aspects that aren't obvious?

In any event, you need to talk to Moonchild about reacquiring permission to use official branding for alternate target architectures. You must also only build from tagged Pale Moon releases not JUST the release branch when doing "releases".

dimag0g

Unread post by dimag0g » 2019-10-30, 07:27

Hi Tobin,

I didn't expect you to go into details (thanks for the reminder about tagged releases though). I intended this post for Moonchild's eyes. On a second thought, I should have probably used PM. I'm writing one to him now.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-30, 15:49

Btw, I was being incredibly lazy that day.

Bobert
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Bobert » 2019-10-30, 22:40

What is the proper way to build pale moon from the github page? I'm unfamiliar with building from source, so maybe you could point me to some instructions?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-31, 04:10

Bobert wrote:
2019-10-30, 22:40
What is the proper way to build pale moon from the github page? I'm unfamiliar with building from source, so maybe you could point me to some instructions?
The first thing you have to do is install git, the archive tarballs are no longer an option. I'm assuming you want to build it on Linux, since that's what most people run on Raspberry Pi? You may have to ask your Linux distribution maintainers what the right packager command is to install git, but they should have it in their package repositories. Usually it's something like apt-get install git, but here's a more complete list: https://git-scm.com/download/linux

After downloading and installing git, run this command in a terminal window, in some directory you have write access to (like your home directory):

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP.git
And then:

Code: Select all

cd UXP
After that, the following directions should be enough to get you where you need to go. If they don't tell you how to get all the dependencies for your distribution, just show the list they have for RHEL and Fedora to someone familiar with your distribution who can tell you how to install the equivalent packages with whatever package manager you use. You could, of course, compile PM's dependencies from source if your distribution is missing any of these packages, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

https://developer.palemoon.org/Develope ... Moon/Linux

Building Basilisk can be done from the same source code, but you'll need a different .mozconfig to pull it off. I think you might have to adapt these Windows instructions (all I could seem to find, might be out of date):

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17535

To Linux, which shouldn't be too hard if you keep in mind that Pale Moon and Basilisk are different applications built on the same UXP platform, and take basically the same type of configuration options.

I would personally start off figuring out what I need to do with my .mozconfig to build Pale Moon to make sure that works first, and then look at that post to try and figure out what different options I needed for Basilisk while taking care not to add in anything Windows-specific. If you're on ARM, you may also have trouble getting the Basilisk DRM components to work properly, so plan to invest a lot of time in finding a workaround for that (probably will involve carefully adapting something from Android or ChromeOS to ARM Linux).

Good luck!
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-31, 05:43

We also have a development wiki that is little known/little used.
https://developer.palemoon.org/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dimag0g

Unread post by dimag0g » 2019-11-12, 21:57

One more question: I have submitted a couple of PRs to the master branch. These changes are also relevant for Pale Moon.
Could someone explain me how/when these changes will make it to Pale_Moon-release branch? Should I ask someone to do it, or do something myself, or simply wait?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-12, 23:59

Unless what was committed is urgently needed in a (point) release, it won't be uplifted until the next regular development release (currently 28.8.0).
Close to release builds, master will be merged into the release branch at a stable point, from which specific application release branches are updated.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2020-02-14, 12:02

@dimag0g if your plan is to upload only releases, I think it is better to provide the specific releases page
https://github.com/dimag0g/UXP/releases
BTW I will try it as soon as I have some time to play with my Raspbian-Rpi ;)
dimag0g wrote:
2019-10-06, 19:59
Hi,

I'm the person who used to provide Pale Moon Raspberry Pi builds back in 2015, which I later stopped due to a lack of interest.
I would like to resume this activity, and I'm considering making builds of Basilisk this time.

I wonder if it's a good idea or whether Pale Moon would be a better candidate for such a release.

My plan is to post binary releases on my github page. Would that be OK, or would you prefer to have them as downloads on your site?

I'd like to use the official branding if I'm permitted to do so.