Slackware64-14.2 binary

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.

Moderator: satrow

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2016-12-07, 10:31

I would like to submit this as a third party contributed build. Assuming this is acceptable I'll submit a 32 bit version. I'm submitting this build, because, I was having issues on Slackware with the official binary but I've not had any issues since I began compiling Pale Moon from source. I would like for other Slackware users to benefit. My intention was to keep the build as close to the official binary as possible.

The binary I would like reviewed and subsequently accepted as a contributed third party build can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2isdbc3bhwx65 ... r.bz2?dl=0

A copy of the script I used to compile this binary can be found here: https://notabug.org/khronosschoty/SlackBuilds/src/master/PaleMoon

balloon
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 59
Joined: 2016-01-27, 09:34

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by balloon » 2016-12-07, 11:08

Hi khronosschoty,

Do you know this place?:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=13911

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2016-12-07, 11:11

balloon wrote:Hi khronosschoty,

Do you know this place?:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=13911
I know of their existence, yes; cannot say I'm too acquainted with them, however.
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24834
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-07, 13:57

Maybe you can join forces to come to a single slackware variant to reduce confusion for users as to what is "official" for slackware?
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2016-12-07, 15:15

Moonchild wrote:Maybe you can join forces to come to a single slackware variant to reduce confusion for users as to what is "official" for slackware?
I have no issues with that. I do wonder why they have "mozilla-nss" listed as a dependency, when unless I've misunderstood something, the default is to have Pale Moon compile that internally? Also, this "Salix" build scripts break the common Slackware format. Salix is its own distro, that is based on Slackware; they are not, as far as I understand it, really the same thing.

So, I guess what I am wondering is (even tho I have no issues with this suggestion per se), how come Salix cannot have its own contributed build and Slackware have its own; since in every other circumstance that I know of, that is how it is.
Image

balloon
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 59
Joined: 2016-01-27, 09:34

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by balloon » 2016-12-08, 06:02

You are misunderstanding and I will need to explain it.
The build pointed out uses a Salix server, which is "not" provided by Salix.
He is a developer of Slackel and is building to work with Slackel.
(note: Slackel is based on -current)
That build is available as it can be used with Salix and Slackware.

Your active support is welcome. :)
If you release it in the community where the Slackware user resides, this build will get better situation.

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2016-12-08, 06:21

balloon wrote:You are misunderstanding and I will need to explain it.
The build pointed out uses a Salix server, which is "not" provided by Salix.
He is a developer of Slackel and is building to work with Slackel.
(note: Slackel is based on -current)
That build is available as it can be used with Salix and Slackware.

Your active support is welcome. :)
If you release it in the community where the Slackware user resides, this build will get better situation.
I see, that makes more sense. Is there anyway we can get a copy of the script used to compile Pale Moon, or is this just repackaging the official Pale Moon Linux binary? The scripts you linked too, only has a script to repackage a tar archive (which I'm guessing is the official Pale Moon Linux tar archive).
Image

balloon
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 59
Joined: 2016-01-27, 09:34

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by balloon » 2016-12-08, 09:36

Please ask the distributor. I am not a distributor.

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2016-12-09, 08:16

I jumped the gun with this submission. I found out that I did not have h.264 enabled correctly. I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to get h.264 working properly, but, now I think I have it. I just want to make sure I fully understand what the minimum requirements are for the full h.264 capabilities of Pale Moon. Although, I'm fairly sure I understand all the requirements now, I just want to double check, and make sure. Once I'm as sure as I can be, I will make anther submission.

Any help or suggestions, on where to turn for information that will help me with this, would be appreciated.

Edit: I thought it might be useful to know that on learning of this issue with my last build, my latest builds of Pale Moon have h.264 html 5 video running nicely.
Image

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2017-05-03, 03:19

Hi, I finally found a method (I can be happy with) of producing what I believe to be complaint Pale Moon packages for Slackware. I am hoping someone will take a look at this package and approve it as a contributed third party build.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8n2bu2tshtet ... -1_SBo.tgz

the package can be downloaded from drop box.
Image

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 609
Joined: 2015-07-30, 20:29
Location: Vaughan, ON, Canada

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-05-03, 05:31

khronosschoty wrote:Hi, I finally found a method (I can be happy with) of producing what I believe to be complaint Pale Moon packages for Slackware. I am hoping someone will take a look at this package and approve it as a contributed third party build.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8n2bu2tshtet ... -1_SBo.tgz

the package can be downloaded from drop box.
I had to get approval for my build, so I'm somewhat familiar with the process. It would speed things up if you could open up "about:buildconfig" and copy+paste the contents thereof into a post.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2017-05-03, 14:20

Walter Dnes wrote:
khronosschoty wrote:Hi, I finally found a method (I can be happy with) of producing what I believe to be complaint Pale Moon packages for Slackware. I am hoping someone will take a look at this package and approve it as a contributed third party build.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8n2bu2tshtet ... -1_SBo.tgz

the package can be downloaded from drop box.
I had to get approval for my build, so I'm somewhat familiar with the process. It would speed things up if you could open up "about:buildconfig" and copy+paste the contents thereof into a post.

about:buildconfig
Build Machine

darkstar
Build platform
target
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Build tools
Compiler Version Compiler flags
/usr/bin/gcc-4.9.4 4.9.4 -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wpointer-to-int-cast -Wsign-compare -Wtype-limits -Wno-unused -Wcast-align -O2 -fPIC -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -fno-strict-aliasing -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-math-errno -pthread -pipe
/usr/bin/g++-4.9.4 4.9.4 -Wall -Wempty-body -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign-compare -Wwrite-strings -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wcast-align -O2 -fPIC -fno-exceptions -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-rtti -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions -fno-math-errno -std=gnu++0x -pthread -pipe -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer
Configure arguments

--enable-official-branding --enable-application=browser --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 --disable-installer --disable-updater --disable-tests --disable-mochitests --enable-jemalloc --with-pthreads --enable-devtools --enable-strip --disable-debug --disable-debug-symbols --enable-release --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib64/palemoon-27.3.0 --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/man '--enable-optimize=-O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse' --disable-pulseaudio


thank you
Image

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 609
Joined: 2015-07-30, 20:29
Location: Vaughan, ON, Canada

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-05-04, 09:34

If Travis (userID "trava90") doesn't show up in this thread, PM him directly for final confirmation. He's in charge of this. One thing that I see. which is problematic, is "--disable-pulseaudio". I'm not happy with what Poettering has done to linux, but disabling pulseaudio in a build is similar to disabling alsa. It should be the user's decision what they use. Not disabling pulseaudio won't require extra libraries on the user's machine.

I also build with "--disable-necko-wifi". This is for user privacy, and Pale Moon doesn't have a licence to Googles wifi database anyway.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24834
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-04, 10:58

Important note: I was recently contacted by alienBOB directly, who is a major contributor to Slackware distribution and core packages. He is planning to make a slackbuild with official branding to include on official ISOs, so there may be some double work going on here. Could you coordinate if you have contacting info?
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2017-05-04, 13:24

Moonchild wrote:Important note: I was recently contacted by alienBOB directly, who is a major contributor to Slackware distribution and core packages. He is planning to make a slackbuild with official branding to include on official ISOs, so there may be some double work going on here. Could you coordinate if you have contacting info?
Is it okay to have two contributed builds?I am aiming to follow the pale moon guidelines; like gcc 4.9.4. Alienbob is not planning to include pale moon on official iso's as far as I know... he just will add them to his own repo. (Which is not core Slackware)

But we have discussed things like if gcc 4.9.4 series is important, Alienbob for example plans to keep using stock unchanged gcc that ships with Slackware 14.2.
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24834
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-04, 13:34

It's fine to have both. Just thinking for slackware users it's going to be less confusing if there is one.
As long as people stick to the official branding guidelines (binary redist) and make sure the resulting binaries are above all stable and not reconfigured otherwise (as is normal for Slackware packages as far as I understood) then it's all good with me. Above all it's important that the distributed packages give a good impression of Pale Moon as-intended, i.e.: highly usable and stable.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 34
Joined: 2016-11-23, 10:37

Re: Slackware64-14.2 binary

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2017-05-04, 13:37

Moonchild wrote:It's fine to have both. Just thinking for slackware users it's going to be less confusing if there is one.
As long as people stick to the official branding guidelines (binary redist) and make sure the resulting binaries are above all stable and not reconfigured otherwise (as is normal for Slackware packages as far as I understood) then it's all good with me. Above all it's important that the distributed packages give a good impression of Pale Moon as-intended, i.e.: highly usable and stable.
Slackware users are used to having options like this.
Image

Locked