Pale Moon SSE for Linux

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Pale Moon SSE for Linux

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-02, 21:30

Version 27.8.0 tarball is available for downloading. Pale Moon has been updated to v27.8.0, a major development update with new and improved functionality and some bugfixes.

Release notes: http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.8.0SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-03, 15:21

I installed palemoon-27.8.0SSE but the problems remains. That is the browser closes with the message "Ilegal instruction".

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-03, 15:32

2 possibilities...
  1. Do you have at least a Pentium3/equivalant or higher cpu? Please post the output of
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
  2. Do you have Adobe-Flash installed on a Pentium3/equivalant? Adobe-Flash for linux uses the SSE2 instruction set which requires at least a Pentium4/equivalant. If so, uninstall Flash.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-03, 15:45

Code: Select all

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 11
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU      1000MHz
stepping	: 1
microcode	: 0x1d
cpu MHz		: 733.000
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 1
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fdiv_bug	: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse retpoline
bugs		: cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2
bogomips	: 1460.98
clflush size	: 32
cache_alignment	: 32
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:
Yes! I purged flash and now the browser seems OK - Do you know if there are any old versions of flash without SSE2?

Thanks a lot.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-03, 16:18

danielsender wrote:Yes! I purged flash and now the browser seems OK - Do you know if there are any old versions of flash without SSE2?
Please, don't even think about it. The Adobe-Flash requirement for SSE2 dates back to at least version 11.2.202.228 in the spring of 2012. https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FP-3161034 A 6-month-old Flash is full of security bugs waiting to bite you. A 6-year-old Flash defies description, not to mention the fact that many web sites will reject it for being too old. Does your distro have "gnash" or "spark" (open source Flash equivalants)? They may not be perfect, but they're your best bet. Actually, you may be surprised how many websites support HTML5 nowadays.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-03, 19:19

I installed the gnash plugin that also installed the dependencies. After I opened palemoon going to www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome that is supposed to be a testing place for flash but I get on their page a message saying "A plugin is needed to display this content". Is there any configuration I have to do to make gnash be used within palemoon?

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-03, 19:37

Forget my question. Apparently adobe is checking for the actual flash plugin, probably an alternative such as gnash is not considered a valid plugin. I went to other testing sites and some work well and others not so good. But as you say now almost everybody is going to html5, so I guess flash is going to die soon.

Thanks again.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-04, 00:25

danielsender wrote:But as you say now almost everybody is going to html5, so I guess flash is going to die soon.
Adobe is planning to remove support by the end of 2020 https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/25/16026236/adobe-flash-end-of-support-2020
Adobe is finally planning to kill off Flash once and for all. Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Safari have all been blocking Flash over the past year, but Adobe is now planning to remove support for it fully by the end of 2020. “We will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats,” explains an Adobe spokesperson.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-05, 18:43

So far very nice - with an old pentium III and only 512M ram I can do decent browsing.

Thank you very much

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-06, 20:36

Version 27.8.1 tarball is available for downloading.
This is a small update to address some breaking issues introduced in the previous release.

Please read the full release notes at: http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.8.1SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-07, 07:38

I was browsing the add-ons, more specifically those for Firefox, and when I attempted to install Adblock, the browser told me that I need Firefox v. 52 and I have v. 27 - Can I install it anyway?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-03-07, 19:01

danielsender wrote:I was browsing the add-ons, more specifically those for Firefox, and when I attempted to install Adblock, the browser told me that I need Firefox v. 52 and I have v. 27 - Can I install it anyway?

If you're speaking of Adblock Plus...
No you can't. ABP isn't compatible with Pale Moon.
However there are a couple of ABP forks made specifically for Pale Moon, Adblock Latitude and ABPrime.

In addition, uBlock Origin (the xul/"legacy" release) works well with Pale Moon.
It can be installed from uBO's GitHub repository (releases). The xul/"legacy" installer looks like this: uBlock0.firefox.xpi.

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-08, 20:35

I installed ublock but it pretty much freezes my SSE system - I had to disable it.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-09, 01:04

danielsender wrote:I installed ublock but it pretty much freezes my SSE system - I had to disable it.
I suggest going with one of the two Pale Moon specific add-ons that user coffeebreak pointed to.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-09, 06:04

I followed user coffebreak instructions on how to get Ublock - It makes the browser hang for ever.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-03-09, 16:47

danielsender wrote:I installed ublock but it pretty much freezes my SSE system - I had to disable it.

I myself am a Windows user, it limits my ability to help with this.

Speaking in general, quite a few Linux users do use uBO with Pale Moon - I wasn't aware that uBO might not function properly with this version of PM. As @Walter Dnes suggested, please try one of the Pale Moon specific ABP forks.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-03-09, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-10, 01:06

It seems that Adblock Latitude is working OK with this version of PM. I ran some experiments with Ublock on a faster 64b machine and it conflicts with some page designs, I'm not familiar how those pages are built, but I can see that if I disable Ublock then those pages load properly.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-03-10, 03:26

danielsender wrote:It seems that Adblock Latitude is working OK with this version of PM.
Good.

Off-topic:
danielsender wrote:I ran some experiments with Ublock on a faster 64b machine and it conflicts with some page designs, I'm not familiar how those pages are built, but I can see that if I disable Ublock then those pages load properly.

Sounds like uBO was blocking something used by those pages. This can usually be mitigated (by whitelisting, creating exception rules, etc.).

If you plan to continue with uBO on your faster machine, please check out the documentation.
I can testify here...I found the wiki enormously helpful for learning to use uBO more effectively.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-03-10, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-23, 04:50

Version 27.8.2 tarball is available for downloading.
This is a security update. Please read the full release notes at: http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.8.2SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-03-29, 04:13

Version 27.8.3 tarball is available for downloading. This is a small update to solve a rather pervasive crash issue caused by layout code used for "responsive webpages". Please read the full release notes at: http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.8.3SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way