Pale Moon SSE for Linux

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Pale Moon SSE for Linux

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-17, 15:28

How about you just stop giving bad advice like you understand what you are doing. This has been going on for years now. It must stop.

You are a danger to your self and everyone around you who doesn't yet know any better.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-17, 18:26

trava90 wrote:This is not a solution and should not be recommended. WebM support in Pale Moon has some known issues, and disabling async MSE may help with YouTube but it will break other sites.

There are reasons as to why the defaults are set the way they are.
Thanks to Google/Youtube screwing around in the past couple of weeks, the only way for users of Lucid Puppy to get Youtube in other resolutions than 360p is to "Enable MSE for WebM video". This requires disabling "Use MSE asynchronously". Further testing shows the "Enable MSE for MP4 video" setting is optional.
  • disabling async MSE may help with YouTube but it will break other sites
  • enabling async MSE may help with other sites but it will break YouTube
This dilemma is solvable. Lucid Puppy users can eat their cake and have it too, by creating a separate profile for Youtube. This way both Youtube and "other sites" can run under their optimal settings.

Lucid Puppy users should not have to jump through flaming hoops to watch Youtube, but Google/Youtube forced this. I really wish this wasn't necessary. But it's either tell some people to do this or tell them to go back to SeaMonkey/Firefox.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-17, 20:07

"This is not a solution and should not be recommended. WebM support in Pale Moon has some known issues, and disabling async MSE may help with YouTube but it will break other sites."

I found a July github discussion where Trav90 states that WebM is being worked on for the next version. Maybe it is fixed now? What other sites will using WebM break? Give me examples to test.

Walter's solution works for me (restart Pale Moon after changing the settings) in Lucid Puppy 2016 and also Wary Puppy (2013). Tahr Puppy does not need the settings changed (and it also works with smtube 18.1). WebM and MP4 both use 65-72% of CPU at 360p.

I can now play 480p with WebM on a 2004 1.6GHz HP dv5000 (95% cpu) and a 2003 1.4GHz Gateway ARC-200 (70% cpu) where smtube only offered 720p (joften jerky) or 360p. And 240p on laptops too slow for 360p, with 512MB RAM. (I provide them to neighborhood kids, originally with gtk-youtube-player, which Youtube also managed to break). The newer puppy linuxes want more memory.

Thanks very much for this imperfect solution.

I could not find instructions to set up profiles in Pale Moon and the Firefox instructions did not work. Help for Pale Moon only explained that you cannot import Firefox profiles to Pale Moon. If Profiles means having to exit Pale Moon and start again, it will not work for my dyslexic partner, who insists on using one browser (without profiles) for everything . I finally got him switched from Mac Safari (when it got Xfiniity virus) to Lucid Puppy Pale Moon. Tahr Puppy will not suspend to RAM on his favorite 2005 laptop. (Nor will anything post-Lucid-Puppy even work on at least two 2004-2007 laptops due to video problems).

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-17, 20:24

WebM turned out to be much more complex than anticipated, and is still in the same state it was in July. I can't provide you any specific websites to test WebM on as I have not had WebM enabled for a very long time. But I do know that there are issues with it. Again, it is disabled by default for a reason.

Also, for the record as I understand it this particular issue we are discussing (YouTube at 360p) is due to Puppy using such an old libavcodec package - as such it is not a Pale Moon problem. The proper solution is to update your libavcodec package.

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-17, 22:25

Lucid Puppy 2016 and Wary Puppy (2013) use libavcodec 53, which displays only 360p now.
Tahr Puppy (2014) has libavcodec 54, which I could not make work in the two older puppies (missing dependencies). It displays all resolutions.
I have no idea how to update libavcodec other than changing to a newer Puppy linux. I don't know how to compile it myself and the author of Lupu 2016 (rerwin) is not interested.

So to get more resolutions I can use WebM with Pale Moon or:
1) download video (with browser add-on, or youtube-dl in lucid puppy), play with mplayer - uses less CPU than WebM so 720p is usable.
2) switch to later Tahr Puppy (on computers with usable video and enough RAM) and use Pale Moon or smtube 18.1.
3) watch with Firefox (on computers with enough RAM)
4) droid x with hdmi to dvi adaptor, watch on LCD monitor with vidmate or tubemate

The WebM solution works on more hardware and is simple. If it messes up some other video site, change back to MP4 only for that site.
Thanks again Walter - for Pale Moon that works with Puppy linux, and for the quick, albeit illegal, fix.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-18, 20:04

Version 27.7.1 is available for downloading. This is a small emergency update to Pale Moon 27.7.0 to address website breakages as a result of an incomplete addition of a new feature in JavaScript. Release notes for this version can be found on http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.7.1SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-19, 01:17

Looking for sites that would 'break' if I change the MSE settings to get all the resolutions at Youtube using Palemoon in Lucid Puppy Linux,
I tried viewing Dailymotion. Must allow cookie (dailymotion.com).
'Blop. Update your browser or try a different one'. I set MSE back to defaults and still 'Blop'.

I then attempted to install Xenial 7.5 puppy linux, kernel 4.9, uses Ubuntu 16 packages, on my 2003 Gateway 200ARC. Would not load sfs. Got suggestions from the puppy forum to try older versions.

7.0.1 could not run executable.

7.0.6 (smaller older faster kernel 4.1) wanted a PAE-capable CPU. 2003 laptops using pc2100 (FSB 400) with Pentium M cpus do not support PAE. Most others do. I collected at least five of these nice non-glare mostly non-widescreen laptops (Dell D505 600M 8500 Thinkpad T41).

Xenial 7.0.8.1 installed and Palemoon plays Daily Motion videos (if you accept all the javascript - which makes the site take about five minutes to load). Daily Motion offers full screen but I don't see a resolution setting.

1GB RAM is recommended. With Palemoon running it was using more than 1GB until I killed clipit, retrovol, cupsd and much more. I had to first kill X from a terminal to be able to do anything else.

Version 7.5 works on a 2004 HP with pc2700 (FSB 533) and 2GB RAM.

Tahr Puppy recommends 768MB and works with Pale Moon and Youtube at all resolutions (and smtube 18). I killed clipit and much more. 70% of cpu running X and Palemoon. Daily Motion loaded very quickly (even allowing all javascript) and played perfectly.

Someone said the newer Xenial kernel 4.9 slowed things to a crawl and 4.1 would work (except it requires PAE). Tahr is the solution to watching Youtube and Daily Motion with Pale Moon on older hardware with 768MB to 1GB RAM. With 512MB I would use smtube instead.

We have never watched Daily Motion before so Lucid Puppy is fine too.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-19, 14:52

I'm not saying that every site besides YouTube will break. If you change the settings and they work for you, then great. Just watch out for the dragons.

There are issues with the code in it's current state and the defaults are set the way they are because of this. When changing these settings YMMV but non-default media settings are not recommended nor supported so if you run into problems you'll be on your own.

This is my final post in this topic on this subject.

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-24, 16:51

Walter explained to me how to set up profiles with Pale Moon (palemoon -no-remote -P) so I can start it with default MSE settings, or with settings altered to work with Youtube at more than 360p. I created profiles that put their files outside the Puppy file system (not in /root) so they could be shared between different versions of Puppy linux.

Lucid Puppy (nv driver) needs the MSE settings changed to get all the resolutions.
On two laptops, Tahr, Dpup and Xenial Puppies (kernels 3 and 4) get all resolutions with default MSE settings.

On an HP dv6500 laptop with an Nvidia Geforce 7150M GPU, Tahr (and the other newer Puppies) would not work without nouveau.modeset=0, and with it they have the wrong resolution and no framebuffer console.

Lucid Puppy with kernels 2.6.33 (nv driver) and 3.0.25 (probably nv - not nouveau) works perfectly but needs MSE settings changed for Youtube multiple resolutions. I think Lupu with kernel 3 worked with default MSE settings on another laptop.

I was advised to get a better Nvidia driver for the newer Puppies (which requires kernel source code, and the devx package for compiling, and more) but in the meantime I tested Youtube with Lucid (kernel 3.0.25) and Tahr (kernel 3.14.56). I get only 360p unless I change MSE settings.

So the default MSE settings do not work for Youtube at multiple resolutions with Lucid Puppy (nv) on any laptop, or with the all-purpose nouveau driver (at least with one particular Geforce 7 GPU). They do work with other GPUs and Puppy linuxes with kernels 3 and 4.

Seb_L

Unread post by Seb_L » 2018-01-27, 17:49

Hello everyone,
first thanks for your palemoon build, my SSE cpu should thank you for keeping it able to browse the web.
But I have a problem during the install (I tried both local and /opt install)
after I made the setup of the tar and created the symlink, when I try to launch it I get an error :

/opt/palemoon/libxul.so: undefined symbol: _ZN9__gnu_cxx21_Hashable_prime_listImE16__stl_prime_listE, version xul3
Couldn't load XPCOM.

Is anyone able to help me ? :'(
Thanks for you help :)

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-27, 23:02

I do not install Pale Moon. I unpack it (tar -jxvf palemoon*.bz2) some place (/mnt/home/browsers in my case)
then from a prompt:

/mnt/home/browsers/palemoon/palemoon (Enter)

Then it finds all the required libraries in the palemoon directory.

You can make a script on the path such as /usr/local/bin to start it.

What is your version of libc? (in /lib)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-28, 00:17

Seb_L wrote:Hello everyone,
first thanks for your palemoon build, my SSE cpu should thank you for keeping it able to browse the web.
The quickest+easiest "install" is to your home directory, and you can skip the symlink...
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Seb_L

Unread post by Seb_L » 2018-01-29, 17:49

Walter Dnes wrote:
Seb_L wrote:Hello everyone,
The quickest+easiest "install" is to your home directory, and you can skip the symlink...
Hello,
I tried as you described but it's always the same answer...
I'm using libc2-9 on ubuntu 9.04 (I reinstalled it and did nothing more) (I know it's old, but I only want to use this computer for youtube and facebook, and I can't install a newer ubuntu, it doesn't work :( )

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-29, 17:54

Ubuntu 9.04 was released almost 9 years ago! Pale Moon is not going to run on a distro that ancient.

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-29, 18:14

Pale Moon SSE works well with Puppy Linux Lucid Pup 2016 (which can use
packages from Ubuntu 10, in 512MB RAM). Youtube plays at 360p only,
unless you change two MSE settings as described in this discussion by
Walter.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
This is a 2016 update of a 2010 linux.

If Lucid Puppy does not work, try Wary Puppy but you may need to update
glibc to 2.11. The later Puppy Linuxes require 768MB or 1GB (or more) and
often do not work on older hardware (video problems).

You can test with a live CD or bootable USB flash drive.

Seb_L

Unread post by Seb_L » 2018-01-29, 18:30

sindi wrote:Pale Moon SSE works well with Puppy Linux Lucid Pup 2016 (which can use
packages from Ubuntu 10, in 512MB RAM). Youtube plays at 360p only,
unless you change two MSE settings as described in this discussion by
Walter.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
This is a 2016 update of a 2010 linux.

If Lucid Puppy does not work, try Wary Puppy but you may need to update
glibc to 2.11. The later Puppy Linuxes require 768MB or 1GB (or more) and
often do not work on older hardware (video problems).

You can test with a live CD or bootable USB flash drive.
I can try Puppy linux as you advice me, but which version should I use?
There are so much ISOs on the topic...

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-29, 18:49

The link I just provided is for Lucid Puppy 2016, an update of
the original 2010 Lucid Puppy (which uses Ubuntu 10 packages)
with newer libraries. It works well with Walter's SSE Pale Moon,
which he compiled to not require newer glibc and other libraries.

What model and speed computer do you have? How much memory?
Lucid Puppy works with Pale Moon in 512MB RAM (or with less memory
offline or with lynx or Dillo browsers, non-javascript).

The newer Tahr Puppy (2014, uses Ubuntu 14 packages) calls for 768MB but I
use it in 512MB with swap file (just kill all unnecessary processes - I
can provide a script for that). Newer Puppy Linuxes run more slowly on
older hardware.

I use Lucid Puppy on my 2001 SSE laptop. Youtube is jerky at 360p but
might work at 240p (after you change MSE settings). You can instead
download youtube videos with youtube-dl or a Pale Moon add-on then view
with mplayer.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-30, 00:44

Seb_L wrote:I can try Puppy linux as you advice me, but which version should I use?
There are so much ISOs on the topic...
Lucid Puppy was last refreshed November 2017. There are more details in the first post at thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461 in the Puppy Linux forum. The most interesting versions are
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-02-02, 01:15

Version 27.7.2 is available for downloading. This is a security and stability update to the browser. Release notes for this version can be found on http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.7.2SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

danielsender

Unread post by danielsender » 2018-03-02, 08:40

Hi,

I just signed up on this forum right after I installed palemoon-27.7.2SSE on a Dell Inspiron 8100 32b with 512M memory (non SSE2). The system is Ubuntu 16.04.4.
I can open palemoon and whenever I want to change the URL the programme closes with the message "Illegal Instruction", after opening from a terminal rather than from the menu.
Please let me know what kind of information would be useful from my end to help debug the issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel