Pale Moon SSE for Linux

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Pale Moon SSE for Linux

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-11-14, 06:48

sindi wrote:I changed webm to TRUE and restarted and still have only 360p/auto.
Can I add the missing lines in about:config ?
No, adding them will not do anything. It is strongly recommended that you reset the media prefs to their default values, particularly the one for WebM.

Firefox and SeaMonkey's media backends are vastly different than Pale Moon's currently is. Just because something "works in Firefox" does not mean it will in Pale Moon (and in fact in many cases can make things worse).

@sindi do you have FFmpeg (and specifically the libavcodec component) installed? If so, what version is it?

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2017-11-14, 14:07

I have libav codec 52.72.2 in Lucid Puppy (Lupu) and possibly newer in Tahr puppy.
I did not install ffmpeg but lupu has it. Do FF or Seamonkey use these?

I only changed webm to true on your advice. It did not help (or hurt).

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-11-15, 06:31

sindi wrote:I have libav codec 52.72.2 in Lucid Puppy (Lupu) and possibly newer in Tahr puppy.
Try setting the "media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete" pref to "true in about:config.
sindi wrote:I did not install ffmpeg but lupu has it. Do FF or Seamonkey use these?
Yes they do, but again, their media backends are vastly different than Pale Moon's.
sindi wrote:I only changed webm to true on your advice. It did not help (or hurt).
I never recommended WebM be enabled. There are issues with it and it is recommended that you restore it to the default value.

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2017-11-15, 19:17

Setting media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete to TRUE fixed the problem!!! I will inform the puppy linux forum.

Could this be made the default setting for linux palemoon at least in the SSE version, which you compile with older libraries to work with puppy linuxes?
Lupu (2010) and even Tahr (2014-ubuntu-based) had the problem - libavcodec too old.

Is there some very good reason to try to update libavcodec in puppy linux?
Lupu has libavcodec 53.8.0 symlinked to libavcodec.so.
It also has 52 (not used) maybe left over from an update.

My 1GHz Inspiron 8100 displays Youtube in Palemoon at 144p using 56% of cpu.
It uses 92% (plus some usage by X etc) at 240p and is jerky and out of sync, and stops once in a while.

First time I have been able to watch Youtube from a browser on this computer.
240p will now be watchable on 2003 laptops with too little RAM for Seamonkey.

Youtube Auto is 480p on this computer and 360p on a faster computer. Not reality-based.

Many thanks, as always.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-11-15, 20:06

Version 27.6.1 is available for downloading. This is a minor bugfix update. The release notes for this version are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.6.1SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-11-29, 02:56

Version 27.6.2 is available for downloading. This is a security and minor bugfix update to the browser. The release notes for this version are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.6.2SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

mckaygerhard

Unread post by mckaygerhard » 2017-12-21, 00:03

could you provide me the settings and changes or at leas where to change to able to build with my older linux

i use older glibc6 2.7 and older gcc 4.4 please what you changed?

please was the build tricks used for that comṕilations?

i need some trick to able to made my own buils for the intranet in a controled community, we dont use too much the network only for gubernamental sites and banks websites.. we dont need constans upgrades nonsense in older hardware

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-12-21, 06:28

mckaygerhard wrote:could you provide me the settings and changes or at leas where to change to able to build with my older linux

i use older glibc6 2.7 and older gcc 4.4 please what you changed?

please was the build tricks used for that comṕilations?

i need some trick to able to made my own buils for the intranet in a controled community, we dont use too much the network only for gubernamental sites and banks websites.. we dont need constans upgrades nonsense in older hardware
Are you familiar with "The Mozilla Way" of building? It is NOT...

./configure --with-various-options && make && make install

I can supply you with a generic build script. You will want to build on a newer more powerful machine. There are 3 options;
  1. An actual CentOS 6.5 install on new machine (might not recognize some hardware)
    Inside a VM (Virtual Machine) like QEMU or VMware
    As a 32-bit chroot on a more modern linux host; it can usually be done on 32 or 64-bit machines.
I prefer the chroot. It's fast (no VM overhead) and can be switched off when not it use, leaving the host machine available for other stuff.

The build environment is based on 32-bit CentOS 6.5, for backwards compatability. Are you familiar with chroot environments? What may be the easiest way is for me to package up my 32-bit CentOS 6.5 chroot. It's close to 4 gigabytes as a tar.xz archive. I would need somewhere to upload it. I should probably do it as a few separate pieces, and you could "cat" the individual parts togaether. I would give you instructions for how I run it. PM me if you have a place for me to upload to. The main advantage is that it's functional right now and ready-to-go.

You can still get the ISO images from http://vault.centos.org/6.5/isos/i386/ and do a manual install. PM me for instructions Your install will require some development tools, specifically gcc. The only use for that version of gcc will be to build gcc-4.9.4, python 2.7, and YASM. That's what will build Pale Moon. You MUST NOT do a full YUM/whatever upgrade, especially GTK+2.. CentOS 6.5 comes with GTK+2.20, and Pale Moon will be built for it. Newer GTKs can handle that build. Machines with old GTK+2 cannot handle Pale Moon built against a newer GTK+2. An important backward-compatability setting in the mozconfig file is...
ac_add_options --enable-stdcxx-compat

You'll have to build python 2.7, gcc 4.9.4, and YASM. I can give you scripts for that. The only thing to use YUM for is to pull in autoconf 2.13. I can attach my basic directory structure and scripts as a small tarball. I have a few machines at home, and I build optimized versions for each one. My setup has multiple subdirectories, one for each of my machines, with machine-specific config files. There are symlinks to the source directory, so I only have to download once to do multiple builds for multiple machines. I turn off the GUI in the chroot. You need the X libs present, to build Pale Moon, but X does not have to be running during the build. This saves some memory, so the build goes faster.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-16, 03:12

Version 27.7.0 is available for downloading. This is a major update with bugfixes, enhancements and security/privacy changes. Release notes for this version can be found on http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.7.0SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Englishman

Unread post by Englishman » 2018-01-16, 11:19

My first post and I just wanted to say thank you for producing this ‘non-SSE2’ version of Pale Moon.

I have a couple of old, but still useful, 32 bit machines that I’ve converted to Linux over the last year or so with the demise of XP. I come from a UNIX background and was surprised to find that many current Linux distro’s have, or are about to, drop 32 bit support. Browsers seem to be following, but with the further restriction on SSE2 support.

In fact, until a few days ago, the only browsers I’d had found that worked under 32 bit Linux on this Abit NF7-S2 with an overclocked AMD XP 2500 were Opera 12.16 (several years old) and NetSurf (very limited capability).

I’ve been so impressed with Pale Moon though, that I’ve now ditched Firefox on my newer machines. I really think there must be a big opportunity for Pale Moon here, both to continue support for 32 bit browsers and also non-SSE2 processors – there must be an awful lot of older hardware out there, especially in poorer parts of the world that could benefit.

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-16, 18:58

Is there some very good reason to try to update libavcodec in puppy linux?
(quoted from my previous reply)

I just found a reason. The 'new' Youtube will again only play at 360p even with libavcodec obsolete allowed.
(It also will not work with any but the latest smtube 18.1, or with movgrab, though youtube-dl still works if you have Python - not in Wary Puppy).

Firefox 45.8 ESR (32-bit, GTK-2) and Seamonkey 2.4.6 (GTK2) both play all the resolutions.

Can Palemoon-SSE for linux be compiled to include whatever they use, rather than trying to add or update Puppy Linux codecs?
(I have not yet tried 27.7).

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-16, 19:06

Youtube still plays only 360p in PM 27.7.

Add-ons to avoid at least with Puppy Linux (lupu or tahr):

Youtube Cinema - completely blocks Youtube from playing (also in Win7)
Best Video Downloader - does not work (for me) - The EASY downloader works easily. Another downloader would not install (Jetpack)
Image and Flash Blocker - blocks ALL images (no way to stop it) and cookies. Image Block 3.1 is safe.
Adblocker for Youtube (jetpack) is not supported for Palemoon - is there some other way to block Youtube commercials before videos?

Do people have these problems with other linuxes?

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-16, 19:42

Adblock Plus (blocks youtube video ads) is not recommended for Palemoon due to stability issues.

The solutions I found require a Youtube account (sign in, change a setting, and do not upload anything that breaks copyright).
Or use Chrome or Firefox extensions. Or pay $10/month to Youtube.

My temporary solution is M for mute.
It takes longer to download a Youtube video than to wait 4-5 sec to be able to stop the ad.
I can download with youtube-dl and play with mplayer.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-16, 20:42

Google (Youtube's owner) has a commercial interest in defeating Youtube downloaders and adblockers. It's an ongoing "arms race". As for the Youtube 360 resolution, I wonder if they're doing things with the user agent string. Try setting in "about:config", the following two strings...

general.useragent.override.googlevideos.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

general.useragent.override.youtube.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2018-01-16, 21:27

The default code does not look too much like yours (which seems to be for Windows) so I tried changing just the versions
of Palemoon (from 27.6.2 to 27.7.0) and Firefox (from 38.9 and 42 to 57). That did not help. Please test the changes
yourself. What does Firefox do differently to get all the resolutions?

Google allows users with youtube accounts to turn off the advertising.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-17, 05:25

After some experimenting, I think I've found the "magic incantation" for multiple resolutions on Youtube in 27.7.0 SSE in Lupu...
Tools ==> Preferences ==> Content
In the bottom left corner is "Video" setup...
  • Checkmark "Enable Media Source Extensions (MSE)"
  • DO NOT checkmark "Use MSE asynchronously"
  • Checkmark "Enable MSE for MP4 video"
  • Checkmark "Enable MSE for WebM video"
You may have to restart Pale Moon for it to take effect. This gives me access to all the video modes.
Last edited by Walter Dnes on 2018-01-17, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-17, 10:34

Wrong again. Dnes go home, you're drunk.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-17, 13:58

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Wrong again. Dnes go home, you're drunk.
??? I actually have a Lucid Puppy install on an off-lease Lenovo at home. The default install was stuck in 360p mode for Youtube, just as Sindi stated. The tweaks I listed enabled other display modes.

BTW, with those same settings on a modern OS, https://www.youtube.com/html5 gives me
Youtube HTML5 capabilities
Youtube HTML5 capabilities
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-17, 14:45

This is not a solution and should not be recommended. WebM support in Pale Moon has some known issues, and disabling async MSE may help with YouTube but it will break other sites.

There are reasons as to why the defaults are set the way they are.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-01-17, 15:19

I stopped at the first combination that worked. I'll try other combos, and see what happens.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way