Pale Moon SSE for Linux

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Pale Moon SSE for Linux

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-04-28, 21:19

Version 27.3.0 is available for downloading. This is a major development update with plenty of enhancements, new features and bug- and security fixes. You may find the release notes for this version on the website: http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Darroch

Unread post by Darroch » 2017-06-04, 18:12

Thank you very much for supporting an sse version of Pale Moon. There are many, many people using old PCs without sse2 (and higher) all over the world: some are poor students, or elderly, or living in poorer countries or in the third world using old unwanted equipment donated by others or simply can't afford to spend money updating their hardware. Some are elderly and fixed in their ways and are used to using a PC with all they need on it and don't want to have to learn how to use a new one.

I, for one, really appreciate the Linux version of Pale Moon sse which I have just installed on my old Athlon XP under Linux Mint 17 Qiana, now that Mozilla have gone the way of Chromium, Chrome, Op[era and now Firefox et al and made their browser all sse2 compliant. Your version of Pale Moon works great on the Mate version of Linux Mint on my old - but still usable - PC with a 32-bit Athlon XP Thoroughbred CPU.

Marvellous!

Keep up the good work.

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2017-06-05, 00:29

I just installed Pale Moon (after first installing two dbus libraries) on a DELL 600m laptop (1.5GHz running at 40% of speed because the DELL power supply
apparenly has a broken wire so Speedstep steps down the speed) at the request of a friend who sets up computers to give away free to his low-income
neighbors. He uses computers rescued from dumpsters or given to him. They are generally unfixable or obsolete.

This is his first request for linux. He admits that Windows 7 is NOT the thing for a 14 year old computer with 512MB RAM (or even 1GB). 512MB is
sufficient for Pale Moon but not for Seamonkey (which also supports SSE). I usually put on the updated Lucid Puppy (Dec 2016) but it refused to boot, and
Slacko Puppy complained of a missing algo kex when I attempted to ssh. Wary Puppy always works (even on a PII) though it required a glibc update (to
2.11) and the dbus libraries (reboot after installing so it will make a machine-id).

I may trade him an 800MHz PIII (circa 1999) with good power supply and offer him another PIII already set up with Lucid Puppy for his next client.

This is being written on my main computer - a 1GHz DELL 8100 PIII that cost about $3500 in 2000.

lazyaccountname
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by lazyaccountname » 2017-06-15, 21:12

First time trying Linux out here and I figured I'd go for Lubuntu on this Athlon XP. After the frustration of not being able to run even the version of Firefox that came pre-installed with the system (most likely because of this whole SSE business) I somehow managed to get the SSE build of PM 27.3.0 linked in this topic, followed the instructions and installed the program. It opens fine, but upon trying to visit any site, the browser closes and I get "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" in the terminal.

Now I'm completely lost. Do I need to update something in the system before using PM? Did Walter somehow miss some SSE2 instructions while building this version of 27.3.0? Is there any way to get older builds (I only see the most recent one on ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/)?

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2017-06-15, 22:22

If you have more than 512MB RAM try Seamonkey 2.46 - it works (with swapping to hard disk) on my Pentium III DELL 8100 laptop (2001, 1.0GHz).

Nongraphical browsers lynx, links/links2/elinks should also work but no javascript support.
Lynx can display images using framebuffer console and fbi image viewer.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2690 ... using-utf8

mentions this same problem. The fix is to compile with older g++ or to drop -msse3 -O3 or replace -O3 with -O2 optimization.

GCC 4.8.3 causes the illegal instruction problem.

The details are way beyond my understanding.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-06-16, 02:25

lazyaccountname wrote:It opens fine, but upon trying to visit any site, the browser closes and I get "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" in the terminal.

Now I'm completely lost. Do I need to update something in the system before using PM? Did Walter somehow miss some SSE2 instructions while building this version of 27.3.0? Is there any way to get older builds (I only see the most recent one on ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/)?
It's definitely not SSE2 instructions. If that was the case, then everybody with a Pentium 3 or Pentium 3m would have the same crashes. The Athlon XP supports more instructions than the Pentium 3. I use GCC 4.9.4 in a CentOS 6.5 chroot to build the SSE version. The GCC 4.9.4 docs are no longer on line, but the GCC 6.3.0 docs at https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-6.3. ... 86-Options list cpu features as...

Code: Select all

‘pentium3’
‘pentium3m’
    Intel Pentium III CPU, based on Pentium Pro core with MMX and SSE instruction set support. 

[...deletia...]

‘athlon-4’
‘athlon-xp’
‘athlon-mp’
    Improved AMD Athlon CPU with MMX, 3DNow!, enhanced 3DNow! and full SSE instruction set support.
Please post the complete contents of /proc/cpuinfo from your machine. You can cat /proc/cpuinfo > cpu.txt and then either paste the contents into a post, or attach the cpu.txt file as an attachment. I want to dig a bit deeper into this.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

lazyaccountname
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by lazyaccountname » 2017-06-16, 12:52

I tried looking a bit more into this, and there's definitely something messed up with my system - I managed to install Firefox 45 ESR, which I know for sure should run here (as it runs just fine on Windows), but it also crashes on startup in my Lubuntu setup. In addition to that, every other browser that crashes also gives me the "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" in the terminal, and I recall the Firefox from the LiveCD not crashing at all. Maybe the automatic update that happened right after I installed the system broke something? I'll try to reinstall it later today to check, and stop bothering you people since it more than likely isn't a PM-only issue.
Walter Dnes wrote:Please post the complete contents of /proc/cpuinfo from your machine. You can cat /proc/cpuinfo > cpu.txt and then either paste the contents into a post, or attach the cpu.txt file as an attachment. I want to dig a bit deeper into this.
But in any case, here it is.

Code: Select all

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 2000.047
cache size	: 256 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 1
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fdiv_bug	: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow 3dnowprefetch vmmcall
bugs		: fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs
bogomips	: 4000.09
clflush size	: 32
cache_alignment	: 32
address sizes	: 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Pale Moon SSE for Linux94

Unread post by sindi » 2017-06-16, 15:16

To test if Lubuntu is the problem, try another linux. I suggest a version of Puppy Linux.

There is a Dec 2016 Lucid Puppy Revitalized (needs 512MB RAM to work well).

If it will not boot try Wary Puppy, which needs glibc updated and libdbus added to work with PM (or probably Firefox).

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-06-16, 17:42

lazyaccountname wrote:I tried looking a bit more into this, and there's definitely something messed up with my system - I managed to install Firefox 45 ESR, which I know for sure should run here (as it runs just fine on Windows), but it also crashes on startup in my Lubuntu setup. In addition to that, every other browser that crashes also gives me the "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" in the terminal, and I recall the Firefox from the LiveCD not crashing at all. Maybe the automatic update that happened right after I installed the system broke something? I'll try to reinstall it later today to check, and stop bothering you people since it more than likely isn't a PM-only issue.
Which version of Lubuntu are you running? The latest version (16.10 Yakkety Yak) requires http://lubuntu.me/yakkety-released/
Processor (CPU)

The minimum specification for CPU is Pentium 4 or Pentium M or AMD K8. Older processors are too slow and the AMD K7 has problems with Flash video.
The K8 was released after the Athlon-XP, and supports instructions that the XP doesn't, specifically SSE2, enhanced 3DNow!, and 64-bit mode.. It looks like the Athlon-XP doesn't support the latest Lubuntu; I second Sindi's suggestion that you try Puppy Linux.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

lazyaccountname
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by lazyaccountname » 2017-06-16, 20:00

I might have found the problem, simply uninstalling the Flash plugin (by uninstalling flashplugin-installer from Synaptic, I don't know if there are more efficient ways) seems to have made me able to open sites with Pale Moon again, or at least Google, which was crashing me immediately when I first posted. Firefox has started working as well. I had completely forgotten that the plugin stopped supporting SSE-only CPUs a very long time ago, and that I had chosen to install third-party plugins during the system setup. I'll keep testing for a bit longer to see if any more issues come up, but hopefully that was all of it.

Sorry for bothering you people about something that wasn't even tightly related to PM.

As for which version of Lubuntu I got, it was 17.04, the latest one listed at lubuntu.net. I'll consider trying Puppy out at a later point, thanks for the suggestion.

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2017-06-16, 22:08

For watching Youtube try smtube instead of Flash. Far less cpu and memory intensive. Use it with an mplayer that supports SSE.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-07-13, 04:26

Version 27.4.0 is available for downloading. This is a major development update with plenty of enhancements, new features and bug- and security fixes. You may find the release notes for this version on the website: http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.4.0SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2017-07-15, 14:20

Installed to 2001 DELL 8100 (SSE) and 2005 HP (SSE2) and so far everything works. Is there something specific we should test?

Why is this linux SSE version not listed under unofficial versions as a version for Puppy Linux and other SSE linux?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-07-15, 20:37

sindi wrote:Why is this linux SSE version not listed under unofficial versions as a version for Puppy Linux and other SSE linux?
Because it's listed as an official version on the front page of the Pale Moon Linux site.

rjohnsto

Unread post by rjohnsto » 2017-07-18, 08:03

Hello, I just thought I should report this somewhere hopefully someone more capable can fix the problem.

On certain webpages PM hangs when I follow a link to an MP3. On other pages it plays the MP3.
I have ffmpeg installed and I've checked with PM SSE versions 26.5.0, 27.3.0 and 27.4.0 with the same results.

One of the problem pages is
http://danger-man.co.uk/music.asp
click on any mp3 link.

I hope someone can find the problem.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-07-18, 19:05

rjohnsto wrote:On certain webpages PM hangs when I follow a link to an MP3. On other pages it plays the MP3.
I have ffmpeg installed and I've checked with PM SSE versions 26.5.0, 27.3.0 and 27.4.0 with the same results.

One of the problem pages is
http://danger-man.co.uk/music.asp
click on any mp3 link.
The 27.4.0 SSE version works on a test machine here, even on the Danger-Man site. Do you have a recent version of Adobe Flash installed? If so uninstall it. The Flash plugin uses the SSE2 instruction set (Pentium 4 class), which will cause hangs on machines that only have the SSE instruction set (Pentium 3 class). And please do not take the risk of running a really ancient Flash from before the SSE2 switchover.

Many websites can detect Flash plugins. If found, they'll serve up content via Flash. If not, they'll use HTML5. I do not have Flash installed on the test machine, and almost all websites work fine.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

sindi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by sindi » 2017-07-18, 22:32

libgcflashplayer.so (flash 11.2) supports SSE
available on the web from http://ww1.datafilehost.com/d/796ff3f2
or included in Google Chrome 19 (says a website)
or available for Debian buried in a .deb file
I could also upload it (17MB).
Symlink it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
(cd to plugins then ln -s /path/to/libgcflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so, or copy it to there and rename it libflashplayer.so)

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-08-03, 18:44

Version 27.4.1 is available for downloading. This is a small update to address some media and web compatibility issues. The release notes for this version are at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16299

The download URL is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.4.1SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-08-22, 21:17

Version 27.4.2 is available for downloading. This is a small update to address some security and stability issues. The release notes for this version are at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16457

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.4.2SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.[/quote]
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-09-16, 13:22

I'll be taking a short vacation next week. I won't be around, Sept 18th-to-22nd, to answer questions or do a new build if a new release of Pale Moon comes out in the next few days. Things should be back to normal on the 23rd.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way