Pale Moon SSE for Linux

For contributed third party builds not necessarily configured like the main product.
e.g. AVX builds, SSE builds, Pandora builds.

Moderators: Indalecio, satrow

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pale Moon SSE for Linux

Postby Walter Dnes » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 am

Version 27.5.0 is available for downloading. This is a small update to address some security and stability issues. The release notes for this version are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.5.0SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.

kozaki
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby kozaki » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Question about Pale moon's add-ons compatibillity with the SSE build. Tried to install Guerilla Scripting add-on + FB purity greasemonkey script, after we confirmed heavy websites like Facebook being barely usable on Athlon XP machines. Using Bodhi Linux and Pale moon SSE, with the usual few add-ons that usually help keeping our browser snappy on the Web, RAM is'nt the issue (no swap being used in this case). Actually Guerilla scripting add-on for Palemoon installs on Palemoon sse, but creates no folder(s) in ~/.moonchild.../pale moon/PROFILE/guerillajs, so scripts can't be installed. Manually creating Guerilla's folders and copying/pasting the script does not make them work at all in my tests. Though I found no line indicating Greasemonkey could require SSE2 so far.
Anybody tried to install Greasemonkey-like add-on and script on the SSE build please?

I want to thank Walter and the Pale moon team for making this browser's releases quickly available for good old SSE-only CPUs. Kuddos <3

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby Walter Dnes » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 am

kozaki wrote:Actually Guerilla scripting add-on for Palemoon installs on Palemoon sse, but creates no folder(s) in ~/.moonchild.../pale moon/PROFILE/guerillajs, so scripts can't be installed. Manually creating Guerilla's folders and copying/pasting the script does not make them work at all in my tests. Though I found no line indicating Greasemonkey could require SSE2 so far.
Anybody tried to install Greasemonkey-like add-on and script on the SSE build please?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Greasemonkey. Are you using the regular Firefox version? Or the Pale Moon specific fork of Greasemonkey at https://github.com/janekptacijarabaci/greasemonkey/releases ?

Another adblocking option is "Adblock Latitude", a Pale Moon specific fork of Adblock Plus.

The approach that I use is to get, and block, a specific list of of adservers targetted at a specific website. See post https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16609&#p122956 It's not as complex as it looks; I went to some length to get the instructions detailed.

kozaki
Moongazer
Moongazer

Postby kozaki » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Walter! I installed the Palemoon add-on (linked in my post). EDIT: will try the other one you linked on the SSE machines next Monday, thx!
"Greasemonkey" scripts are about revamping --and let you choose very precisely how/what you allow your browser to display rather than just blocking. *I* go this way (I use a system-wide utility called hostsblocks from gaenserich as it takes *no* resources), for my own semi-enlighted use. But these systems I've posted for we put on good old computers that we refurbish at the local DIY house. To lent/give to computer-newbies. The point is we'd (the DIY neighbors) much rather not choose what they can see, generally speaking. It's *not* the point (actually nearly its opposite). When they wanna clean the Web they see, let them want it, then ask/learn how to do it. The point is, these little SSE machines we're configuring are well able to display HD videos. But we live in easy-criticizing times and we'd like to lower these critics e.g. « can't use Facebook » (and next websites alike) if possible :think: Or we'll use the sse2 machines for these "big sites" fans :|

Walter Dnes
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby Walter Dnes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 am

Version 27.5.1 is available for downloading. This is a security and stability update to the browser, as well as fixing some issues users have indicated. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

The download URL for the SSE build is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.5.1SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in this thread for install instructions.

Return to “Contributed 3rd Party Builds”